Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

View Poll Results: Do you think the "Rocky Top" Venture will affect the Clinch River?
Yes, I think the river will suffer immensely from this project. 7 46.67%
I am not sure how it will affect the river. 5 33.33%
I could care less how it affects the river. 3 20.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-10-2014, 03:38 PM

I thought the rocky top name was nixed under threat of litigation by those who own the rights to the song?

I'm with water wolf on bigger fish to fry, but I also have seen coal creek absolutely pollute the river downstream. It doesn't need any help to do so...

2weight, I have also had the same experiences. I thought I was just stinkin the place up this year. That or all the didymo above the weir was the culprit. I have rarely seen bottom up there that wasn't fuzzy

Email Punk

http://lastdrifteffort.blogspot.com
Old 07-10-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77punk View Post
I thought the rocky top name was nixed under threat of litigation by those who own the rights to the song?

I'm with water wolf on bigger fish to fry, but I also have seen coal creek absolutely pollute the river downstream. It doesn't need any help to do so...

2weight, I have also had the same experiences. I thought I was just stinkin the place up this year. That or all the didymo above the weir was the culprit. I have rarely seen bottom up there that wasn't fuzzy
By pollute do you mean dump mud water in the river after a big rain event?

Cane creek dumps mud water in as well, and so does every tributary to every stream/river/creek in this country.

Luckily the Clinch drains such a small watershed once it begins again below the dam, that runoff concerns are very minor if not unimportant when compared to the really serious threats the river faces currently.

Last edited by waterwolf; 07-10-2014 at 07:17 PM..
Old 07-10-2014, 11:38 PM

Shawn and others:

I'm going to chime in a general way on this issue but I really don't know anything about this situation. But I will say that left to the devices of others wrangling in the shadows, these things have a way of getting out of hand and usually at every one else's expense.

Be concerned, stay vigilant, get involved before hand, and pray you're wrong. Take it from somebody who grew up in the '50's and watched the literal dismantling piece by piece of our dear country beginning in the '60's, people aren't getting any less greedy. They are getting lazier. They expect more from everyone else (entitlement), they contribute less themselves, and all their energy is consumed by complaining after the fact.

Seems like the town is going after the "tourist" dollars, but the problem there is, there are fewer and fewer tourist dollars from one year to the next. With the economy the way it is, any reliance on an unsustainable tourist attraction or two is going to fail faster than a can of Lysol at a city dump. Hopefully, sounder thinking will prevail.

-don't tell me why we can't, tell me how we can.- whitefeather
Old 07-11-2014, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitefeather View Post
Shawn and others:
Be concerned, stay vigilant, get involved before hand, and pray you're wrong. Take it from somebody who grew up in the '50's and watched the literal dismantling piece by piece of our dear country beginning in the '60's, people aren't getting any less greedy. They are getting lazier. They expect more from everyone else (entitlement), they contribute less themselves, and all their energy is consumed by complaining after the fact.
Thanks for adding light to my post! My desire is to only invoke the spirit to think and to act with the mind and not the heart.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 07-11-2014, 05:51 PM

With any man made changes in any area it does affect the surrounding areas in many ways. If tourist come into a area and it is popular it can devastate the area.

Growing up I would travel from my home in Michigan to my Grand parents in Western North Carolina. There was a sleepy little town I thought was so quaint. It was a little town with little stores, no one in a rush, everything seemed so nice. In time it turning into now what I would call a mad house, the sleepy little town is called Pigeon Forge, Tennessee.

There were just a few pottery stores and a concrete statue place with a few little roadside gift shops. But now its what it is, for what progress has done to it.

With the Clinch River being what it is, is it could become a TU hot spot for fishermen. Or a playland, wading, toss big rocks into the river, rafting, canoeing, party hot spot from ****. Or maybe a slow moving septic field due to over population growth.

Someone said there are state and federal regulations they have to follow, what a joke. Its who you know and how much you payed to their campaign in most cases.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnohero View Post
With any man made changes in any area it does affect the surrounding areas in many ways. If tourist come into a area and it is popular it can devastate the area.

Growing up I would travel from my home in Michigan to my Grand parents in Western North Carolina. There was a sleepy little town I thought was so quaint. It was a little town with little stores, no one in a rush, everything seemed so nice. In time it turning into now what I would call a mad house, the sleepy little town is called Pigeon Forge, Tennessee.

There were just a few pottery stores and a concrete statue place with a few little roadside gift shops. But now its what it is, for what progress has done to it.

With the Clinch River being what it is, is it could become a TU hot spot for fishermen. Or a playland, wading, toss big rocks into the river, rafting, canoeing, party hot spot from ****. Or maybe a slow moving septic field due to over population growth.

Someone said there are state and federal regulations they have to follow, what a joke. Its who you know and how much you payed to their campaign in most cases.

There's so many incorrect statements I don't even know where to begin.

The Clinch has been a TU hot spot for decades.
The Clinch once had several recreational canoe outfitters on its banks, they're gone because there was little joy in freezing to death in August.

Fretting over what might happen while ignoring what is happening is a fools errand. Right now, and I mean today. Stripers are decimating the trout population, poachers are blatantly violating the law, and the threat of stocking ending looms in the near future. These are real issues, not some ill hashed development idea, or a govt conspiracy theory.

Deal with today's problems today, worry about tomorrow's problems tomorrow
Old 07-12-2014, 03:43 AM

Focus on the issues at hand, that being the bucket brigades poaching out what stockings do occur and the impact of the increasing striper population in the river. Developing conspiracy theories on the "what-ifs" is like missing the forest for the tree in front of you.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
There's so many incorrect statements I don't even know where to begin.

The Clinch has been a TU hot spot for decades.
The Clinch once had several recreational canoe outfitters on its banks, they're gone because there was little joy in freezing to death in August.

Fretting over what might happen while ignoring what is happening is a fools errand. Right now, and I mean today. Stripers are decimating the trout population, poachers are blatantly violating the law, and the threat of stocking ending looms in the near future. These are real issues, not some ill hashed development idea, or a govt conspiracy theory.

Deal with today's problems today, worry about tomorrow's problems tomorrow
Jim,
If you can have faith in me based on my history of posts and their intentions to help and share with others; please think objectively about how the current situation is fixable and the future situation can be disastrous.

This development debacle has the full potential to dwarf the problems you speak about. Imagine all the beautiful farms along the Clinch changed to hundreds of condos. Imagine the Vanoy Farm below the dam peppered with waterfront homes and condos on the river. I am sure you remember the over speculation of the World's Fair back in the day. I agree we need to address current problems and work to fix them. However; we need to discuss and raise flags about potential problems in the future that cannot be reversed. I believe in getting in front of problems and not hiding behind them. The Clinch landscape has been saved several times by a few inquisitive people who have thwarted backdoor-rezoning. I know there are 2-3 developers right now working very hard to pepper the banks with multi-unit homes.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 07-12-2014, 02:06 PM

Speaking of developers, does any one remember seeing the 6 or so log condos built on the very water's edge of the Tuckaseegee river in WNC, between the res and Bryson city on the Cherokee side of the river. They were built on 8 foot concrete walls to be above the water line as I remember, but still, right on the rivers edge? Seems some or most developers will do anything to make a buck. When I first seen this, I thought "those crazy ba----ds are just plain nuts." So I wouldn't put anything past the developers and those that accept their "bribes".

-don't tell me why we can't, tell me how we can.- whitefeather
Old 07-12-2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
Jim,
If you can have faith in me based on my history of posts and their intentions to help and share with others; please think objectively about how the current situation is fixable and the future situation can be disastrous.

This development debacle has the full potential to dwarf the problems you speak about. Imagine all the beautiful farms along the Clinch changed to hundreds of condos. Imagine the Vanoy Farm below the dam peppered with waterfront homes and condos on the river. I am sure you remember the over speculation of the World's Fair back in the day. I agree we need to address current problems and work to fix them. However; we need to discuss and raise flags about potential problems in the future that cannot be reversed. I believe in getting in front of problems and not hiding behind them. The Clinch landscape has been saved several times by a few inquisitive people who have thwarted backdoor-rezoning. I know there are 2-3 developers right now working very hard to pepper the banks with multi-unit homes.
I don't disagree that we can't take anything for granted or let potential threats fester.

I just feel that several threats facing the river today demand attention over a development.

The stripers need to be dealt with yesterday, and this stocking issue has the potential to be a huge issue.

I also believe TWRA has basically stopped stocking fingerlings which will result in a much lower fish population. I've fished the river a bunch this year, and although I've had some great days I would say overall things look pretty grim. The fish population is smaller than I've ever seen and really is top heavy.

I'm happy to voice my concerns to the Anderson County powers about my opposition to the development.

In addition I'm going to wage war on the stripers next week, and I mean a shock and awe campaign