Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Salmon and Steelhead

Old 12-04-2006, 05:52 PM

Default Re: GREAT LAKES

Gary,
We fished the shoals on the MO and the fish were definately on the reds. They would move to the fly for no rhyme or reason, I think maybe just to kill it. We fished to the males (though one of the fish pictured is a hen) they called that "knocking the lady off the bar stool" and the bucks leave when she gets caught. If we tailed hooked any fish we would break them off. I noticed some guys would lift the rod as it drift through the bucks, obviously attempting to snag them. We were there the 3rd week of October which was maybe alittle late but there were alot of fish still at it. In two days of fishing for kings we all landed 8-10 fish a piece and lost 4-5 times that many. Just lucky (with the timing) and good weather.We used small flies. Green bodied caddis wetlfy Size 10 or 8. Black Stone (bh) size 8, Spring wiggler size 8, 10. Heavy hooks, Flourocarbon tippets 12 or 16 lb. They will move for the fly though. I would bet some sort of a sculpin would really agitate them as well, but did not try it.
For the steelies; we used oregon cheese estaz eggs, something else might have worked better, but we trusted the guides judgement. Steelhead run later after the first of November as I recall. Any other questions let me know. Steelhead were in the deep runs or behind current breaks, sometimes below the salmon redds.
Best,
Old 12-05-2006, 02:52 PM

Hey Guys, I couldn't stay out of this one. I like to fish the King run in Michigan on the PM or the Big Manistee. Most of the guides on those rivers use eggs and nymphs. Our guide who has also become a friend is Chuck Scribner at Scribner Outfitteers in Manistee. We've had good luck with Yuk Bugs and Girdle Bugs in Black or Chartreuse. I've seen salmon swim over several feet to take one. Like everyone else we do snag fish. Once we've determined they are snagged we break them off. But, when you get a "head shaker" the fun is on!

Byron
Old 12-06-2006, 11:12 AM

Hey Guys,

I am encouraged to know the salmon can hooked fairly. Maybe we were just there on bad days and the fish were not cooperating. We were fishing a green bodied caddis and I believe a black stone fly in tandem. Our guide did use some egg patterns but I don't know which style they were now. Our guide instructed us to high stick and set the hook at any time the line stopped which makes sense to me. We did not have any rod jerking takes.

We did not see any fish move to take our fly but we sure did see plenty of fish on the redds. You could tell the males from the hens very easily when they were on the redds with the bucks holding just below the hens and then moving in as she layed on her side to deposit eggs. Quite a thing to watch even if we did not catch any in a legal manner. By the way, the snagged fish was released after finding she was hook just behind the head. The one fish I hooked was obviously snagged and I applied enough pressure to pull out the hook.

To be honest, after believing we were only going to snag salmon I became much more interested in fishing for the trout we would occassionaly see holding just behind them. We had the pleasure of fishing Alaska for the first time this year and that was the basic technique we used there. I am still interested in salmon and may give it a go again next fall.

Your thoughts and suggestions are appreciated. Any time you set out on a new endeavor all the help you can get is useful. By the way Byron, our guide also fishes the PM and I would have loved to fished it also. If we get real serious I may give Chuck Scribner a call.

Tight Lines and Christmas greetings to all, gary <*))))><
Old 12-10-2006, 12:43 PM

I'm from Ohio and would like some information on the salmon fishing in this area....anyone who could let me know a bit about it, I would be grateful......when, where, type of rigging, etc.....

buckeyetrouter
Jeremiah 29:13
Old 12-10-2006, 05:09 PM

Buckeye,

Many of the tributaries to Lake Michigan have a fall salmon run. It usually starts in mid September and runs through October. Sometimes earlier, sometimes later. Paula and I like to fish early on when the "green" hot fish first come in the rivers. That's usually mid to late September. I've found the peak to be early to mid October. You will catch a lot more fish then. We use an 8 wt or 9 wt outfit with lots of backing and a reel with a good drag. They almost always take you deep into the backing. I've been playing with Spey Rods lately. I've fished the Big Manistee and the Piere Marquette (check spelling). There are a lot of good outfitters up there. We use Scribner Outfitters owned by Chuck and Linda Scribner in Manistee, Michigan. They can be reached at 231-723-6193 or e-mail scribner@gtii.com. Tell them you know us. They are fine folks. You can fish without guides in several rivers but on your first trip I would spend at least a couple of days with one of the Scribner guides. You will probably catch more King Salmon than anything else. They run between 15 and 20 pounds. You might catch a Coho or two and Steelhead follow the Kings in to eat their eggs. In the later fall the huge Brown Trout migrate into these rivers to spawn from Lake Michigan. I tried that once but the weather turned real bad. It was December. The Steelhead run starts in early Spring. Michigan is a beautiful state offering fly fishing anglers a smorgasboard of opportunities. Hope this helps.

Byron
Old 12-10-2006, 11:20 PM

thanks for the info Byron....can't wait to take advantage of this incredible resource........

buckeyetrouter
Old 12-13-2006, 08:54 AM

I lived in the Buffalo area for five years and fished the Tribs in that area. I fished the Catturagus, Chataqua and 18 Mile Creek that drained into Erie. I also fished the Niagara River, 18 Mile at Burt, NY along with the Salmon River near Pulaski, NY. If you need info on any those streams let me know.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:44 AM

Buckeyetrouter - Give the guys at Mad River Outfitters a call or check out their website. They have some trips to OH and MI and if they don't have the info, I'm sure they can hook you up.

My 17 year old nephew, who I took fishing for the first time when he was 6, took me Steelheading last April for the first time. On the 4th day with an hour of fishing time left, I hooked and landed a 30 incher in the Rocky. I'm not sure who was more excited. I was up again this December and over a 2-day pereiod on the Ashtabula, I hooked 11 and landed 3. I hooked one at the top of some rapids and when he felt the hook he just turned downstream. Before I could take a step he had me on the backing and unhooked at about 80 yards. WOW!

It is a real kick when you can spot a fish and then cast to them time and time again until they split, hit, or you finally give up. I'll be heading back up as soon as this deep freeze passes.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:59 PM

hey BuckeyeRick.....that sounds like a blast, I really want to try it. What size set up were you using. I have a 6wt , will that be enough or should I look at upgrading for these monsters......

BTW.....check out the brownie that I snapped on the mad river today....she was a real beauty....as spooky as she was, I would have never stood a chance with my rod and reel, thank goodness the camera was handy.......

buckeyetrouter
Old 02-22-2007, 11:42 PM

Default Flies

I have been fishing the streams all year! Most of the streams will hold fish all year, you just have to find the right ones. Also some of the streams hold huge lake run browns, my biggest this year was 7 lbs. My go too fly is the Sucker Spawn, it has caught steelhead in all the great lakes.

tight lines!

jordan