Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-27-2006, 09:50 AM

Default Removing Non Natives from the Park?!

I am from Georgia and look at the North Georgia Trout Online board on a regular basis. One post that has recieved a lot of attention has been concerning possible removal of all rainbow and brown trout from the park.

There has been a lot of talk about this and the topic was started by a gentleman from North Carolina. I was wondering if the folks at Little River Outfitters have heard any buzz on this topic. I just can't see how trying to make ALL the streams in the park go back to being just brook trout territory is a great idea. Can someone from up that way shed some light on this for me?

If you are interested, here is the link to the board I referred to. It is under the General Info section and is titled "National Park to Remove Non Natives". http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/ngto/

Thanks-
Hollis
Old 02-27-2006, 10:22 AM

Default Re: Removing Non Natives from the Park?!

Ain't going to happen....railroads and timber companies took care of this way back when....a lot of the water in the park will not support the brookies....no way to keep the other species from coming back in....I can remember even in my lifetime when there was a time when there were no brown trout to be found in the Park....now they are up in areas where I used to catch brookies....as I have posted before, the Park tried to fish out Tremont one year by requiring everyone to bring out all fish regardless of the size that were not brookies....did not even come close to working....all it did was to vastly improve the fishing for the next several years.....removal of the rainbows and browns would greatly reduce the fishery that now exists in the park....besides, this would require a large influx of money which we know will not ever be available....budget restraints shut down the stocking program that was once part of the Park's responsibilities to provide recreation...I firmly believe these non-native species are with us for the long haul.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:04 AM

Default Re: Removing Non Natives from the Park?!

I fully agree. So much water won't support brooks and allowing other fish to stay in lower elevation streams will allow them to migrate elsewhere.

Just doesn't make sense to want to remove some specie of fish that doesn't harm the ecosystem.
-Hollis