Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 03-06-2006, 12:06 AM

Default Hiwassee March 5, 2006 pics

I'm on spring break finally and didn't have to do homework today, so with the good generation schedule predicted for the day, I decided to head down to the Hiwassee again. *I got a late start and didn't get on the water until about 1:00 pm. *However, as soon as I arrived, I saw lots of rising fish and realized that it would be another good day. *I tied a new stonefly dry pattern last night that I wanted to try so I tied it on with my usual Zebra midge dropper. *I was into fish within just a few minutes. *I worked my way up the river to a hole that I had not tried before and found lots of brown stones hatching. *Fish were rising fairly steadily to the bugs but I thought that they were taking emergers instead of adult dries so I cut off the midge and tied on a copper and partridge softhackle. *The fish readily approved by jumping all over the softhackle dropper. *Here are a couple of the fish that hit it.

Later in the day, I decided to run up near the powerhouse and see what was happening there. *I was nymphing in some pocketwater just below the powerhouse when this little guy hit
It was the only brown that I was able to catch today. *I stayed until well after a great sunset

and was absolutely tearing them up on the brown stone dry and a midge dropper. *If you go to fish the Hiwassee, don't leave too early. *There were only a few people around when I left but the best rise of the day was right around sunset to about 20 or 30 minutes after. *As I was fishing the last 20 minutes or so, an older gentleman pulled off by my car and got out to fish. *Since it was the best thing going, I invited him to just come on and fish the same hole. *He did and it made the evening even better. *We experienced multiple doubles as the fish were just going crazy. *Another average day size-wise with nothing exceptional to brag about, but overall it was another great day on a fun river.

David Knapp
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 03-07-2006, 12:19 PM

Default Re: Hiwassee March 5, 2006 pics

Glad you had a good day. That first pic is way cool!

Kyle
Old 03-07-2006, 06:04 PM

Those are some awesome pics of the Hiwassee! Great pictures of the trout too Did you get those colors and effects using photoshop or is your camera that high tech?

The Hiwassee produces some of he the best scenic photos I have ever seen. It is the prettiest tailwater around, and boy do we have some nice ones.

We floated the lower end from Gee Creek down to river on Sunday. Didn't get quite the photo's but fishing wasn't to bad.

Nice Post!

Petey 8-)
Old 03-07-2006, 07:19 PM

While I wish I could say that I have a great camera and awesome photography skills, I actually used a program called Picasa from Google to touch up the photos. You may be aware of it already but if not, check it out here http://picasa.google.com/ The program is free and you can do some great stuff with pictures. It eliminates the need to use a high dollar camera (for my purposes anyway) with filters, etc.
By the way, is the lower river smooth enough to float safely in a canoe? I have one but don't think I want to try to float the upper river and fish at the same time.

David
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 03-08-2006, 10:50 AM

The lower end can be fished from a canoe I would think. There is some deep slow water and some nice shoal lines. There are several places you can get out and wade the shoals. It is not nearly as rough as the upper section of the river.

It is about a 4 - 5 mile float from 411 to Patty's Bridge. You could put in at Gee Creek campground and make it a 6 mile float.

Thanks for the hook up on the photo editor.

Petey 8-)
Old 03-08-2006, 11:14 PM

just a FYI,

Hwy 411 ramp to Patty Bridge is 6.4 miles, and if you stop to fish much it is a full day trip. The lower 3 miles or so is comprised mostly of slow water and it generally has an upstream wind that will require constant oaring or paddling to get down river. Nevertheless, it can be a fun float and it is very scenic with the mountains in your window all day.