Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-25-2014, 09:05 AM

Talking First time out in a LONG time

Wednesday I finally got to get out and do some fly fishing with Freddie.

After 6 weeks or 2-3 days per week in the park earlier this season, life got busy, and my fly fishing took the brunt of it

After stopping by Park Headquarters to drop off the park radio I forgot that I had packed away in my drybag last Saturday while taking water samples in the rain. Matt was more than understanding and Freddie even got a chance to meet him. Freddie asked about when the "Powers that Be" were going to open Lynn Camp, to which Matt responded that "that" would be him, and he explained how he was going to recommend that it should be open soon since it is hitting density in most places (except down REALLY low), but he had to take it to the higher up, who would have to approve and change the park compendium, to change the law and make it legal once again to fish which might take some time.

Since the rain had followed us all the way to the park down 66, we hurried to try and get a little fishing in before the skies opened up.

Glad to be back on the stream

I had this guy after a couple minutes fishing

While a few fish were taking the dry, most were hitting the dropper

Does anyone know if this is Emarald Ash Borer damage? That's what it looks like to me, but I'm a complete amateur and would love a second opinion.

Fishing was decent. It amazing how much of my skill is directly proportional to how much I fish. After a month, I was missing all sorts of stuff Still managed a few

Freddie was catching as well. While I can almost keep up with him when I'm having a Good day, it was obvious today why he was my first Smokies Mentor as he landed much more fish than me.

It started to sprinkle a few times but never turned into real rain. I found this dead part of a salamander lying on a rock that caught my attention. Probably could have made some good bait fishing, but I just took a pic and moved on

Old 07-25-2014, 09:10 AM

Talking

While too many people always try to catch the Biggest fish, I am happy with trying to catch the small ones and have a great specimen to help Big Sur fall even further from Grace.

Fish of the Day

The fishing had slowed a bit and I was just about to suggest to Freddie that we bail as we had pushed our luck successfully, when Freddie found a boot print which made it an easy decision.

Glad to finally be back out in the Smokies
Old 07-25-2014, 10:01 AM

Looks ike it was well worth the wait. I'm all set for trip into the area, can't wait to get onto the water again.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:18 AM

[QUOTE=duckypaddler;111977]While too many people always try to catch the Biggest fish, I am happy with trying to catch the small ones and have a great specimen to help Big Sur fall even further from Grace.

Fish of the Day

Just saw your post, I think I still hold the record for the smallest park fish of the summers so far (see below). Now we can debate species catagory size as mine is a war paint shiner. However, I do object to your level of competition, please refrain from biting off the end of the tail of that poor fish just to gain the first place position!

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"
Old 07-25-2014, 10:39 AM

Smile

Correct target species has to be the winner over the shiner in my humble opinion. I promise I didn't bite the tail off (not that I'm beyond doing that to win).
Old 07-25-2014, 08:49 PM

Ducky,

Lets fish or get the kayaks and kids out on the Hiwassee again. Wednesday or Sunday. Call. Lets go!!!!

Breck
Old 07-26-2014, 03:56 PM

Great post and nice fish, good to see you posting again. I know what you mean about being away, after a year I felt like an idiot, hooked more tree limbs than fish.
Tad
Old 07-28-2014, 10:25 AM

Nice post, Ducky!
I noticed in one pic that the two-tone weenie had a bead on it. Was this brass or tungsten? Do you think fish were getting wise to solid color weenies or was it just an experiment?
Thanks,
Jed
Old 07-28-2014, 11:04 AM

i am intrigued by your question about the emerald ash borer beetle. We are loosing a number of ash trees in the neighborhood. This morning I carefully inspected some of the dying trees. None of them had similar lesions as the tree in your photo. Additionally, although I am not a forester nor arborist, the bark on the tree in your photo doesn't look like the trees I observed this morning.
Keep your messages coming. They help me and others to vicariously enjoy one of our favorite places.
Thanks,
pedipop1
Old 07-28-2014, 12:03 PM

Not an expert by any means but I don't think that that is from ash borer. From what I know they go in one hole and then worm/bore there way under the bark to feed. If you pull the bark off it will look like a twisted tangled up maze left behind. The picture in your post, if the tree were standing appears to be several holes that would be symetrical around the tree, almost a perfect ring. I get that on my trees, thanks to to downy's and other woodpeckers.