Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Salmon and Steelhead

Old 09-02-2007, 09:53 AM

Default Salmon lines for Michigan?

Looks like I may just squeeze in at the end of the salmon run in the UP. I will be headed up there with an 8wt. I'm looking for suggestions on lines for salmon. I've seen everything from chopped up lines as shooting heads, to intermediates, full sinks, and floaters.

At this point, I'm considering just putting on a Sci Anglers GPX WF8F and saying the heck with it. Would this be a huge mistake?

The purpose of the trip is not solely for fishing, so I may only have a few hours on the water. I'd really rather not try to rig up multiple lines to take.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:40 PM

Default Lines for kings

You will likely be sight-fishing to Kings in shoals 1-3 feet deep. Floating line with some weight on the flies would be fine. You might check Schmidt Outfitters site. What river on the UP are you planning to fish? The Escanaba maybe? I you are fishing to spawners, make sure to fish to the bucks in the back (holding behind the hen) The bucks will not leave for long as long as the hen is there. If you "knock the lady off the barstool" (catch the hen) the bucks will leave! It is kind of repetitive, if you find the fish stay on them. Just keep drifting your fly through the males, eventually one will take.......then hold on!
Have fun, love the UP.
Best,
John
Old 09-07-2007, 05:48 PM

Years ago I fished the PM, saw the males fighting for the hens etc. Nature in the raw! What a trip.

sb