Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-20-2006, 09:36 AM

Default Average size........

I've heard many folks over the years talk about catching 12-14inch fish all day in the park. My experience has been that most fish are 8-10 inches and I consider 12-14 to be a real exception. I've seen the monsters by using masks in some of the "swimming" holes and I've even spooked a few. I know they are there. I'll never forget seeing 2 20"+ browns in Abrams Creek one morning up by the parking lot. HUGE!

I was just wondering what the average size fish you guys catch in the park are.
Thanks-
Hollis
Old 01-20-2006, 11:37 AM

Default Re: Average size........

Interesting question...for me it seems that the average size I catch varies from year to year. While some days in every year have more fish that are larger than normal, it seems like some years those days happen a lot more often. For example, in 2004 I caught a lot more 10-12 inch trout than I did last year. One day in particular the small fish were about 8 inches and the average was probably 10. I dunno if it is just me or maybe it has something to do with the class years in the stream Anyone else experience this?

David Knapp
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 01-21-2006, 10:53 PM

I guess the average would depend on what water you were on...certain small waters a 10" fish is an above average monster, while on the larger watersheds like abrams, 12-14 can be average on a good day while sometimes it seems nothing but the dinks will hit. Little River in the fall for me seems above average with the nice browns out and about, but generally 8-10" least what I'm doing the rest of the year - except for spring if I'm lucky. As I understand it though, after a flood year, fish tend to average larger as the smaller fish are washed, but the food source is still available...

Jermz
Old 01-23-2006, 05:32 PM

Not to question anyone's reputation and integrity but I think we all get a little excited and subconcisously add at least one inch to a fish when we look at it, sometimes even two inches. I decided to buy one of those measurement thingys you can put on your net. Sure enough, now a ten inch fish is a whole lot more rare than previously. It is just so easy to be deceived when you don't have a proper way of measure. Most fish at a higher elevations stream will fall in the 6 to 8 inch bracket in my experience. It took me eight seasons of fishing a particular stretch of water before I landed my first 11" Brookie. I have caught numerous Brookies in the 8" bracket which I would have thought to be 10" if I hadn't had my measurement tape on my net.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:51 PM

Hollis,
Good topic. I would agree with you. 8-10 inch average with anything 12 or over being 'rare'. I tend to catch bigger fish during the Spring thru mid-Summer. Last year, some of my fishing buddies and myself caught an unusual amount of 12-14" bows during this time. Don't know if I'm doing something wrong from mid-Summer on or if all those who are not an advocate of catch and release visit my favorite waters and take some supper home.
If you want to see some hogs some time, snorkel at the "Y". If I only knew what they would take!
Old 01-24-2006, 11:34 AM

When I first started bass fishing my average fish was pretty small. It was VERY rare that I landed the big fish. Then the more I fished where talking day in day out the size got bigger. I started catching 2-3lb fish on a regular basis and now I have caught several 5-6lb bass.

I think as your technique gets better and your knowledge of lures and presentation get better so does the size of the fish. Granted that Gatlinburg is probably one of the toughest places I have ever trout fished. You just have to be more careful in stalking the fish. When I had my guided trip we spent the first 15 minutes just looking at the stream. I saw some REALLY good size fish come through and if I had the patience and perfect presentation I am sure I could have caught them. I also found that I caught bigger fish in tailwaters where its easier to work without spooking the fish.

We where about 30 feet up above some trout and saw them actually spook just from our movement. I am going to go up to Walmart and get some of the hunting camo when it goes on sale. I would like to get the 3D leafy jacket and maybe something to go over my waders.

I would like to unlock the secret to big trout because they have to eat too.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:29 PM

I agree with David, 2004, after the big '03 flood, I caught more 9" - 12" fish. *2005 there were more in the 6" - 9 " fish. *Talking mostly about rainbows. *Browns a little bigger, brookies a little smaller. *If I fish all day, (6 hours) in the spring I will catch 20 - 30 fish with maybe one at or above 12".