Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 03-14-2006, 08:41 PM

Default Re: Clinch Access

Look, let's stop beating around the bush. At what points can you walk up and enter the River on the left side as you as facing upstream, from the Jail up to Dandridge Bend, without getting in trouble with the landowners?
Old 03-15-2006, 08:29 AM

Parking on the left side of the jail (as your facing it) near the dumpster is still not a crime, while the errected a structure where the impound lot was and there are some other cars along that grass strip there, I've parked there still with no incident. They are cops - they let you know if they don't want you there, but I've not had any issues 'cept the incarcerated tapping on thier little glass windows as I was getting suited up. If it is too crowded or you rather walk farther - park in the lot or soccer area.
Tucked back there past the dumpster to you left (do not go right or behind the actual jail - then they'll get ya) follow the tree line and find the magic door that leads to the water (you do hafta kinda beat around the bush )....you could walk upstream from there and find some great water that will keep you busy all day with out having to move up stream a whole lot.
People used to walk around that fence where you enter the tree line and walk further on the church land - last time I was there I talked to some church members who had no quams with me being there and knew of no reason they would ban access...if you stay tight to the right side treeline/streamside...
Personally, on land, that is as far as I walk - from there I'm in the water and fishing - there is enough water before that bend to keep one busy...
I'm not advocating tresspassing by any means - I've been fishing that spot for many years and have yet to have a conflict...I think that Running Wolf has it right when he stated "Respect them..."
As far as the boat ramp area - you can walk up stream, but it'll take a nice hike...I used to do it before I found about the jail access - you have to walk on the shore under the bridge then cross to mid stream and follow the wadable water up. Takes some time, but there are some nice holes along the way that hold fish.

Waterborn
Old 03-15-2006, 01:08 PM

In the early 1990's I fished in Wisconsin. *Wisconsin owns easements for fishing access along the banks of the spring creeks in the Dodgeville area. *It would take a major legislative effort to do something similar in Tennessee, but perhaps some of the people on this board would be willing to do it. *
Old 03-15-2006, 07:56 PM

In addition to a legislative change, such a program would take some serious money to buy the easements from the landowners, and that ain't happening any time soon in a tax-poor state like Tennessee, though it might be a better use of the trout license money than stocking streams with little restrictions on harvest.

New York State has a long history of buying easements ("public fishing rights"), dating back to the 40s, I think. As a result of their foresight, streams like the entire the entire lower Beaverkill are open to public fishing.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:11 PM

It might not be as expensive as one might think. We are talking about just a few rivers, and they don't contain trout for their entire length. The ones of which I am aware are:

Clinch
South Holston
Watauga
Elk
Fort Patrick Henry

Are there any other tailraces which are stocked with trout?
Old 03-17-2006, 01:09 AM

http://www.state.tn.us/twra/fish/Str...tailtrout.html
Old 03-17-2006, 10:02 AM

I did a bit of legal research yesterday. *Tennessee has a statute called the "Conservation Easement Act of 1981." *If you want to read it, it's Tenn. Code Ann. 66-9-301 - 309. *I'll call it "the Act" in this post.

Section 66-9-305 of the Act forbids the acquisition of conservation easements by eminent domain. *That means that our only options are: (1) purchasing conservation easements for access to the Clinch (and other rivers) from landowners who are willing to grant them, and (2) finding landowners who are willing to donate easements.

I looked at a large-scale topo map of the Clinch between Norris Dam and Clinton. *One of the problems with access is that there are relatively few points where a road is near the river.

Does anyone know if anyone or an organization has identified desirable access points on the Clinch? *If we could identify points to provide adequate access to the river, we could then approach landowners about selling easements. *From there it's a matter of price and raising funds. *Once the easements are purchased, they could be donated to TWRA.

I define "a desirable access point" as being relatively close to the river and a public road, and which does not require a physically-demanding passage over land. *For example, it's no good having a parking spot which is more than one mile from the river, and most of that mile is near-vertical.

Grants may be available to purchase easements. Does anyone on this board have knowledge of potential sources of grants, and/or expertise in grant-writing? Of course, we can always have fund-raising events.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:39 AM

More access on the CLinch would be nice, but I really don't see landowners selling off easments to allow additional access.

A lot of the landowners are very nice about access and will grant access if approached in a polite way. However, over the years, many of the landowners have been burned.

It doesn't take long for a nice piece of land to get ruined when people who access it do not treat it like a privledge. Littering is a big problem and some folks do not understand the pack it out philosphy. Why should a landowner open up there land to people if it means their land or property is going to get trashed. Now I'm not saying everybody does this but the old addage of "One Bad Apple" does have a lot of meaning.

Another thing that will get under their skin is the elitist attitude some people seem to have while fishing. Under current TWRA regulations, the Clinch is open to general trout regulations with the standard statewide creel limit of 7 fish. Imagine how infuriating it would be to be enjoying a day fishing from the bank with kids or grandkids....keeping a fish or two...and then having someone verbally attack you for what your doing.

Now like I said, by no means does this apply to the majority of the folks who fish or fly fish on the Clinch....or many other rivers for that matter....but it doesn't take too many jerks to ruin it for everybody.

Proper fishing manners and some of that good ol southern hospitality goes a long way in building partnerships and friendships. Good things will come when we start viewing all people as fishermen instead of "spin fishermenn" "Bait chunker" or "Fly Fishermen".

In the end, if people will repsect the landowners and their property, the landowners will respect the visitors much more, and everyone can enjoy our great rivers.

Old 03-17-2006, 11:02 AM

We'll never know unless we try. We might not get every landowner to sell an easement, but even one or two more access points would be welcome, don't you think?

Some of the problems you mentioned could be abated. For instance, the easement, which would be a path to the river, could be fenced. Trash cans could be placed at several points. Fences could also be built along the bank to keep people, except determined ones, confined close to the river.

I have seen this work in Wisconsin. I don't see why it wouldn't work here.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:13 PM

You arenít from around here are you?

Most people donít want strangers on or around them. The ones who grant access for the most part do so by at least knowing who you are.

Some recent incidents of people leaving human waste on private property owners picnic tables at the river, pushing port a johns they have installed for guest into the river and other actions have not added to any good will gained. Not to mention the destruction of cattle fencing that has occurred on at least two landowners properties. Neighbor A allows access to neighbor B and B does not like it you have potential for new problems.

Add into the fact meth is now being manufactured in hunting woods and along stream banks with the portable labs along with the high dollar cleanup of its waste and it throws more into the negative reaction mode.

Property values a few years ago at Hwy 61 was around 35-40k, what will they go to in the near future?

Another factor you do not know about is the land owners and users group that was *formed several years ago called something like LUCRO and they have a private act in their pocket which the consequences of you would not like if they gave it to the state legislature as they would essentially have no choice but to make it law.That is a sleeping dog best left lying.

The last I knew a few years ago the Clinch River Chapter of Trout Unlimited had a working relationship with the Land Owners association and had talked of access issues that may be a good place to start, I think their web address is www.crctu.com there should be some links there to get in contact with them.