Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-26-2006, 05:37 PM

Default Re: More Questions About Wading Abrams

Hugh,

I guess I have to ask.......what are the ugly reasons??
Old 03-26-2006, 05:47 PM

"Car breakins and other types of theft".
Hugh
Old 03-26-2006, 05:47 PM

Billy- got caught in a very bad thunderstorm while in "in the shoe" and walked out in the dark. I WOULD NEVER GO IN WITHOUT SUPPLIES TO SPEND THE NIGHT. Got back to car at 11:00 -midnight had no problem getting out.

Little bottoms best accessed from Abram's Campground on edge of park.

Canyon 65 Mountain bikes are not allowed on the trails, so you'd have to park it at Trail head.I think you'd be better off time wise driving it.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:24 PM

Thanks a lot guys for your help! Yeah I was a little worried about leaving my car there for "break in" reasons and I didn't know if the Rangers would tow me or anything. It sounds like the best bet might be just to camp at the Cades Cove or Elkmont campgrounds and then just hike it early in the morning. Thanks again for your help and maybe I'll run into you guys in early May!

-Billy
Old 03-26-2006, 10:49 PM

I'm planning a trip to the smokies this spring and was wondering what kind of break-ins you've seen in the park. *I wouldn't have thought theft would be a problem in a national park.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:42 PM

I've never had any problems with break in's in the park. Could be because my stuff is junk . Just try to park in open easily seen areas.
The tailwater guys on the southeasternflyfishingforum.com sound like they have major problems. Apparently the local law has problems with whose juristiction is what and the offenders getting slaps on the hand. I hope this doesn't carry over more into the park than it has.
I try not to carry a lot of gear in a car parked at a trailhead. If I am camping, I keep my extra rods, etc. in my tent or camper. I make it a practice to open rod tubes, tackle bags, etc so someone looking in would see they are empty. Watch were you park.
Randy Sale
Old 03-26-2006, 11:56 PM

Tward, I don't want to dissuade you from coming to the Park with what I said. The situation at Abrams Creek has not been that bad, but it has happened occasionally in the past. The biggest thing that I was talking about is leaving a vehicle for several days while on an extended campover in the backcountry. The biggest factor is leaving lots of things that can be seen in the open, or leaving windows down while your on the stream. Just a little good judgement helps in these matters. It's not much different than leaving your car parked anywhere in a isolated area for a long period of time. Have a good time while your down here.
Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:48 AM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

tward...this is a wilderness park. few rangers, no lighted trailheads, isolated areas combine to give the thieves opportunity.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:09 AM

I have been coming to East Tenn for over 30 years now and have never had a problem. I have heard some stories but fortunatly they are few and they took place in Pegion Forge during peak tourist season. To my knowledge there is no problem in the Park or the surrounding area to worry about. If you use common sence you will not have a problem.