Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Meet the New Members > New Members Board

Old 01-22-2006, 10:39 AM

Default Great Site

I'll be visiting in April and doing some fly fishing with a couple of friends, one of which just recently moved to the area. He's been bragging about the area and booked a guided trip for us. I'm looking forward to the trip.

I'm a newbie to fly fishing so any tips that can help me keep up with my buddies will be appreciated.

The info on this site is great!
Old 01-22-2006, 12:41 PM

Default Re: Great Site

Clean air,
Good to see you on the board, hope to talk with you soon, the weather here has been rainy and I am dying to get outside, april sould be a really good time of year for a fishing trip.
You might want to pick up a book on fly casting and reading stream water, ovris and ll beam are good choices, that way if you know who tries to teach you any bad casting habits there in fla. You can correct it

Talk With you Soon,
Riverrat
Old 01-22-2006, 10:28 PM

We both know that "you know who" will teach me one or two bad habits...but I'll pick up plenty of good tips also. Practice will be the key! Just need to find some daylight!

Lookin' forward to showin' you how it's done!
Old 01-23-2006, 10:08 AM

Clean Air, welcome to the board. You will enjoy fishing here, it is beautiful. Something that would help you here is to practice casting short distances from both sides. If you are right handed learn to cast 15 or 20 across your left side. Also, wear dark clothing when you go fishing here so the fish don't see you. Some people wear camo. Get a good understanding of drift and drag. If you get a good drift you will catch trout. Byron
Old 01-26-2006, 07:58 AM

Thanks for the tip Byron, as I get my rod set-up I'll start practicing. Dark clothing I can also manage.

Question - when I go to littleriveroutfitters.com I get a home page that just has a menu bar across the top and the same menu running vertically down the left side. Not pictures or links. My buddy gets lots of pictures and links on the home page. This came up as he was telling me to check out the sale gear in the shop - I can't seem to get there?

Thanks
Old 01-26-2006, 07:02 PM

See, this may be my problem. I would love to catch more trout, but maybe I don't understand the difference between "drift" and "drag". Maybe that is what is messing me up. Please explain the difference. Thanks.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:16 PM

Welcome to the board Clean Air, you'll enjoy fly fishing the Smokies.

Drift is your fly floating down river WITH the speed of the current. *A fly has drag or drags when it is being pulled up or downstream faster or slower than the current speed. *Drag looks unnatural and is usually caused by the fly line (or leader) catching a faster current and pulling the fly downstream at an unnatural speed. *This can be corrected by mending your line upstream after the cast. *Sometimes, during a good hatch when the fish are chasing flies well, you can drag or "skate" your dry fly upstream to imitate an adult flying across the surface. *Good Luck bamafisherlady, hope this helps.

Tight Lines