Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 03-19-2006, 11:27 PM

Default The Church was who put up the new NT signs

Per their deacons their insurance company said no to allowing access, they where looking at changing insurances companies. The last I talked to them the insurance companies they talked to where saying no and as was their current company where wanting a fence built to cut off access to the river for liability issues. I have not seen the two I know as ones wife has cancer and the other has not been around the past year. The deacons of the church did hope that something could be worked out, as they have no problems with fishing and most fishermen. *When I find out more I will post it. There is a path to the river directly behind the jail (slightly upstream), up river is private property and most do not allow access and none allow it without permission. I hope this is plain enough.

The church at one time had wanted to build a fisherman’s parking lot at the upper end of their property. The last I talked to if they found an insurance company that allows access that provision is up in the air. It seems some drinking and pot parties have occurred on their property and the people where very loud while they where having some church related outdoor activities there. Peoples attitudes and lack of respect is going to hurt the chances as well.

The former landowner Mr. Underwood ignored tresspassing when you went by the OLD No Trespassing sign as long as you staid on the fisherman’s path next to the river

Talked to a former deputy who is running for sheriff the other day and I asked about the jail access, he told me current policy when he left to run 8 months ago was to publicly say they allow access, but to fill the parking with cars to limit as they really do not like it. Liquor, beer and other banned substances has been left in the dumpster for inmates who are allowed out for some exercise, as well as trustees who take the trash out. *
Old 03-20-2006, 01:35 PM

Default Re: Clinch Access

I fished the clinch on Friday and spoke tow Two GENTLEMAN who were cleaning up their church property. They engaged me in pleasent conversation and invited me to their services. THANKS. As a gesture of my gratitude I offered to put down my rod and help them cut brush, they decliened, but the gesture on both parts was real and meaningful. Legalities being what they are, let's put those away and be the gentlemen that fly fishers can be.
Thanks Clinch River Church for your kindness and invitation!

Best Regards and God Bless your building efforts,
Dave
Old 03-20-2006, 07:35 PM

The bottom line on the Clinch as well as most East Tennessee tailwaters is below the high water mark you are fine. Some deeds do go to the middle of the river, some do not. If you think you may be trespassing you probably are. Stay in the river and you will be OK. If high water pushes you out and you are forced to walk out do so with respect. Most landowners will understand if you are polite and don't make a habit of it. Or on the Clinch you can walk the railroad tracks which is how we all accessed the river before the jail. The fishing club in the bend no longer exists but to get there by water you will have to cross the river just before the bend. As was stated before if you are polite you will probably have no problems.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:37 PM

There is no high-water mark on the Clinch. This was confirmed with TVA's river mangement and legal staff. The high water marks begin below the Highway 61 Bridge.

Polite is a key. The people across the river on the right side below the old fishing club do not like people on them period. They target practice very loosely a lot on their property. People who use the old fishing club tore their fence down many times they are not happy with most fishermen. They do allow some individuals access.

Be polite to all you meet in the river whether or not you agree with their fishing methods, them keeping fish or not and no one will say a word to you. I have seen someone complain to a bait fisherman there get kicked out of that part of the river.

There a few deeds that do not say middle of the river but no many and most are in the mid river area where you have to float through to fish it anyway.

Good to see someone be polite to some church folks that is getting very rare. One place I have private access to allows his church to conduct baptism there. There was some people floated through and made fun of them once when I was there. Uncalled for and when something was said to them they cursed and carried on even louder.

To the person asking about easement. TWRA was looking for additional access a few years ago as well. I do not know what the current status of that is either.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:09 AM

Quote:
You aren’t from around here are you?
Well, Running Wolf, actually I am. I've lived in either the Tri-Cities or Knoxville areas all of my life, and I've been flyfishing for about 27 years now.

I know that obtaining access easements may not be easy or cheap, but it's worth at least a little bit of effort, isn't it? If we don't make any effort at all, we'll never know. To borrow from Donald Sutherland's character in "Kelly's Heroes," "How about some positive waves here?"
Old 03-22-2006, 10:27 PM

“How about some positive waves here”

Gave you some realistic ones from what I know.

The number of years you have fly fished mean nothing to me or the land owners. In fact if you tell them that you have lost your battle before you have begun. They associate fly fisherman for the most part with elitist snobs. However let me add they do understand science and backed the scientific studies on the river to determine how to manage it, several even put in volunteer hours.

Sorry if it don't float your boat, but I was raised with most of the landowners children and know most of them (landowners) and how they think and feel. Most of the people do not appreciate strangers on or near their land especially with all that has gone on recently, which I have already addressed.

I gave you two groups to contact. As a note do not try and use the GSM chapter of TU it will get essentially every door in the river slammed in your face.

Old 03-23-2006, 10:37 AM

I'm sure when eastprong asked about river access he was not asking about local politics . However any access question on the Clinch seems to be somewhat of a loaded question. I live near the Clinch and know many of the landowners both old and new and have found the vast majority to be polite, engaging people. It really bothers me to hear of instances of floaters being rude to land owners or other anglers regardless of the method of fishing they enjoy. There has been a lot of ill will on the river over the years and I always like to think it is getting better. Use some common sense, be polite, and build some good will for all of us. That's the best way to get new access.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:22 PM

No he was not asking, but if someone else was talking about more access * if he wants success he needs to be aware of what he is facing. Better to be forewarned. Two groups may be helpful to engage a partnership with if he wants to succeed, one not to engage for help, as there are still very bitter feelings towards them along the river and its users. (Along with a deep resentment by several of fly fisherman in general.) I am not going to waste the board space to explain it, if you are local you know there is a lot of truth to that and why. That was just advice, I would like to see some access in spots and if I was still active in the organization I was I would help.

Most of the landowners are nice if approached properly.

Unfortunately there are several jerks on the river both on foot and floating it (both types of fisherman-but most locals only see it from the fly fisherman), one instance from them ruins 100 positive impressions.

I understand about wishing it getting better, I have not seen it but stay the same of get slightly worse.

Old 03-23-2006, 10:42 PM

When I originally asked the question, I was only hoping to get some definitive answers about what restrictions there might be on access on the lower River. I started fishing that stretch in the late 80s when it was so "unknown" that I could take my golden retriever with me without fear of bothering other fishers, because there weren't any! As the sulphurs took hold and the word got out, that changed but I fished it heavily the 90s, and there was plenty to go around. With the demise of the sulphurs my interest has waned, to the extent that I never made it to the lower section last year. I had been hearing of access problems recently and I thought I would ask because even without the sulphurs there's a lot of fertility in the River.

Well, a definitive answer on access is apparently not forthcoming. What I take away from this is that in the short run, access will be governed by whether a particular landowner likes your looks or not (OK -- that's their right, but it does suck, because in the end, that's essentially elitism of an inverse variety -- you don’t have to be a rich liberal lawyer in full Orvis regalia to practice elitism, you know). In the long run there really isn't any hope because the landowners will eventually sell to developers, because they don't like the looks of us flyfishers and there's more money to be made in selling the whole enchilada rather than just access rights. Believe me, it's coming, especially with the lure of "riverfront property" for the retiring boomers from up North at prices they would deem to be a bargain.

So the Clinch access situation can be summed up as: "get it while you can." I'm gonna try.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:31 AM

Sorry you have problems understanding.

Behind the jail. Period.

If the Church gets insurance that allows it then you will there. If it don’t you will not. The right side nobody allows access period.

One person on the left side lets people with permission, his wife is for shutting that off, and as a result he has given no one else permission in three years.

Is that plain enough?

I have fished that part of the river since 1965 when Mr. Underwood owned the land and road my bike up to fish. Things change.

It has nothing to do with elitism, but snobs and slobs of all varieties of life ruin things for you. *Your attitude will open or close doors for you over your looks. These people judge you for primarily on how you act, nothing more nothing less.

There has been no sulphur hatch to speak of (the fish barely pay attention it is so sporadic and limited) the past 4-5 years on the lower river. The river got silted up and killed most of the bugs ~ 5 years ago on the lower end so bad it was like wading in mud. I was there last year when TVA’s biologist came out from doing their invertebrate survey, their conclusions they do not know if it will recover as there was that few of them.

I still hear of a decent sulphur hatch on the upper river, but it is not worth the crowds to me. I know how to midge fish.

The bigger problem is the town of Clinton condemning property they done have a piece 4 miles up river on the right side mapped out as a golf coarse.

Yankees buying up the property? Maybe with the next generation but I do not see many of this generation selling to those from the North.

Be glad it is not like Penn. where someone who owns both sides of the river does not even let you float it little alone wade it.

Team up with the person suggesting buying access and contact the two groups I suggested to him, that is your best bet.