Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 01-15-2006, 08:55 AM

Default Clinch Access

What the latest on accessing the Clinch near the Highway 61 bridge in Clinton? Where can you park and whre can you get into the river? Thanks.

--Rich
Old 01-16-2006, 12:01 PM

Default Re: Clinch Access

According to the sheriffs deputies, you can park on the north end of the police station in the gravel lot closest to the barb-wire fence. You need to access the river by crossing the barbed wire fence and going upstream at least 50 yds before entering the river so as not to set off their (escape) sensors. Of course this puts you on the private propery, so be extra respecful during ingress and egress. I am not sure if the new church owns that portion of the land, or if they are leasing from he owners of the hay field. All this I'm telling you may have since changed, so don't hesitate to go to the front desk at the Sheriffs department and ask them in person. I haven't been down there in over a month, so it wouldn't hurt to check.

AA
2Timothy2:15
Old 01-21-2006, 12:59 AM

The new owner above the jail is 2nd Baptist Church initially they where going to allow access, since they started building until a month ago there was new No Trespassing signs up. I do know at one point their insurance company was saying they could not due to liability issues. I will say with some of the drinking, dope smoking and other activities I have seen go on in the filed prior to construction continues if the church does allow access, it will quickly be rescinded.

A friend of mine is a deacon in 2nd Baptist but I have not seen him for a while and as his wife has terminal cancer I am not calling. Best to go in right behind the jail. When I find out other wise I will post.

Only one landowner on the west bank allows people on his property, the others do not. If caught you are on your own.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:23 AM

I have been on the Clinch twice this month, I think I will start calling it the Grinch. Not much to show for some very mild weather days.

The gravel lot at the jail looks like it has a new steel "portable" building... so there is no place to park. My question... can you park on the other side of the bridge where the boat ramp is, walk up the bank under the bridge, and then enter the water? (opposite from the jail)

Old 01-24-2006, 01:05 PM

Quote:
My question... can you park on the other side of the bridge where the boat ramp is, walk up the bank under the bridge, and then enter the water? (opposite from the jail)
Burnzy, I believe that under the bridge is too deep to wade. Also I do not think that there is a trail past the bridge.
Stretch
Old 01-25-2006, 11:42 AM

Landowners on the parking lot side (east) do not allow access period. Some can get downright hostile.

The jail and ambulance service is discouraging parking. However, you can park near the soccer field and walk up. Keep in mind only one landowner on the west side allows fisherman access and you have to cross private property to get there.

Something else to keep in mind is the majority of the land owners own the land you are on to the middle of the river. That has been verified through the county, TVA, TWRA as well as other sources. Most do not mind people in the river unless you complain about their bait fishing and keeping fish. Respect them show tolerance and you might make a friend who lets you have access thought their property. Let them offer donít ask or hint.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:08 PM

Can you walk up along the tracks and access Dandridge Bend withiut PO'ing the locals?

Old 03-05-2006, 12:23 AM

The last I heard it is owned by an expensive fishing club.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:41 PM

So let me see if I have this right.

If you can find a place to park, you can walk into the river near the jail. But if you go any significant distance upstream, you'll be on private property even if you're in the river because TN riparian law says landowners on one side actualy own out to midstream. So, the only river not actually in contention, unless you want to play the "gee-can-I-fish-here-buddy-how-bout-them-Vols" game is the 100 yards or so by the Jail?
Old 03-13-2006, 01:08 AM

Most deeds on the Clinch go to the middle of the river. This was verified a few years ago with TVA and the Court House as well as legal counsel.

It is considered a non-navigable river above the 61 bridge, TVA wants it declared navigable for water quality issues..

Similar laws apply to smaller streams.

Most landowners doe not mind people wading in the river unless they are jerks. Then you are on your own.