Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Meet the New Members > New Members Board

Old 02-24-2006, 01:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to phil4christ
Default What kind of fly rod or reel should I buy ?

Hey everyone, I was looking for some help, I have just started fly-fishing and currently fish with a Fluger combo. *I was looking to up grade and was wondering what would be a good rod and reel for me. *I was looking to spend anywhere from $200 on the rod or reel , nothing more than $400. *I was looking for good quality but does'nt have to be state of the art. *I'm looking for a rod with the brown bamboo look at the base. *I also want fly line that would be a darker tent possibly brown really camo green. *It would help me tons if someone could write back and let me know the good quality brands in flyrods and reels and what they have found to be useful. Possibly even to tell me I need to save some more money and upgrade later. *Just let me know, I would appreciate it ! * God's Love and blessings to you , PHIL
Old 02-24-2006, 01:52 PM

Default Re: What kind of fly rod or reel should I buy ?

Howdy Phil,

Mike here. I would suggest that if you are close enough to Townsend, that you stop in LRO's shop and talk to Daniel, Byron or Paula. They are so helpful and my experience with them has been nothing but wonderful. Now mind you I live in Florida and don't work for LRO or have stock in the company .

My first experience with them was a number of years ago when in my early to mid forties I stopped in for some flies and advice. I had just decided to try out the sport of Fly fishing and bought the best rod our local NE Florida Walmart had. I put a cheal reel, oversized I might add and cheaper line on the rig. What can I say, ignorance is bliss. One day as I was in the shop and my ignorance was revealed over some basic line and connection issues, one of the staff had me bring in my rig for some help. He showed me loop connectors and didn't snicker the first time (at least to my face) at the monstrosity (sp?) of the rig I had concocted. I am lauging myself even now as I recall it. By the time I left the shop he had placed the right connector on my line and gavwe me some tips that made a world of positive difference in my fishing experience.

The simple thing is that I have never been treated in any way but incredibly courteous and with such wonderful kindness. It was only natural that later when I decided to upgrade, I went to my new friends for advice and help in making the selection. In fact I called to talk with someone and Daniel happened to answer the phone. He asked me some questions and made some suggestions. I was able to walk into the shop a week or two later with that information feeling and even appearing a bit more knowledgable than before.

By going to the shop you will be able to see, pick up, hold, and try out the various rods and reels. These folks are so generous and helpful I am confident that if you are able to shop with them your expereince will be nothing but great! Because of LRO, Townsend has become one of if not the most favorite vacation destinations for my family!!!

Mike
"Fly-fishing has many attributes, but none more pleasing than it's ability to liberate the young boy that still hides within me and to let that boy live again without embarrassment or regret, sorrow or anguish." Harry Middleton
Old 02-26-2006, 12:56 PM

Hey phil, Let us know what type of fishing you plan on doing with your new rod and reel (trout, bass, salt) and what areas (for trout: mountains or tailwaters). I think that the people of the board will be able to better answer your question .
Old 02-27-2006, 07:33 AM

I'm looking for a rod that will suit me well in the Smokey Mountains and places like Montana.. *I'm a local and live in Knoxville so that would be nice. *I'm definitely fishing for trout. *I do not know what tailwaters mean? But I would appreciate if you could explain. *Thanx for the comments and the help ! *God bless, PHIL
Old 02-27-2006, 10:42 AM

Phil, the river area below a dam is usually referred to as a tailwater, for example the clinch river below Norris dam. As far as rods go a 8 1/2ft 4wt. would be a good all around rod for this area. On the subject of reels, I don't believe you need to spend a ton of money on one for trout. Purchase one with a good drag system, because you might need it for tailwater fishing, but for the mountains, it is usually not necessary. The good folks at LRO will be able to put you in the right direction. I would simply cast as many rods as you can until you find the one that suits your needs. Hope some of this info helps.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:52 AM

Phil,

If you are looking for one rod and reel to cover your bases for both the Park and out West, and you don't want to break the bank here is my suggestion:
Rod-- Find a nice TFO (Temple Fork), 5 wt, 9 ft. *These rods are GREAT. *They perform like many more expensie rods, but without the big price tag. *5 wt is heavy enough for out West, but not too heavy for the park, especially if you are going to throw nymphs. *It is also light enough to present a dry nicely. *9 ft is pushing the envelope for the park somewhat, but it is nice for high sticking up there. *It is a good height for me for out West, long enough to help shoot line when you need to.

Reel-- *If you were going to fish only in the park, I would not spend a lot of $ on the reel, because you RARELY reep the benefits of your investment. *In the park, the reel is basically a line holder. *Now, sometimes you might have to fight the fish on the reel in the park, but not very often. *If you want to buy one reel and one reel only for everything, buy a nice Ross, Abel, or other brand endorsed by LRO. *Out West, if you don't have a good reel, you will suffer a horribly painful and agonizing regret for not buying a good reel. *I can't stress enough the importance of a good reel for the larger waters.

Mike gave you good advice, check with LRO on your purchaces, they are great. *Daniel, Paula, or Byron will dial you in with just what you need because they have fished in almost every situation. *Their experience is equal to their knowledge.

Good luck and may God Bless You also!
Old 02-28-2006, 10:24 AM

pmike, stretch, rock hopper, thanks so much ! You helped out a lot. *I decided on a LFO rod and a Orvis reel. *I ended up dropping $470 but I'm really excited about it! It has the wood finish on the back stock behind the cork and a wooden peace on the crank. *My rod length is 7.8 5wt. , something like that, not sure right off but I know it's not past 8. I'm excited about the new piece and hope to see you guys fishing sometime ? *Hope all is well , God bless and thanx for your help ! I will post a pic later just to see what you think
Old 02-28-2006, 03:50 PM

Redington Red Fly rods are great for the slightly cheaper price than most. I use two reels, Okuma 6-7wt, and a Pflueger Trion 3-4wt. Love both of them. I fish the smokies each year.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:31 AM

Phil, I agree the TFO flyrods are hard to beat for the price and the warranty (as well as performance). As far as reels go the Orvis mid-arbor is a high quality reel at a very reasonable price. You will be happy with both. Glad to see you getting into fly fishing, there is nothing like it! Good luck, H.T.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:49 PM

Alright here it is guys, Superfine CFO III Reel and TFO 7.8 4wt rod , 4 piece, I went out to the Clinch River today and the fish were not hitting much, caught a very small 4 inch rainbow. Thanx again for the help

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...C963B778478658