Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 07-20-2014, 08:16 PM

Default Smallmouth fever

Well my plan to post more on the forum hasn't panned out but only because the fishing has been so good. The flows have been great and the fish have been aggressive on both streamers and poppers, but let's face it if you're catching them on poppers why throw a streamer. Even though we've not seen much rain over the last couple of months, except for the occasional afternoon shower this season has been fantastic. I'll take low water over high water any day of the week
[IMG][/IMG]

Byron and Rufus got to get away from work for the day and fish for a change. Those guys are a hoot to fish with.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

In between trips we've had a few days on the water ourselves to get in on the action. You can't go wrong with a yella fella or pearly white boogle bug this time of year. If it does get slow a crawdad pattern fished along the bottom can't hurt. Little River Outfitters sells both colors in their warm water section right near the fly bins. There's still plenty of time to get out and fish so don't miss it.

http://frontieranglerstn.com
https://www.facebook.com/frontierang...ation=timeline
Old 07-20-2014, 09:07 PM

That the holston? Good job!
Old 07-20-2014, 09:14 PM

Sandman,
Holston and French Broad
Old 07-21-2014, 12:16 PM

Josh, Josh C. told me he wants to spend more time on warmwater fishing now. I completely understand! All beautiful smallies there.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:16 PM

Gary,
I think Josh is hooked. You've caught some beauties here lately too.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:46 PM

I've stewed on this since last night, and need to voice my concerns so I can move on. I mean no offense, just feel I need to clear the air.

Back in the early 90's when a handful of us left the familiarity of the trout rivers we went looking for peace and solitude on the rivers and streams that were thriving with Smallmouth. What we found blew our minds, and for the last 20 years we've enjoyed a welcome relief from the guides, goons, yahoos, and misery of the crowds on our trout waters.

We didn't post pictures, we didn't speak about the rivers, and we never broke our circle to let others in.

I guess 20 years was a good run all things considered, but with Smallmouth becoming the new cool thing to chase with a fly some of our old haunts are now being publicized at the expense of making $$$. River smallmouth are a fragile resource simply because of the length of time it takes for them to put on any significant inches, and exploiting them has it's potential risks.

It saddens me that rivers where we could go a whole summer without seeing another person, have become advertised and popularized.

Again, I mean no offense to you (Josh) or any of the other newbies to this world, I just needed to let my feelings be known. And Gary, know none of this is directed towards you, as you've been chasing these brown critters as long as anyone I know

Last edited by waterwolf; 07-22-2014 at 08:02 PM..
Old 07-23-2014, 10:36 AM

I can remember the presentation made 12 years ago at a TU meeting that focused on smallmouth fishing. Slides of the French Broad river ,flies were shown, etc. .....trying to stimulate business ??
Not necessary to call anyone out.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:53 AM

**** if you want to talk smallmouth I'll contribute

Last edited by waterwolf; 07-23-2014 at 12:16 PM..
Old 07-23-2014, 05:37 PM

I take no offense to any of this but am in no way a "newbie" with smallmouth fly fishing (just posting on the forum) and have enjoyed it since I was 15. I just feel that it's a shame not to share these awesome fisheries with others that are looking to get into the sport which is what this forum is all about in the first place.

As for the folks on this forum looking to get into smallmouth fishing, that means a few more responsible fishermen with watchful eyes out there keeping the poachers from taking too many slot limit fish (which can be different on several rivers). It's no surprise that we have excellent smallmouth fishing in East TN along with Western NC and anyone who enjoys smallmouth already knows all about it and has for a while.

Seeing little traffic on most rivers in the summer is still common and the ones that have mild to heavy traffic still fish great, which says a lot about our fisheries and the efforts from TWRA/TVA. Bad spawns (which can't be avoided), chemicals and big tournaments with "weigh ins" are what hurt fisheries. I guess I don't see the difference in someone guiding for trout and publicizing it in books and magazines.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Pfeiffer View Post
I take no offense to any of this but am in no way a "newbie" with smallmouth fly fishing (just posting on the forum) and have enjoyed it since I was 15. I just feel that it's a shame not to share these awesome fisheries with others that are looking to get into the sport which is what this forum is all about in the first place.

As for the folks on this forum looking to get into smallmouth fishing, that means a few more responsible fishermen with watchful eyes out there keeping the poachers from taking too many slot limit fish (which can be different on several rivers). It's no surprise that we have excellent smallmouth fishing in East TN along with Western NC and anyone who enjoys smallmouth already knows all about it and has for a while.

Seeing little traffic on most rivers in the summer is still common and the ones that have mild to heavy traffic still fish great, which says a lot about our fisheries and the efforts from TWRA/TVA. Bad spawns (which can't be avoided), chemicals and big tournaments with "weigh ins" are what hurt fisheries. I guess I don't see the difference in someone guiding for trout and publicizing it in books and magazines.
You're right to a degree, the biggest threat to the Holston and French Broad are the tournaments. IMO they must be stopped ASAP, but that's just me.

We will just have to agree to disagree on telling the world all about the various Smallmouth rivers in this state.

Enjoy the rest of the Summer.