Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 02-12-2006, 11:11 AM
J.Hightower

Default Hackle

When tying rusty parachute or parachute adams ... do you use the same hook and hackle size? say #14 hook and a #14 hackle...or should this be modified according to your own preference?
Old 02-12-2006, 02:58 PM

Default Re: Hackle

I've always heard that you go up a hackle size on parachutes. Size 14 fly, size 12 hackle.

I like oversizing the hackle on mine anyway.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:12 PM

I'll second the over size one. You can get away with a lower grade hackle on parachutes as well. I like the Keough necks for parachutes...they're cheaper than The Metz and Whiting but have really flexible stems which is a plus when tying parachutes.

AA
2Timothy2:15
Old 02-14-2006, 09:55 AM

I know this is repetitive, but definitely oversize your hackle on parachutes. The first set of parachute Adams that I ever tied all flipped on their sides because I tied with too small hackle. Also, I would definitely recommend something like turkey T-base feather tips or poly yarn for your wing post. Calf hair seems to be a little heavy and tends to cause the parachute to land upside down (at least for me). This can be very frustrating when you get in the backcountry and realize your fresh set of parachute Adams all ride upside down or roll on their sides.

hawgdaddy
Old 02-14-2006, 04:32 PM

Upsizing does do the trick, though if I'm tying a real skinny profile body - sorta catskill in nature, a regular sized seems to do fine...though the bulk of my mtn flies are bigger bodied and the size over hackle helps keep them stabilized.
On midges for tailwaters I stick to the same size hook/hackle - again because of the slender profile they present.
Something else to consider - do away with hackle and go "Spundun style" which uses elk or deer hair, creates a terrific wing/legs profile that is easy to see and floats like a cork andis ultimatel cheaper than any hackle...no assortment of sizes of feathers and really no parachute material to use - , just a couple shades of hide...
you can get an #18 tied with a little practice finessee , but standard fare is size #14 and up - perfect for the Smokies...and easy to tie.

Waterborn