Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-03-2006, 01:38 PM

Default 2 Fly combos

How many of ya'll use two fly rigs? I generally use the double nymph rig if I am using two flies. I haven't been as successful with the dry/dropper combo in the Smokies. It works great for me on the tailwaters when I drop a small midge off the dry, but in the Smokies I just don't have the same luck. Who all uses a dry and dropper and if so, what flies do you like? Do you think it significantly increases your hookups?

David
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 02-03-2006, 03:01 PM

Default Re: 2 Fly combos

I have always favored a size 14 Thunderhead and a size 18 Pheasant tail as a dropper. I like this combo when fishing most large or medium sized streams in the Smokies. *I hook up alot more than just using a single dry or a single nymph. And if one is getting more hits than the other, you can switch to the more productive pattern. It is a good way to figure out what they are feeding on if you see no visible activity.
There are alot of great combinations, just make sure the dry is something bushy that won't get dunked by the nymph! Stimultors and Wulff styles are great for this type of fishing.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:06 PM

I will alwys be using a dropper UNLESS they are consistently hitting a dry. *If dry action is ON, for me there is nothing better. so I will stay only with a dry, or fish 2 drys. *If not, maybe a stimulator and a nymph, or double nymph. *Too many factors to go into my reasoning why.

As far as what combo, as Backcountry stated, there are quite a few good tandems, so why limit it. *Unless yours works well enough to not have to mix things up.

I was very suprised at how many more fish I hooked while using multiple patterns. *Coincidence? Nah, don't think so.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:43 PM

In the park I like to use a dry/dropper combo - usually a whatever supposed to be hatching in parachute or emerger style and a small pheasant tail dropper.
I find myself usually using double nymph rig on a tailwater - usually some combo of a small PT/Scud/midge or midge emerger (depending on season and time of day). Though on a tailwater I'll use a dry mainly for an indicator when the fish are being shy...

Jermz
Old 02-06-2006, 01:15 PM

Gary,

The park regulations allow the use of a dropper fly, with 2 flies allowed on a leader. Hope this helps...

David
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 02-08-2006, 04:52 PM

Also, It is a HUGE blast when you catch two trout at one time.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to 3flies

I use a Thunderhead dry and a Georges Nymph dropper. Only a few times that I didn't catch anything in 12 years of park fishing. If the fish are biting slow down and fish hard, if they are hitting slow fish fast hitting the holes and runs until you figure out what is working.