Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 03-01-2006, 08:28 PM

Default Delayed Harvest on Tellico

Has anyone fished the delayed harvest section on Tellico this year? Wondered if it was worth checking out before it goes away mid March.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:31 PM

Default Re: Delayed Harvest on Tellico

Yes. I've fished it quite a bit and have been very impressed with it. I believe TWRA is really getting the hang of the DH thing. I've found some really impressive fish, a lot of jim dandies, and a nice mix of wild trout in the bunch.

You have to fish accordingly to what the weather and bugs are doing but you can usually find them cooperative if you take your time and diagnos each run and fish it accordingly. Don't be afraid to nymph deep (6 - 8 ft or more in the heaviest water) and heavy. Typically, if your not fishing heavy nymphs with at least a half a twiston on your line.....well your just not getting down to them. With sun on the water and warmer air temps, you could encounter a nice hatch and the fish will move for the bugs if the hatch is right.

Definately worth a few visits....and if you miss it this year....plan to fish it next year.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:58 PM

Default Re: Delayed Harvest on Tellico

I fished the DH of the Tellico back in January with Middle Tennessee Fly Fishers and ended up with a few nice fish. *We managed to catch several rainbows, browns, and brookies up on the North. *I caught a nice brown while fishing waters that were in sunlight.

Eric aka Buster