Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-10-2014, 02:51 PM

I'm sorry for your loss. There is nothing like a good dog, I'm glad of the ones I've owned. Or perhaps they owned me. I never was quite sure which way that went.

hNt
Old 07-10-2014, 02:53 PM

So sorry to hear this! I had to put my dog down a few months back. The pain is still there but goes away a little more each day. So to do the memories get sweeter each day.

Hang in there.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:09 PM

Default Two Old Trout Bums

First, thanks to all of you for your kind words and condolences. Animal lovers and fishermen/women have always been the kindest people I have known.

I got Buddy from the Brown County Humane Society when he was four months old. He was voluntarily given up by a family that decided he was too much to deal with, after running away numerous times. I went in there to check out a Jack Russel terrier and there was Buddy in the cage next to the JR. He looked at me with such sad eyes as if to say, "please take me home", and I fell in love with him there and then. He rode home with me on my lap, in my little sports car.

At first, he was a wayward puppy, getting out of the yard, with me having to go around to all the houses in our lake community, looking for him. I already had an electric fence around my property, but it wasn't in use, so I repaired it and got it working. Then I introduced Buddy to Mr. Sparky. It only took once and he got the idea.

I knew then he was a very smart dog, so I retrieved my Laborador training book from my library shelf and began refreshing. I began training Buddy with a rope toy that he liked and soon we were making progress. I was between jobs then, so I spent the next 6 months of my free time with Buddy, training him with various commands. At the end of six months he understood and responded to over 75 commands. By the time he was two years old, we had increased that to well over 150 commands. He would hunt, seek, fetch, find the missing kitty, retrieve both on land and in the water and so forth. He was the smartest dog I ever had, and I've had quite a few.

When I took a job driving an 18-wheeler, he rode the passenger captains chair, with a seat belt harness I made for him. He went all over the US with me, and guarded the truck with a zeal. One time a very rude and smart aleck DOT officer jumped up on the running board like he was going to get in the truck, but Buddy stopped him dead in his tracks, with his teeth bared and growling like he was going to take the guys head off. The DOT officer decided he would go elsewhere, in a hurry.

When I was waiting for a dock, we would play his favorite game, tennis ball. It wouldn't be too long before he had a half-dozen other drivers involved, trying to throw him a ball he couldn't catch.

And then in 2004, my wife and I brought him to the Smokies on vacation. Staying at Smokemont, he loved to play ball in the Bradley Fork, chasing the ball as it floated down the river. So he became a Smoky Mountain puppy. Once a lady ranger came up to us as we were parked in the back of Smokemount, at the trail head. She came to tell us we couldn't take him on the trail and I told her we were just there in the parking lot resting for a bit. She asked about Buddy, and I decided that was a good time to demo a well trained animal to her. She was impressed, especially when I told Buddy to "give Mom a kiss", pointing to the ranger. He walked up her, sat down, held out his paw, and when she went to shake it, he gave her a small lick on the forehead, as they shook hands.

Sorry for being long winded. I could probably write a book's worth of anecdotes about Buddy and his adventures. It help's me feel better. Some very good memories, indeed.

I used the picture I posted at the top of this thread as a new background for my home computer, He sure loved the water.

Buddy, I love you old boy...what's a good dog do? There you go, good boy! Shake...good boy...other paw...GOOD BOY!

-don't tell me why we can't, tell me how we can.- whitefeather

Last edited by whitefeather; 07-10-2014 at 03:37 PM.. Reason: added picture
Old 07-10-2014, 05:00 PM

I too wish to add how sorry I am to hear of your fishing buddy's passing. After my divorce I swapped out a set of golf clubs for a pure breed lab puppy...just a black fur ball with a little pink tongue. She was my constant companion even to the mountains. Named her after my favorite spot in the Park...Smoky Brook of Elkmont. Her favorite spot was Metcalf Bottoms and would swim there for hours. She died during a hurricane after being with me 12 years. By then I had a son who had been raised by her. Part of her is there at Elkmont as I spread some of ashes off the bridge there above the campground. There is not a time that I fish up there that I am not tugged back to that dog...I know there is an awfully big hole in your heart over such a great companion. Kudos to you for taking him in and loving him like you did...prayers for you both.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog 1 View Post
I too wish to add how sorry I am to hear of your fishing buddy's passing. After my divorce I swapped out a set of golf clubs for a pure breed lab puppy...just a black fur ball with a little pink tongue. She was my constant companion even to the mountains. Named her after my favorite spot in the Park...Smoky Brook of Elkmont. Her favorite spot was Metcalf Bottoms and would swim there for hours. She died during a hurricane after being with me 12 years. By then I had a son who had been raised by her. Part of her is there at Elkmont as I spread some of ashes off the bridge there above the campground. There is not a time that I fish up there that I am not tugged back to that dog...I know there is an awfully big hole in your heart over such a great companion. Kudos to you for taking him in and loving him like you did...prayers for you both.
Rog1, thank you my friend for those kind words. Sorry that you too have had to experience the loss of your good friend, fishing companion and protector of your son.

Dogs, especially Labs, are so special! They are loyal to a fault to their masters and families. They never complain, they never ridicule, they never judge, they never say no to your wishes, and they are always happy to see you when you come home.

Our other adopted dog, Reese, a small Min Pin is just beside himself with sorrow, as well as our cats. They all worshiped Buddy as their protector and pack leader. When he would go outside to do his duty in the morning and evening, all the outside kitties would line up and follow him around the property. He would retrieve any stragglers every evening after dark, so they could be put in the garage, safe from the coyote packs. He's going to be a hard act to follow for any dog we might get in the future, but he can never be replaced.

My wife and I have been rescuing animals for 47 years now and we never turn one away with out finding them a good, loving home. I guess that's been our real calling all along.

-don't tell me why we can't, tell me how we can.- whitefeather
Old 07-11-2014, 04:16 PM

Sorry to hear it...it's hard to lose em.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:07 PM

Man o man, you got me choked up just reading about Buddy. I know it hurts...I dread the day my "Butter" is not here with me. She's the spitting image of Buddy. You're right, there's nothing like the love of a lab. They can turn a rough day into a good one with the unabashed joy they display as you walk through the door. My condolences.