Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 07-27-2014, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytroutman View Post
Not to put words into anyone's mouth, but much has changed with all outdoor activities, not just fly fishing. My first fly fishing was at age 4 in Maggie Valley with a setup my dad bought me from Western Auto (youngsters find that, lol). I've now been fly fishing for more than 45 years and have seen the overall fishing climate go from one of fishing in solitude to one of aggressive competition for space in some occurrences. I hate to say it this way, but at one time, there seemed to be more decorum and etiquette on the streams, and yes, on the lakes. I find it nothing uncommon for someone to enter the streams right next to me and start fishing. While the streams aren't solely mine, it shows a lack of respect when this behavior is exhibited. I'm all for more people coming into the sport and in no way want to be perceived as being arrogant because we all need to support the rights that we have to enjoy. I guess I would say, let's respect each others opinions and most of all, protect the resources we do have.

I guess I am getting to the age of having those "get off my lawn" moments with regards to the trout streams though.
I had gotten this way with the trout rivers when I was on them, but over the last 4-5 years I've gotten to the point I just don't care. I'm overly friendly nowadays on the trout water, where I used to be cold natured and rarely spoke to anyone other than the guys I was with. I just didn't want to engage in any kind of discussion or answer any questions.

I think that came from my years guiding, but I've moved past that mentality. I also am arrogant enough to believe I will catch as many fish in front of or behind anyone on a trout stream. Somedays that is true, and if it doesn't work out than oh well.

My biggest downfall other than my secrecy about where I fish, is that I generally view every other fisherman/hunter as a complete idiot. This no doubt comes from working retail in this industry for over a decade and guiding for about the same amount of time. I was exposed to so many people that were clueless that my perception is skewed.

I'm alright sharing the trout streams, but am not to the point where I can tolerate others on the smallmouth rivers I fish, and keep everything secret other than with the folks I run with. Even worse, when asked I would lie to my own mother as to where I am fishing on any given day.

I'm sure I will grow out of this phase as well, but for now that's where I am stuck/
Old 07-29-2014, 10:24 AM

Sometimes being a curmudgeon is not all it is cracked up to be!
Old 08-05-2014, 07:24 AM

ONEEYE-welcome to the board. Your "Curmudgeon " comment fascinates me. im just wondering if this offered "wisdom" is from a reformed curmudgeon, a continuing curmudgeon who cannot escape the condition, or from a non-curmudgeon who has observed curmudgeons but does not want to be one for some reason?
Old 08-05-2014, 08:44 PM

I'm a recovered curmudgeon. Life saving surgery changes your outlook on what is important and what is not.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:32 PM

Default curmedgeon or whatever

Sure you are a nice guy. But I have been fishing wnc and smokeys over 40 years and I am pretty sure there is no way a 4 year old could negotiate these streams and in the process fly fish or otherwise fish in any manner. Maybe you have an ability I haven't witnessed before. God bless and tight lines.