Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-11-2006, 01:05 PM

Default Re: Winter Fly Patterns

Hey Preacher,

You might be missing out on our Catfish and BBQ, but you sure have it good living that close to some awesome trout fishing. I would be happy to trade with you sometimes....today being one of them. It's real hard keeping your mind on work when you enjoy being outside as much as I do. Especially trout fishing!! I have to admit though....I do enjoy the good food we have down here. It is rather convenient to have it around. Good luck fishing and God Bless you!

bamaflyguy
Old 01-11-2006, 07:52 PM

I have done alot of fishing in the smokies in the winter, and no matter what the temp. or weather the fish will hit. The thing is that you have to find what they like, as I read from another post that they stay on the bottom, and that is so true. When I go in the winter it's takes no thought I'm putting a nymph on with something shinny; like a bead or wire. My Favorite is a Haire's ear nymph, and I also will use a Brassie.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:41 AM

Yes, for me, in the winter, I start with a BH tellico here in East Tenn., and I also agree with the "shiney" or flash, I prefer gold or brass over copper, just a preference, although I tie a olive wooly bugger with a copper wire that is one of my favorites.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:02 AM

Hey you Alabama guys, I am from Cherokee County half way between Gadsden
and Rome Ga. Cedar Bluff Alabama. My cuz and I fish the mountains 6 or 7
times a year. Give us a yell when you are heading up there. We usually camp at
Elkmont. More centrally located.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:09 PM

Wow...seems like Alabama has some really avid trout fans!! Hopefully us Huntsvillians will also get to know some of you guys who live closer to home. We try to take as many trips as we can to the smokies every year. We plan to go even more this year. It is never near enough though.....Good luck!
Old 01-12-2006, 05:33 PM

I will fish a nymph and get it on the bottom as fast as possible in the winter.

A lot of times I will put a lead split shot about a foot above my nymph or I will fish a double rig and fish a large stone fly or weighted nymph with a small nymph trailing behind it. That way it gets down on the bottom faster.

Petey 8-)
Old 01-14-2006, 11:41 AM

Regarding the poll, I use a soft hackle which is neither a nymph or a streamer. As pointed out in earlier posts I make certain the soft hackle is deep by adding split shot.

Don
Old 01-23-2006, 05:42 PM

I assume you are the same guy who is on the other boars as bamafly? Anyway this is Hans and I still would like to fish with you on Abrams. I usually begin up there the last week of February. Let me know when you are in the area?
Old 01-24-2006, 11:47 AM

My first trip to Gatlinburg landed me ZERO fish!! The next trip I got a guide who showed me how to fish that area. I was actually doing a LOT of things wrong. He showed the importance of being quiet and taking my time to locate the fish before I ever made a cast. I think I made a single cast after about 5-10minutes of close watching.

Getting a guide is worth EVERY penny!! I learned about using a dry fly with a dropper and the proper technique to score fish. Now that my casting has improved I want to learn some more advanced techniques. It was amazing all the little things I picked up from my guide. I would not stop at just getting a guide once either. Because different conditions require different presentations. The day I went the sun came out and he showed me the perfect approach for those conditions. Now I want to learn the best ways to nymph fish. I am even thinking about getting guides when I go bass fishing on new lakes. Getting a guide is not cheap by all means but the knowledge you take home for future outings is invaluable.