Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-28-2014, 10:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite
Default firewood...

I camped at elkmont a month ago. Brought some wood I cut from sevier county. Got an earful from one of the two ladies at the elkmont check in desk. I was informed regardless of where you are in the park you are not in ANY county. And all bordering counties are considered quarentined counties. I then asked " well where can I bring wood from"? Mean ladies reply " nowhere. You have to buy it here". So I quickly burned what I brought and went to buy some "good" wood. Talking to the guy who sells the wood I find out its a private bussiness, he is a contracted inside the park. His wood ALSO comes from sevier county( mine did as well). He said all his wood is inspected....well the next day his shipment if wood came in on a rusty pickup truck. Drove through the stop sign. Was never checked...do they check it on his property? How often? To what extent? What a freaking joke. My wood came from the same region and same forest practically as the national park itself. If you want more of my money, charge more for my camp site, don't make me buy "inspected" wood.

Oh and next year it will most likely have to be kiln dried making park wood go from 3.50 a bundle to over 7$ a bundle. (The wood guys price quotes. I did not make those up). Oh and you get about 7 shards of wood per bundle....

To me this seems dumb. Trying to fix the bug problem we have now by banning wood is like a pregnant woman starting birth control. It won't work.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:26 PM

The whole thing is a mess for sure. The wood you get at the campground is expensive and is poor quality (not well seasoned) and generally pine. Talk about getting residue all over anything you are trying to cook. The private contractor being given a monopoly is always annoying as well for sure. I rarely even mess with a fire there for this reason.
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 07-29-2014, 07:54 AM

They're making you pay for the mistake they made by introducing the invasive species that is destroying the forest
Old 07-29-2014, 08:15 AM

Its amazing the businesses that parks & forests give to private contractors when most of these businesses could be self sustaining if ran by the park themselves.

I always bring my own wood & deal with the wrath. Problem is, everyone else in the campground has purchased wet, unseasoned wood, which makes the entire campground seem like a giant leaf fire.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2weightfavorite View Post
I camped at elkmont a month ago. Brought some wood I cut from sevier county. Got an earful from one of the two ladies at the elkmont check in desk. I was informed regardless of where you are in the park you are not in ANY county. And all bordering counties are considered quarentined counties. I then asked " well where can I bring wood from"? Mean ladies reply " nowhere. You have to buy it here". So I quickly burned what I brought and went to buy some "good" wood. Talking to the guy who sells the wood I find out its a private bussiness, he is a contracted inside the park. His wood ALSO comes from sevier county( mine did as well). He said all his wood is inspected....well the next day his shipment if wood came in on a rusty pickup truck. Drove through the stop sign. Was never checked...do they check it on his property? How often? To what extent? What a freaking joke. My wood came from the same region and same forest practically as the national park itself. If you want more of my money, charge more for my camp site, don't make me buy "inspected" wood.

Oh and next year it will most likely have to be kiln dried making park wood go from 3.50 a bundle to over 7$ a bundle. (The wood guys price quotes. I did not make those up). Oh and you get about 7 shards of wood per bundle....

To me this seems dumb. Trying to fix the bug problem we have now by banning wood is like a pregnant woman starting birth control. It won't work.
We were told at Elkmont and Cades Cove that we could buy firewood that was kiln dried at any of the Krogers, Food City, etc. on the way into the park. That firewood is much better quality and cheaper than the junk sold in the park, so that is what we do.

That being said, every camping trip we take I see somebody roll up with a truck bed loaded with huge logs in the back, and have never seen a ranger say anything to anybody.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 07-30-2014, 10:03 PM

me thinks I would trot my own firewood in and tell the Park folk where they can "stick" it.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:03 AM

My son and I hit Elkmont on Monday and had the same annoying issue. I usually buy at the Kroger's in Sevierville b/c they have the "properly" labeled wood to use in the park (not cheap). We went in through Townsend this time and I just figured I would hit a local store and buy some wood on the way in. There is plenty of firewood to be purchased in Townsend, but when I asked the people selling it if I could use the wood in the park, they all said 'no'. They said the "park people" come by and tell them to quit selling it because it is misleading, but they cant make someone stop selling wood. They also tell the business owners they should warn the customers that they cannot use it in the park, to which they just told me they will tell a customer that asks, but they will not post it or proactively tell everyone.

Since we couldn't find it anywhere else we ended up spending $30 on wood for one night. And...it doesn't catch worth a darn so we worked hard to get it going.

We could have brought any kind of wood in and no one would have known. They have never checked me before. I just wouldn't want to be caught with a pile of wood that wasn't 'ok' by park standards.

Seems like there has to be a better way than offering what appears to be a monopoly to someone.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite

Knowing how things work, I'd say the wood seller has some connection, be it family or friend,to have obtained his ability to be the only seller... he is making a fortune at our expense. I wouldn't even care, or not ad much, if the wood was dry and burnable...
Old 07-31-2014, 08:36 PM

I accumulate 2X4 scraps during the year and carry those in to Elkmont for firewood. I just fill a plastic bin or 2. Easy and legal. If you don't do work with wood yourself, visit a building site and ask for scraps. They usually burn them on site. It's pine, so it doesn't last as long as oak, but it's easy.

BTW, I learned years ago that the best way to start a campfire is with a propane bottle and torch. Just get the small screw-on torch, and fire starting will be simple. No newspaper or kindling needed. Be sure to keep the propane bottle upright; it'll foul the mechanism if the torch is below or level with the bottle.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:33 PM

Take a lightweight bow saw with you. There are plenty of deadfall trees to cut and burn FREE!