Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

View Poll Results: Do you think the "Rocky Top" Venture will affect the Clinch River?
Yes, I think the river will suffer immensely from this project. 7 46.67%
I am not sure how it will affect the river. 5 33.33%
I could care less how it affects the river. 3 20.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-09-2014, 04:25 PM

Exclamation Rocky Top, TN-Death of The Lower Clinch Tailwater?

Rocky Top, TN-Death of The Lower Clinch Tailwater?

I am curious in what my fellow LRO Forum Members think about Lake City changing to Rocky Top and implementing dictatorship changes. To clarify; my stance is against this name change and disastrous endeavor. I feel that the plan is and has been pushed through the legal/democratic system of a city in dire need of hope. I believe LC/RT is controlled by 2-3 businessman and several of the city council members are expecting to receive financial returns on this venture. That issue in itself is a conflict of interest. Let us disregard this change's history or intention and discuss the economical impact on the Clinch River.

I know for a fact, from my research/samplings, and experiences that Coal Creek from Lake City is a polluting source for the Clinch River. It is astonishing how influential the creek is on the Clinch after heavy rains. Coal Creek is extremely toxic to trout and most fish habitat.

That being stated-as my opinion; how do you think the Clinch will be impacted from the water parks, construction projects, lack of sewage capabilities, etc. from the "Rocky Top" exploit?
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Last edited by MadisonBoats; 07-09-2014 at 05:53 PM..
Old 07-09-2014, 05:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite

I work in lake city from time to time...its a hole in the wall broke town and I don't see that changing....especially from a name change. All government, local to the highest federal is run by a select few very wealthy people....most legislature is derived and passed by a few who will gain from it....
Old 07-09-2014, 06:51 PM

They can change the name to whatever they wish and it won't change the town.

The Clinch tailwater is facing far more serious threats than anything coming out of Coal Creek. If anything the water quality is better now than 10 years ago in that stream. The Clinch trout have survived and thrived for eons with both it and cane creek emptying goodness into the river.

Lets solve the stocking issue, poaching, stripers, cormorants, and a litany of other issues before worrying over the @sshole of Anderson county

Last edited by Byron Begley; 07-13-2014 at 09:10 AM..
Old 07-09-2014, 10:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite

Maybe its water level, angler pressure or lack of stocking...but this is the worst year I've seen for fishing the clinch....smoky mountain sized bows, it seems less holdover fish, and far fewer great catching days...
Old 07-09-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
They can change the name to whatever they wish and it won't change what's an absolute armpit of a town.
^^^^^^^ This.

I'm not sure what the development cost of the project is, but I see them getting about 2 million into it and going belly up. Why in the world would the typical "northerner" stop at Lake City when Pigeon Forge is only an hour away?
Old 07-10-2014, 06:32 AM

Waterwolf +2

Plus state and federal water regulations cannot not be ignored in whatever development occurs there.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:40 AM

Not going to help the town one bit. Its just a highly depressed area. Everyone I went to high school with, that developed half a brain, got out of Lake City as soon as they graduated.

You've gotta admit though, they have a strange way of picking names. Lake City....no lake in town. Rocky Top....nowhere near the top of a mountain.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Lets solve the stocking issue, poaching, stripers, cormorants
Bingo - I agree lets solve this

My Blog: Fly Fish East Tennessee
www.flyfisheasttennessee.blogspot.com

><>
Old 07-10-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2weightfavorite View Post
..... All government, local to the highest federal is run by a select few very wealthy people....most legislature is derived and passed by a few who will gain from it....
  • This is very true with the City of Lake City/RT.
Quote:
They can change the name to whatever they wish and it won't change what's an absolute armpit of a town.

The Clinch tailwater is facing far more serious threats than anything coming out of Coal Creek.
  • Jim, yes; there have been some huge improvements from some hardworking individuals and groups. However; there will be more caustic runoff from streets, drainage, etc. that will impact the Clinch. All it will take is some underpaid teenager to accidentally release the wrong valve and dump thousands of gallons of chlorinated water in to Coal Creek. These are issues that need to be thought about and brought up in conversations going forward. Especially since the waterpark is on the plans first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Congleton View Post
Waterwolf +2

Plus state and federal water regulations cannot not be ignored in whatever development occurs there.
  • Unfortunately, this happens everyday in small municipalities and are rarely self-reported due to ignorance and fear of repercussions. If you look through the EPA Permit/Webpage for A.C.; you will see numerous infractions and the inspection process is very laxed and suspect to bias.
**To give you some background; I have tried to volunteer for chamber of commerce needs and other areas in Lake City only to be disregarded without any feed back or notices. My inquiries from the inner circle have insinuated that the 2-3 LC power-holders do not want anyone to threaten their influence of control.

I guess we will see how this mess plays out. There are so many grey areas involved that it unsettles my soul to think about. No feasibility studies, no referendum votes from the people, and most of all-a set of characters involved that are also part of the Group. I check the TN Comptroller's Website and none of them have filed a conflict of interest report as civil servants. There are so many more opportunities LC could utilize to build it back to a respectful town without the risks.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Last edited by Byron Begley; 07-13-2014 at 09:14 AM..
Old 07-10-2014, 12:49 PM

You can put lipstick on a pig, even change it's name to Sus Domesticus, and it's still a PIG!

There are far more serious threats as posted earlier starting with the stripers and poaching.