Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 01-20-2006, 12:47 AM

Default fishin the Elk

anyone on this board fish the elk much?

talking about the elk below tims ford dam......
Old 01-20-2006, 01:14 AM

Default Re: fishin the Elk

I fished it a couple of times when I lived in Nashville. Small midges and blackflies worked when I went.
Stretch
Old 01-20-2006, 01:50 PM

Add another hour & i can be in the mountains I have fished it out of desperation, don't take that the wrong way, there are better places though & the Elk has been known to holdover some nice browns.

Grumpy
Old 01-26-2006, 07:13 PM

I have fished it a couple of times. I know two people who have fished it for years and have gotten BIG fish twice. So, there are some nice size rainbow and browns in there. Some browns are in the 10lb plus range and some rainbows 3+. BUT, they are few and far between that big. Most are your average stocker size. Go there in the cooler months. You won't catch much after April or before October. Good luck if you go.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:25 AM

I usually fish the Elk two or three times a year, but I prefer to head up to the mountains or to the Hiwassee if I have the time at all. I'm a wader and wading access isn't great on the Elk. Every time I've fished near the dam, it's been crowded. My usual spot is the Farris Creek Bridge access. Nice long wadeable spot especially if not many others are fishing there. I've had good luck on small nymphs there, but the fish can get really picky about what they want. I saw a brown that appeared to be around 4 or 5 lbs there last time. Couldn't get him to bite and only succeeded in spooking him. I would like to take a canoe sometime as that would open up much more water.

hawgdaddy
Old 02-23-2006, 12:56 AM

I live on the bank of the Elk but my heart is in the Appalachians, that being said I fish it as often as I can or want, I wouldn't drive large amounts of miles to fish it if I had fishable water nearer to where you live. I'm fortunate to have a Jon boat with a 12hp Mud Buddy Hyper Long Tail motor so I can go any where I want on the river, there is fish to be had but you have to work for them.