Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-05-2006, 02:19 PM

Default Re: Smoky Mountain Etiquette

Great Questions! I see my friend Riverrat has remembered all the good advice I've given him on this subject...and I must say that I've never heard him complain about freespace since, I know I've given plenty of room and suspect you will too!

Remember - A bad day fishin' is better ....blah, blah, blah

Just enjoy it! 8-)
Old 02-07-2006, 10:43 AM

I usually fish where or when I don't see many other fisherman. If I do encounter someone, I "leapfrog" around them and leave them some water to fish, and when they finish that water I have left, I expect them to "leapfrog" around me and leave me some water. When I have fished that water, I will go around them again.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:53 PM

My wife my son and I had a really bad experience last October .
We decided to fish Tremont and the wife and son started just above the foot bridge.
I went ahead a few hundred yards after fishing a couple of pools I came upon a lady sitting on a rock reading.
Just upstream there were a father and son both dressed in jeans and tennis shoes, the father with a fly outfit looking very confused.
* * I worked back downstream and up the rather steep bank :P
When the wife and son rejoined me we climbed another half mile or more.
* * Ten minutes later I noticed my wife on the trail looking very disgusted.
Just around the next boulder there were the same trio.
My wife had seen them pass and jump in just yards above me.
* * *Once again we hiked anotherhalf to three quarters of a mile.
This time Brenda decided to watch us from the trail.
I should have known why.
* Within twenty minutes the three passed , spotted a nice deep hole within yards of us and started to drop off the trail when Brenda stopped them and as politetly as she is capable of began to explain that we had three times been forced to yeild the stream to them.
* *It seems that the mans wife didnt like having her husband share the stream with anyone.
My wife however is not a patient woman and before my son and I could rescue the three of them from her ,they were moving back down the trail at quite an impressive pace looking back over their shoulders worriedly.
The sound of Brendas voice still echoing in the valleys,and their ears.
* *The moral to this story is with this woman three strikes and you are out.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:04 PM

Good story troutbum. *I bet we all have had similar experiences; particularly in the Tremont area of the Little River. *In large part we are the choir, (no offense preacher). *So, just among us girls:

If I'm putting in within 1/3 to 1/2 mile of someone already in - stop & talk a minute - (he may be ready to get out) let him know where I'm thinking about fishing. *100 to 200 yards just isn't enough water if he's going to keep fishing.

If someone jump me too close - I should let it go & give him enough water. *If he jumps me twice - I need to have a heart to heart with him about Smoky Mountain Etiquette and refer him to this message board.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:00 PM

Great discussion, folks! I especially like littlerivermike's approach.

I guess I've encountered etiquette "problems" most frequently on Little River and Tremont.

On "streams-that-shall-not-be-named," and that includes many that are more than, say, 400 yards from where someone could park a car, I can't recall any real issues.

Of course, if a potential interloper starts to head your way, you could always use the "Hey, didja see that mess'a copperheads?" line

Best wishes to all.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:24 PM

This is a great topic for discussion. *So far it sounds as if all who have posts on this topic are what I would consider to be knowledgeable and courteous anglers who know how to share the waters we love and appreciate.

My wish is to have all the the rock-chucking,intoxicated2toothedwithabrandnewspincaste randrapallachucking,
hurrydownthereboybeforehegetstherehunterlookingred neckfromInbredholler,
ohain'tmykidsocutethrowingjunkintothewater,
nonrespectfulnogoodoxygenwaster,
gofindsomeotherplacetogotrash individuals read this and hope some of it will sink in. *Do I sound a little aggrivated about this issue? *Yep, I sure do. *Too many times I have had the 'rudest of the rude' people intrude my space. *Well what I,and most of you apparently, consider to be my space. *But the fact of the matter is it is not my space. *It belongs to God and he just lets us use it. It is obvious to me that some of us treat it better than others.*

I am thankful for the times I can have a peaceful outing and hopefully in the future the only people I will run into is you guys who have a clue.

But to answer the origional question, I agree with Petey. *Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. *So if any of you have some greyhaired guy come up to you and hand you a fly he says he's lucky enough to find to work and then he leaves you the heck alone, repay him the favor if you come across him one day and see him so frustrated he's about to dive in and try to catch one by hand.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:59 PM

I have never had much trouble with other fishermen, my problem is with non-fishermen who stop and pester you with questions or worse for interminable minutes. You would think that in a park of 500,000 acres you could find somewhere where you could get some peace. I don't go real deep into the woods, but I don't stand out on the road with a parking sign easier.

Last Spring was typical. I was fishing downstream from Tremont when these two people stopped, walked down to the edge of the water and started splashing about laughing, after about 10 minutes they left. The next day I was fishing on the LR when a Suburban pulled up disgorged 5 people who proceeded to stand above me peppering me with questions for at least 10 minutes. However the worse was Fall of 04. I was fishing my way back to Townsend and had stopped by a little waterfall on the LR. I was seeing a little action and was chasing what appeared to be a nice looking 'Bow' when a car stopped, unloaded a family who climbed down the rocks, stood behind me and threw stones in the water downstream. I am sure you all know how hard it is to cast with people standing close behind you. The worst of it was before leaving the mother actually threw one of the kids in the water about 6 feet behind me. So much for my last cast of the day. I just waited until they left and got out of the water and went back to the hotel.

I realize the Park belongs to everyone. Years ago my late wife and I used to hike(we made it every falls on the TN side) and would often pass people fishing. We would wave and then move on assuming they were doing their thing and didn't need our help to enjoy themselves. Don't get the wrong idea I don't mind being friendly and chatting for a bit, but 10-15 minutes of talk or dodging flying kids is a bit extreme it seems to me.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:13 AM

Send a message via AIM to 3flies

One summer we were fishing a hole on LR and three car loads of people from Atlanta jumped out and stood beside us and began throwing rocks at our dries. At first I figured pure ignorance and began to explain what was happening with the fish when they tossed in rocks and as we were there first there was plenty of water around to throw rocks at. It wasn't children, they were adults! There kids, after hearing me explain had stopped throwing rocks and tried to move down stream. Thier parents encouraged them to stay and throw rocks where we were fishing! They may have been drinking or some such but I couldn't be sure. We stayed where we were and they soon tired of the rock throwing and as they left one of the adults in the party hung back away from the others and apologized for the behavour of the others. Made me feel a little better, but for about a half an hour I was in condition red. I was not afraid of being beat up or anything like that. I could have stopped them all if I had too.
Ahhh "thats all I can say about that".
Old 02-20-2006, 09:12 PM

Recovery times for Smoky Mountain trout vary from a few minutes to several hours. *Last summer, I was catching plenty of fish then suddenly everything shut down. *I looked at my fishin partner, he looked at me. *We later found that at that spot roughly 2 hours earlier 2 fishermen had bushwacked their way in front of us. *The fishing never recovered. *On the flip-side, I was fishing around the wye and was approached by a swimmer with mask and snorkel telling me there were several trout where he'd been fishing. *To humor him, I cast into the exact spot he had been flopping around in just a few minutes earlier. *In 12 casts, I caught 11 trout. *(I was distracted by a nice bikini on one). *

I believe factors related to recover include:
1. Trout familiarity with people. *The more familiar, the faster recovery. *I have fished between tubers and caught fish.
2. Hunger. *The greater the hunger, the shorter the recovery

Predator 8-)
Old 02-23-2006, 11:38 AM

I agree with Pred - it can take 2+ hours for water to recover in the backcountry. *That's why we should give our brothers (& sisters) more than 100 to 200 yards!! *Do we agree that it will take, on average, much less than 2 hours to fish 100 to 200 yards of backcountry water??