Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 03-19-2006, 12:33 AM

Default Dry Fly Floatant recommendations?

What's the best floatant to use on dry flies?

Old 03-19-2006, 03:06 PM

Default Re: Dry Fly Floatant recommendations?

I'm partial to "Frogs Fanny". Less than 5 bucks and works great on all size flies - especially with any CDC versions you might fish. The brush on the cap is great to work in the dry powder into your fly(might want to "squegee" the bulk of the water first) and will float like a cork.
Also if you fish subsurface emerger patterns, I like to get it dusted and add a split shot to the line...this will create air bubbles on the fly that will not only float it, but give it that gas encased look and the wieght will allow you to work from the bottom up, depending on where you you see the feeding goin on.

Waterborn
Old 03-20-2006, 09:42 PM

Thanks Waterborn! I've heard of "Frogs Fanny", but haven't used it yet. Do you know how it compares to the Shimazaki Dry Shake? I have a bottle of that I got late last season and used it briefly. It doesn't have a brush, just a large opening to dip the fly in while attached to the tippet.

I've also used a silcone paste - heavier than the usual floatants, and I've used a clear liquid. The paste seems to mat the hackle - probably from using too much, and the liquid doesn't seem to last more than a few casts.

I'll try some Frogs Fanny and see how that works...
Old 03-20-2006, 11:37 PM

I agree about Frog's Fanny. It is a very fine, flakey powdery substance, almost insubstantial as you brush it on, but it really floats or reconditions a fly. I used Shamizaki until Frog's Fanny came along and performed better for me.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:41 AM

So far all advice given is great, however, I'd like to emphasis the importance of first applying floatant before ever getting the fly wet as well as removing as much water from the fly each time you use your floatant.

A cotton t-shirt tail works well for this....but in today's high tech fishing world, more and more people are wearing synthetics which do not remover the water very well. I've grown to love the little amadou fly drying do hickies. No matter how drench or fish slimed the fly is, a quick squeeze or two will dry the fly out almost completely.

Once your fly is dried, I've found that a lot of the different types of floatants have their time and place. As mentioned, froggs fanny works wonders with cdc and emergers/nymphs. The powder shakes work well for a lot of bushy patterns, in fact it's almost a must for heavy water....(however, after a lot of use will eventually render the fly practically unfloatable). The shake floatants will also change the color of your fly a little bit which can be used as an advantage in certain situations....and it also comes in a dun color....the shimazake (sp) does anyway.Over all, for continuous application over the course of a day...I like the loon hi float or gink. Will float a good DRY dry fly a long time in rough water. Try experimenting with different types in different situations and you'll see where each is strong and or weak....but I persoanlly think you need to carry a little bit of it all.

Old 03-27-2006, 12:22 PM

The previous posts are all good. IMHO, what I've learned is that it's not so much the brand but what, when. I start with a paste prior to my fly getting wet, and only powder after that. My powder preference is anything with a brush. It seems to get the floatant in deeper, and any excess off better, than just a shake bottle. This has generally allowed me to use a fly as long as I wanted. Good luck.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:03 PM

I use floatants too but sometimes when I remember I soak them in RainX after I tie the flies. It helps them float. Anyone ever use this?

Jim
Old 05-17-2006, 07:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to MTN_TRT

I use "Froggs Fanny". I went on a guide last year and got introduced to it. Im ADDICTED to it! But I use paste to grease the leader.

MTN_TRT

PS: Hey Jim,
That RainX thing is neat. I might give that a try.

www.cameracoffeeadventurego.blogspot.com