Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-21-2006, 12:09 AM

Default Rainy Weather Fishing

There are a couple of us coming up from Auburn to fish the Little river area of the park next week. It always seems to be hit or miss on planning for the weather in advance but I am trying to get prepared for the worst and hope for better.
That said do any of yall have any suggestions on fishing in the rain (other than not to fish in the rain.) I was wondering mainly as to what fly selections and is there any difference in how you approach a stream. It seems like every year we are up there for spring break it rains constantly, and I'm determined not to let a little foul weather ruin our trip. I'm not saying we plan on fishing through thunderstorms or anything, but more like the typical smoky mountain drizzle. When water levels are up is it not better to fish smaller streams?
Would general nymph patterns, like phesant tail, prince, Hares ear, and cooper johns work in the rain, or is there something else I should work on tying?

Just looking for some opinions from people who would know. This will be our second year to fish S.B. in the smokies and I was looking to hopefully have better luck this year.

MR
Old 03-21-2006, 12:28 AM

Default Re: Rainy Weather Fishing

MR,

I enjoy fishing in the rain. It can be a great time to catch larger than average fish. Some of my very best days in the Smokies were fishing during high water. You might add some larger nymphs to your list, such as prince nymphs and stonefly nymphs. One of my larger browns was caught when the water was muddy after a storm and I was throwing a large nymph. Fishing the smaller streams is a great idea if the water gets too high or muddy. Keep in mind that Abram's tends to fish better when it has been raining a lot, especially the spring creek section because it takes a lot more water to muddy it compared to some of the other streams. The West Prong of LR has fished well for me in high water also. Warm rainy weather can potentially lead to some excellent hatches. Don't overlook larger streams such as Little River for this to happen. As long as the water levels are not dangerously high, there can still be good fishing. Good luck with your trip!

David
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com