Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-02-2006, 11:33 AM

Default More Questions About Wading Abrams

Is there a good place down the Abrams Falls Trail to drop into the gorge below the Big Shoe so that I can fish my way back upstream? If so, what landmark should I look for?
Old 02-02-2006, 05:25 PM

Default Re: More Questions About Wading Abrams

Hello Canyon, I say this to you with my tongue in my cheek and a slightly raised eyebrow because of the way you posed the question. Do be sure that you have someone with you!!!!!!
Go down the trail until you cross the second hump (mountain). Continue down the other side until you come to the creek again. This is where you will get in the water to fish back to the upper side of the horseshoe. Be prepared to wade and fish for 8-9 hours. Be sure you have the essential safety things with you. Start early and have a good trip. Don't try this before April or MAY. YOU MAY NOT HAVE ENOUGH DAYLIGHT TO MAKE THE TRIP.
Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:39 PM

Have to concur with prior post. I have slid down the hill on my behind, but really do not recommend it. Started where the trail makes sharp right around contour line around and above a draw that is intermittent. Only tried this once, got there late, but did have a good long stretch to fish. Bottom is trecherous, as many slabs of rock are tipped at a steep angle in the stream. Is some slipperyness, but I found biggest problem irregular bottom that is very unforgiving. Do not be dissuaded: rainbows are there and like about everything.
HW3
Old 02-03-2006, 03:03 PM

I most definitely would NOT wade Abrams alone - just read my harrowing tale in the other Abrams thread here! Scary to have a big widowmaker tree fall into the gorge almost on top of you. I believe I know where Hugh means about accessing the creek after crossing the second ridge on the Abrams Falls Trail. This wade would definitely call for busting butt into the Cove when the gate opens, and hustling down the trail on a day with plenty of daylight. I may try it later this year, but it sounds tough. :-/
Camping in the Cove and travelling by mountain bike might allow a man to get a little earlier start on the trail I'm thinkin'.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:46 PM

Is this area yall are talking about the same as the Spring Creek section? We were hoping to fish the Spring Creek section over spring break but don't really know where it is.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:45 PM

This is not the spring creek section. The spring creek section is upstream from the Abram's Falls trailhead and on up into the cove. This section is not hard to get to but it is challenging nevertheless. When you park at the Abram's Falls parking lot, walk down to the bridge over the creek. If you follow the trail downstream, you will be following the section of stream that is more freestone in nature. If you go upstream, you will be fishing the spring creek section. Hope this helps...

David
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 02-13-2006, 10:43 AM

Yes that helps a lot, thank you
Old 03-26-2006, 10:59 AM

Hey guys, I'm new to the board and am getting very helpful information from the prior posts I've viewd. *Thank you! *I have a question regarding hiking from the Cades Cove loop down to the horseshoe. *I know the Loop is only open from sunrise to sunset, but does anyone know what happens if you don't make it back by sunset and your car is still at the trail head? *Also, does anyone know if there is any backcountry camping anywhere in that area so that I [my friend and I] could eliminate walking 5 miles in one day and maybe spread that across two days. *Thanks a lot for your help!
Old 03-26-2006, 01:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

nearest back country campsite is #17 down on Little Bottom Trail and it is a good 5 miles from the Trailhead and 2.5 from the falls.
Remember, to use back country campsites, you must register prior to use. This can be done at any Ranger station. Back county sites have a mostly level spot, fire ring, and bear wire.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:46 PM

Billy, I think that if you have a Back country permit and the Park Rangers are aware that you are on an extended trip, you can leave your car at the Abrams Falls Parking area, unless that has been changed. I don't recommend it for some ugly reasons. The closest backcountry campsites in walking range for Abrams use, are Rabbit Creek, #15 and Little Bottoms,#17. They are both several miles from the Big Horseshoe, but both are near some excellent fishing. I do recommend either of these sites. You need two or three days if you are going to fish out of them. Both will take you into some pretty isolated country. You need your best skills here. Good luck on your trip.
Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.