Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-27-2006, 09:41 PM

Default Terrestrials

Over the years I have come to fish almost exclusively with terrestrials, I was wondering what you guys'
experiences with them in the GSMNP were.

Tight Lines!
Old 01-28-2006, 09:26 AM

Default Re: Terrestrials

Almost any fish I have ever kept during my summer camping trips up in the Smokies had tons of black ants in there. The guys at the old Trenthams Hardware store always recommended fishing black ants. I just can't see them and end up missing fish. About 8-10 years ago I started fishing them as a dropper about 6" behind a stimulator, parachute adams, or royal wulff. It's been really productive.

The other great terrestrial I love to drop off the back of a fly is a bright green inch worm. I was on Little River and fished this hole for a long time with no luck. On my way up to the trail I found an inchworm. I get up to the top and throw it off into the water and a fish taggs it within 5 seconds of being in the water. The best pattern I've used has been a silicone rubber swimmers cap that was a perfect match. I don't know what I'll do when I run out.

-Hollis
Old 02-06-2006, 09:01 PM

Biggest fish I've caught in the park was on a grasshopper. Ants are deadly in the summer, but I can't see them very well anymore, even with a hi-vis green or orange spot.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:35 PM

I'll second the green weenie (inchworm pattern) - that's pretty much my go to dropper late spring through fall...there is also a tannish yellow inch worm that I have seen frequently hanging from trees that i think I'll try out that color as well...

Jermz
Old 02-09-2006, 11:01 AM

Ants are very effective, in a varity of comination, with stimulators for instance they work great. At 50 plus they are were difficut to see. I have had alot of hits that I subsequently missied becasue Im blind and slow.