Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-26-2006, 11:28 PM

Default Hans

Did you get my pm over on the southeast (former SFFF) board?

If not, check it over there.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:05 PM

Default Re: Hans

I did but I kind of was waiting for better weather before I decided to reply. Anyway, I apologize. I am actually going fishing this Wednesday, I'm off of a short term work assignment and I'm free this week. The weather is supposed to be real good. I'm going to Abrams. If you can I would like some company? If not we could try to hook up for the weekend. I am now officially starting my season so i'm all game. Let me know?

Old 03-03-2006, 02:59 PM

Hans,

A couple years ago on the old message board someone, I think now it may have been you, wrote quite a bit about fishing a Hornberg in the Smokies. I was not on the message board then but recently got onboard. If it was you that I recall do you think the fly will be effective in late March? If it was not you then forgive me. All I remember for sure is that the individual really loved to use the fly and wrote about it quite frequently. I have been watching the board for a name that looked familiar and yours sure seems like the one.

Either way, best wishes on you upcoming trip to the Abrams. Thanks for any advice and I am sorry if I sent this to the wrong person.

tight lines, gary <*))))><
Old 03-03-2006, 05:52 PM

Gary!

Well, I don't think I have ever written about Hornbergs since I don't even own one. I did write three years ago about fishing in the Smokies in July and catching my biggest Brookie to date as well as many other fairly hefty brookies in the 8" to 11" bracket. The big one was 11" and the others around 9". I did use a Joe's Hopper which is a little bit unusual for the mountains. They can be effective in the mid to late summer and on into the fall. I wouldn't think it would do much good until about late May. They can be used as a stonefly imitation also if need be. I might be the one you are thinking of but as far as I know a Hornberg is some kind of saltwater or baitfish imitation if I'm not mistaken. I don't use those.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:34 PM

I have fished a Hornberg on occasion in the Smokies ...at first out of ignorance more than knowledge...these days when I see them on fly lists they are usually listed as a wet fly....I have had my best luck with them fished as dry flies....God only knows what the fish think they are....they are big and long and float really high when treated....I have caught rainbows up to 13" on them from late spring thru early fall....I am sure the fish must thing they are some big tasty terrestrial....
Old 03-03-2006, 09:36 PM

Sorry for the mix up on the writer with an affection for the Hornberg. Maybe the person that wrote those messages will see this one and reply. I have done a little research on the fly and have found it can be fished wet or dry. I have seen it mentioned as an imitation of a stone fly and also a caddis. When stripped subsurface it must represent a baitfish. I prefer to fish dry flies myself but must admit much of what I have read suggest it attracts larger fish when fished wet.

Either way I appreciate both replies I have received to this point. I am going bring a few with me later this month and see what happens. If I have an outstanding experience I will let all of you know. Most likely I will tie on a Parachute Adams or a BWO and fish it all day vowing to try the Hornberg at the next spot.

Once again, thanks for the help guys, gary <*))))><