Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-06-2006, 09:41 AM

Default Hazel Creek Push Carts

Any folks here use a push cart to get up Hazel Creek and camp? I am looking to either buy one or build one and could use any ideas you all may have.

Chris

Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
- Henry David Thoreau
Old 02-06-2006, 10:03 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Hazel Creek Push Carts

Chris When Byron and I built ours, we used a metal game carrier and fitted it with bicycle tires...Heavy duty enough to carry in everything but the kitchen sink. Think we have an old picture somewhere of it loaded down for a week long trip - it was amazing - looked like a dustbowl caravan...

Hope this helps!

Paula
Old 02-06-2006, 10:55 AM

I have heard of some people using a game carrier from Cabela's. It sounds similar to what you were using. I will probably end up using that unless another idea comes along. Thanks Paula.

Regards,

Chris McCarthy

Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
- Henry David Thoreau
Old 02-06-2006, 06:52 PM

Game carts from Cabelas work great. If I were buying a new one, I would get dual wheel model. I would also get a big Rubber Maid box to put everything in, I think mine is 55 gal or so, and some tiedowns that can be tightened with a built-in ratchet. Cart will hold two boxes. trick is getting balance point at right height to push. Also, we have all added some sort of longer handle that goes out over each end of the handle so both can push at the same time. Be sure it is strong enough not to snap off. Ours is aluminum tube with dowell inside that is strong enough; attach with U-bolts. Make sure tie downs are fast to rails; if they slide around the entire load is at risk. Cart is great for taking on firewood hunts; as I recall, areas around campsites rather bare. Be sure not to get too wide a load, as may not fit on boat from Fontana Ramp. If water level down, rather muddy to the trailhead. Watson
Old 02-06-2006, 07:00 PM

Forgot to add: If buying a new cart, insure wheel hubs tight and packed properly. Take tools and grease, a tube of bike water-proof grease works well. Some friends of mine took a brand new one out, and we did trail-side repairs in the first half-mile. Also be careful not to overload downhill side of the axel if going around a slope. Please report on the state of the trail and bridges, as the last time I was there the main bridge was bent and the trail above rutted badly. Have heard it is all fixed, but not from anyone who has actually been there. As a simple country lawyer I know all about double hearsay. Cart allows all sorts of luxuries: I take a cot and a chair, as well as a big tent and more food than I can usually eat. However you get there, and with whatever you take, be prepared for a great trip. Nothing in the east beats Hazel Creek. Watson
Old 02-06-2006, 08:48 PM

Whatever you do don't rent one from the marina. Ours fell apart half way up and we had to rig it. It was also hard to pull because the handle was so low. Next time we are going to buy the game cart and modify it a little. Good advice about the mud. When we were dropped off, the water was down and it was a long trip in the mud (thick & deep) to the trailhead. We had to carry things in shifts through the mud. Yuk!

Old 02-07-2006, 10:22 AM

Paula and I would take a cooler to Hazel Creek with a big chunk of dry ice and some ice trays. You can make your own ice cubes which come in handy when the cocktail hour arrives. This system will work for days if you don't open the cooler very often.

Byron
Old 02-09-2006, 02:59 PM

Chris,

Here's a link to another board where you can take a look at several carts. You'll have to join the forum to view it.

http://www.psychofisher.com/cgi-bin/...m=1138937816/0
Old 02-09-2006, 04:20 PM

OH LORDY - a link to PSYCHOFISHER.COM on the LRO Forum!
Old 02-09-2006, 08:15 PM

Quote:
OH LORDY - a link to PSYCHOFISHER.COM on the LRO Forum! *
Huh? :-?