Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-02-2006, 06:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to phil4christ
Default The Fly fishing bible ?

Hey this is Phil here, I was wondering if I could get some info from you expierenced anglers. *I love hiking and have a book and the nickname of this book is called the Hiker's Bible, it very helpful in knowing the trails and what the trail consist of, the only thing it lacks is distinct locations of all the good fishing holes in the smokies, NOW THAT IS DISTURBING ! *MY QUESTION to you is, what book out there would be considered the Fly fishing bible, that will tell you all the good fishing holes in the smokies ( maybe even a story behind the hole ) and possibly some other holes around this area ( East Tennessee ). *I guess what I'm looking for is more based on the smokey mountains. *This is where my heart is ! *So I would appreciate any help, and sure others would appreciate your input as well. *
By the way, God first then fishing, don't take the Flyfishing bible literally
God bless, and thanx again PHIL
Old 03-02-2006, 06:42 PM

Default Re: The Fly fishing bible ?

Last edited by Randy Ratliff; 01-27-2012 at 10:59 AM..
Old 03-02-2006, 09:02 PM

Phil,

I have Ian's book and its a good book for basic Smoky knowlege. I have Don Kirks book as well. His is a little more entertaining but it is a little dated. He includes a little bit of history in his book including Horace Kephart. It is my understanding that Horace used to be a guide in the smokies way back when. I could be wrong, it's been years since I read his book. I'll bet that LRO has both books but here's a link so you can have a look. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/089...lance&n=283155

As far as good fishing holes go in the Smokies. I think the whole thing is one good fishin' hole. Get out there and write your own book, it will be more special to you personally .
Old 03-03-2006, 01:40 AM

I second (or third, or fourth) Ian Rutter's book. Lots of good information. I head out to that way every spring (live in the mountains of Northern California) to fish, and Ian's books have been all I needed.

See you kids in early May...

Tom Chandler

www.troutunderground.com
Old 03-03-2006, 12:06 PM

Phil, *The ABSOLUTE BEST primer for fly fishing anyway, including the Smokies, is The Curtis Creek Manifesto!!! *LRO usually has it in stock. *I's about 50 pages, all drawings and cartoons... but.. if its in the CCM - you must know it... if its not in the CCM - you don't need to know it!!. *It even has a 10 Commandments page which is perfection!!!
Old 03-03-2006, 12:13 PM

Phil, *need to make it clear - *this is the best "how to" book there is for Smokies fishing. *It will not give you any favorite spots in the Park - earlier post are good "where to" *books but a little redundant.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:12 PM

Hello Phil,

I recently purchased a copy of "The Fly Fisherman's Guide To The Great Smoky Mountain National Park". It is by H. Lea Lawrence. It gives lots of information on fly fishing in general and details some of the parks streams. I can't say it is the "bible" for the park but I enjoyed it. I purchased mine through Amazon.com and it is a used copy. I have no idea where it can be found.

Best wishes, gary <*))))><
Old 03-04-2006, 01:35 AM

I also have - "The Fly Fisherman's Guide To The Great Smoky Mountain National Park". It is by H. Lea Lawrence.

It has some great information in the back with the maps and hatch charts and tells you what flies to use during every month of the year.

I think I bought it in the park last fall at the sugarlands visitor center.
Old 03-04-2006, 03:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to phil4christ

Thanx guys, that's awesome, I'm sure I will be helped out a lot with these books added to my collection. I should be set with the know how, now all I got to do is practice and fish. I wish you guys the best this fishing season, hope you catch a whopper ! God bless, PHIL
Old 03-04-2006, 04:27 PM

Phil;

Scheez, forgot to mention that -- in addition to his book -- Ian Rutter's site also has a Smokies map available. I lost mine right at the start of my last trip so can't comment overmuch on it, but plan to get a new one as soon as I arrive this year.

Take care,
Tom Chandler