Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-05-2006, 11:34 PM

Default Cold weather fishing on AbramsCreek

Just saying thanks to David and Dan at the shop for not telling me I'm crazy for fishing in the snow on Abrams Creek today. The fish did not seem to care. Caught and released 37 rainbow and #36 was over 15 inches long. Lost one big fish because of ice freezing the line to the line guides. A completly unbelievable day. So I'll bring the pictures I took of the fish the next time I stop by. *Thanks
Old 02-06-2006, 01:00 AM

Default Re: Cold weather fishing on AbramsCreek

man........that is great!!

post some of those pics on here.

i will be fishing abrams during spring break......cant wait!!
Old 02-06-2006, 09:31 AM

.......and that's why I'm always reading this board! Even though I can't get up there too often, I sure like reading about those who do. I bet it was beautiful up there fishing in the snow. I long for the day that I hit it right and can be there when the flakes are falling.

Dang bro-37! Great day. Midges fished on the drop?
-Hollis
Old 02-06-2006, 10:31 AM

Way to go Glenn. Check out today's fishing report. Byron
Old 02-06-2006, 03:47 PM

Wow! *Sounds like you had a great day. *A friend and I fished Abrams several weeks back during some snow. *It was very pretty out, but the fish didn't cooperate nearly as well for us (we caught four *). *Surprisingly, all of our fish came on large hare's ear nymphs in fairly fast pocket water. *We had no luck in the deeper holes where you would expect winter fish to be holding. *My brother and I fished the Tellico for the first time Friday and Saturday. *Had a rough time there as well. *Weather was pretty bad (storms Friday night and rain/snow mixture with rising dingy water on Saturday), but we toughed it out. *We caught four fish (do I see a pattern developing here) including a decent-sized brown of about 11 inches. *So far my first winter of trout fishing hasn't gone that well, but hopefully I'm learning something. *If nothing else, the bad luck is forcing me to try tons of different techniques and types of flies.

hawgdaddy
Old 02-06-2006, 08:56 PM

Thanks for the responses. Fact is I'm a wanabe trout fisherman.
The water temperature at Abrams was 40 degrees at 1:00 in the afternoon on Sunday, so it was cold. About two weeks ago I switched from a dropper combo bed head prince nymph and hare's ear to a Harvey Stone fly that worked good last year. Well, it's working good this year too. *I love to dry fly fish but in this cold weather , nymphs work best for me. And I still use a pinch on strike indicator. (Some day I'll grow up but when your catching fish its hard to stop).
Question. I noticed that the bottom half of the tail fin on one of the large rainbows was partially shreded. Not bad but noticable. *Any ideas why.? This fish was caught above the falls, upstream of little shoe so I dont think it was a stocker :-/. *
Old 02-06-2006, 09:32 PM

Sounds like you had an awesome day on the water! About the fish with the tail fin that was shredded, did it look like it was something an otter could have done? I know there are otters in Abrams. I have only been lucky enough to see them once personally. They eat fish though so maybe this fish had a near-death experience ? Or maybe it has been spawning and stirring the gravel around...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 02-07-2006, 09:45 AM

Largemouth bass will sometimes have pretty severely shredded fins after fanning out a bed for spawning. *I don't know if rainbows experience similar symptons, but Plateau Angler's idea sounds likely. *Especially with January being so mild, the trout might have gotten an early start.

I've been using mostly hare's ear/*****(fill in your choice of dropper nymph here) combos this winter with a yarn indicator. *Might should give my stone fly patterns more time from the sound of it. *Either that or switch to a pinch on indicator *.

hawgdaddy
Old 02-15-2006, 02:12 PM

Fished Abrams Creek Saturday, Feb. 11,[img][/img] in the snow for about 3 hours and caught 6 rainbows - 8" to 12". Almost didn't get out of the Cove due to the snow and my two wheel drive pick-up. Fished the West Prong on Sunday and got skunked. I parked at the Y and walked in as the Park was closed Sunday morning.