Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 07-30-2014, 07:33 PM

Tiemco and Umpqua are the same just a different package.

I'm a Tiemco guy, but will use whatever I can find. First choice is TMC, but all the others have models that work just as well IMO
Old 07-31-2014, 12:28 AM

Daniel I think Dan Bailey distributes and may also be involved in the manufacturing process of Dai Riki. I have noticed some quality issues with them however. TMC is my first choice for most model hooks I use. Their jig hooks, European competition style, and larger heavier nymph hooks have caused me to start looking at some other alternatives. Just about all the top name brands like Mustad, Daiichi, and Gamakatsu all make very good hooks. Mustad has made some improvements the last few years. Daiichi makes some models that TMC doesn't and they have held their prices down a little better than TMC. They are in my opinion a close second for trout style hooks. Gamakatsu makes some great hooks that I use for my warm water and salt water ties. Their trout selection is very limited though. I don't think you could go wrong with any of them quality wise. I have just recently tried some Allen hooks. Some models I liked and some I didn't. The jig hooks and large nymph hooks were the main ones I was trying. Mainly because I fish them frequently and always weight them or put beads on them, so I expect to loose more of them. They may end up filling the void for inexpensive specially hooks at half the price of TMC.

Last edited by flyman; 07-31-2014 at 12:39 AM.. Reason: 42
Old 07-31-2014, 08:49 AM

I'm mostly using Daiichi these days. Haven't had any issues.

steve
Old 10-08-2014, 05:55 PM

Mustad 3366 for me. I tie mostly warmwater/bass flies but use these for almost everything. Have them in 4, 8, 12 and force almost everything I tie on those 3 hooks.

Not for finesse dries, but $5 per hundred is hard to beat.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonefly View Post
I'm mostly using Daiichi these days. Haven't had any issues.

steve
My vote as well, still use a back log of Tiemco though. Dan Bailey does distribute DaiRikki.

Grumpy
Old 10-09-2014, 01:44 PM

TMC here also
Old 10-10-2014, 01:04 PM

I used the gamakatsu c15 bv barbless retainer bend and c15-bv vertic,al eye emerger also barbless for a trip to yellowstone this past summer and found them to work very well ,,easy hooksets just need to keep pressure so they don't release a bit expensive but I only tie for 2 weeks of trout fishing a year. They also have a large gap that makes tying smaller sizes much easier