Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-19-2006, 12:49 AM

Default Re: Black Bear Encounters

I just shot a quick email to the NPS to double check. Realizing the NPS and Forest Service are two different entities Forest Service personnel in the Gallatin and Shoshone are REQUIRED to carry it when ever they leave their vehicles. The spray has been advertized as a Non lethal way to make bears change their minds about messing with humans. I know that Wynn's(before it when out of business) carried it after the fatal attck on Little River.

I've posted recommending carrying the Spray for years on various bulletin boards, and never had anyone remark that it was illegal. Counter assault Bear Spray has propellent shelf life of *2 years, I been carrying the cans that I obtained in Cody, Wyo. ever since having throwing my sleeping bag out alongside my car in a N. F. campground in S. Ky and waking up to the growls of someone's Fido and his friends.

Old 03-20-2006, 05:56 PM

I have been coming to the park since 1976 first with my late wife to hike(we hit every falls in the Park) and now by myself to fish(I'm too old to hike those high trails anymore) and I have never seen a bear. Part of me would like to, but then part of me thinks better of it.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to 3flies

Cades Cove, Clingman's Dome and Greenbriar are the places where I have seen the most bears. Most of the backcountry campsites have bears when thier natural food is scarce.
Reality check! Who remembers the bear in Pigeon Forge that drank the chocolate drinks? This will show your age and history in the area.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:30 PM

The bear that downed the chocolate drinks was not in Pigeon Forge but was on the outskirts of Sevierville....there is a concrete statue market there right now....Toward the end, they also had deer and elk in a fenced area behing the bear cage...this was at the fork of the road that ran over the river and past the quarry on your way to Sevierville. Now, to really show my age, in Pigeon Forge proper, there was an amusement park called Fort Wear....here they had deer walking the area that allowed petting and the caged bear there drank the old Orange Crush that came in the brown bottles. There is a multi-level putt-putt course on this site now....
Old 03-20-2006, 06:37 PM

I'm about 10-12 years younger than you. Don't remember the deer and other animals but the bear I remember was always a spot we stopped when going into the park when I was a child. Now days it's hard to figure when you leave Sevierville and enter Pigeon Forge.
Anybody else know what we are talking about?
Old 03-21-2006, 10:53 AM

When I was growing up the road thru Pigeon Forge was only 4 lanes wide and that is where the town generally srarted....there was only one or two traffic lights and only about a half dozen motels.....I could leave Sevierville and be fishing in the park in about 15 minutes.....how things change...there was no Dollywood....used to be a Wild West Park that Dolly bought and moved herself into.....think the place was Six Gun Territory....
Old 03-21-2006, 04:08 PM

Dollywood was Silver Dollar City before Dolly bought it. i remember the bears and the 4 lane road into Pigeon Forge. I'm not as old as everyone else but I can remember when there wasn't a Belz Mall! And the only amusement park place was Magic World!
Old 03-28-2006, 10:14 AM

Your memory is a little better than mine about Dollywood....Pigeon Forge used to be mainly for the spill over traffic from Gatlinburg....were probably only about 4-5 motels then... when those filled up the only place left between there and Knoxville was the Round Top Cottages behing my grandmother's house in Sevierville...occasionally she would get a call late at night from the Round Top's owner about putting up stranded tourists....that would kick us kids out of our room and onto the porch....things have really changed....who now would open their door to strangers in the middle of the night....
Old 03-28-2006, 12:55 PM

I think that before Silver Dollar City it was Gold Rush Junction.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:46 PM

This really makes me look old, but I can remember the building of the first couple
of Motels at Pigeon Forge.