Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 07-24-2014, 06:58 AM

Jim,
I completely disagree with your post on this topic. However; I can understand your personal frustration in cherishing solitude in a sport you love.

We have to remember that the world is for everyone and that sharing is one of the greatest gifts anyone can give. Isolationism in a sport is cancerous and will lead to its demise. Positive stewards and excellent ambassadors are what we need to grow the sport and protect its natural resources.

I think it is great when others share their photos and reports. It helps me learn and share in their joy! It grows my interest and support. Sure it can increase boat traffic of others who share similar interests. It will also support and protect the sport by having passionate and caring people involved such as yourself!
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Last edited by MadisonBoats; 07-24-2014 at 09:58 AM..
Old 07-24-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
Jim,
I completely disagree with your post on this topic. However; I can understand your personal frustration in cherishing solitude in a sport you love.

We have to remember that the world is for everyone and that sharing is one of the greatest gifts anyone can give. Isolationism in a sport is cancerous and will lead to its demise. Positive stewards and excellent ambassadors are what we need to grow the sport and protect its natural resources.

I think it is great when others share their photos and reports. It helps me learn and share in their joy! It grows my interest and support. Sure it can increase boat traffic of others who share similar interest and support. It will also support and protect the sport by having passionate and caring people involved such as yourself!
I started and deleted multiple posts to this thread yesterday with a final decision to refrain. Madison, your post said everything I wanted to say in a much more articulate and less prickly manner than anything I had to say. Good job!
Old 07-24-2014, 11:37 AM

We just see the world differently. No reason to get mad (thunderhead) it's just two different perspectives.

I prefer to fish unmolested waters where I don't see another person all day. That makes me happy.

I've spoken my mind several posts ago, and have nothing further to offer to this discussion. Best of luck to all on the water....just stay the **** away from me
Old 07-24-2014, 02:35 PM

I'm not mad. I am happy,happy,happy! I know that there is more than enough water to go around for every species fished. Seriously, I just couldn't be happier. You have a best efforts promise to steer clear of you (unless there is a big smallie under your boat). ;-)
Old 07-24-2014, 09:10 PM

Shawn, as usual, your perspective leads a new way not most traveled. Thank You for sharing the midges at Healing Waters yesterday. Look forward to a trip very soon. We need to get David Knapp and Rocky on the hook!!

Josh, because of your post with pics and meeting you at the Healing Waters event yesterday, i am excited to take my fly fishing to another level not yet attempted. I'm excited about the smallmouth trip that we have planned next week.

Thank you for your generosity and it was a true pleasure meeting you yesterday!!

See you both soon.

Breck

Last edited by Breck; 07-24-2014 at 10:04 PM..
Old 07-25-2014, 06:31 AM

Breck,
It was great meeting you too and we'll have a good time next week. I don't know how next level it will be after talking strategy with you and seeing your fly boxes but I'll give you what I got.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:33 PM

Back in high school, I was really into music. All my free time was devoted to playing in a band and listening to new bands. I remember getting so mad when a band that I had listened to for years would become popular and everyone seemed to love them. I had "discovered" that band and now all of the sudden they are famous and I felt like I should be owed something for people I know listening to them.
Seems like the same thing here…I know the feeling on a different scale. You feel like you discovered the river. I get it. But the good thing is with more people discovering the river, it can bring in more money to the area, more people into the sport of fly fishing, more money in Josh's pocket (and others) so he can care for his family. It sucks not having the same isolation as before, but embrace it. The boat floating in your spot may have a kid catching his first fish on the fly. Be happy that you can share the river with other people.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Back in high school, I was really into music. All my free time was devoted to playing in a band and listening to new bands. I remember getting so mad when a band that I had listened to for years would become popular and everyone seemed to love them. I had "discovered" that band and now all of the sudden they are famous and I felt like I should be owed something for people I know listening to them.
Seems like the same thing here…I know the feeling on a different scale. You feel like you discovered the river. I get it. But the good thing is with more people discovering the river, it can bring in more money to the area, more people into the sport of fly fishing, more money in Josh's pocket (and others) so he can care for his family. It sucks not having the same isolation as before, but embrace it. The boat floating in your spot may have a kid catching his first fish on the fly. Be happy that you can share the river with other people.
Haha, pretty good analogy.

I certainly didn't discover the rivers, but I'd say myself and one of the guys I fish with all the time most certainly unlocked one of the things I hear everyone talking about. In reality, I had been fishing them for years before he stumbled onto something I was overlooking. In addition, there was a time and not that long ago (<5 years) when 99.9% of the fly fishing community scoffed at Smallmouth, Carp, and a host of warmwater fish in this state. That alone caused myself and the guys I fish with to become spoiled as we fished in solitude while everyone else fought the crowds chasing slimy trout. It's an adjustment for me in particular, to become used to others enjoying what we also enjoy.

Again, we just see things differently. I would be fine if myself and the group I run with were the only fly fishers in East TN, I'd say I'm not alone in that opinion truth be told.

This is nothing personal towards Josh or anyone else, so please don't take it that way. Every time I've crossed paths with Josh on the river he's been overly courteous and always friendly. It's more a musing about how things have changed in the last couple of years. If I run into Josh, you, or anyone on the river as usual I'll be nice and respectful, so this isn't some grudge match or hate filled view I possess on this topic.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:59 AM

Smile

Not to put words into anyone's mouth, but much has changed with all outdoor activities, not just fly fishing. My first fly fishing was at age 4 in Maggie Valley with a setup my dad bought me from Western Auto (youngsters find that, lol). I've now been fly fishing for more than 45 years and have seen the overall fishing climate go from one of fishing in solitude to one of aggressive competition for space in some occurrences. I hate to say it this way, but at one time, there seemed to be more decorum and etiquette on the streams, and yes, on the lakes. I find it nothing uncommon for someone to enter the streams right next to me and start fishing. While the streams aren't solely mine, it shows a lack of respect when this behavior is exhibited. I'm all for more people coming into the sport and in no way want to be perceived as being arrogant because we all need to support the rights that we have to enjoy. I guess I would say, let's respect each others opinions and most of all, protect the resources we do have.

I guess I am getting to the age of having those "get off my lawn" moments with regards to the trout streams though.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:31 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytroutman View Post
hat we have to enjoy. I guess I would say, let's respect each others opinions and most of all, protect the resources we do have.

I guess I am getting to the age of having those "get off my lawn" moments with regards to the trout streams though.
I suspect I'm older.........