Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 03-20-2006, 05:26 PM

Default Yellow Caddis

Do any of y'all use a yellow caddis when fishing the Smokies or surrounding waters? Or more apprpriately, what color caddis is/are most effective up there? Thanks.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:00 PM

Default Re: Yellow Caddis

Are you sure it is a Yellow Caddis, or a Yellow Sally Stonefly? A yellow bodied Elk hair caddis with or without the hackle would work. I type a light tan body on most of my EHC's. I tie some very small (18-16) stimulator type flies with a cream body hackle and a yellowish-ginger hackle for the thorax, to match the small Yellowish Stoneflies in late May and June.

Randy Sale
Old 03-20-2006, 07:53 PM

Well, I'm not sure. I can't seem to find a consistant pattern for a Yellow Sally Stonefly and I know there is a yellow Stimulator. I tie my EHC in olive, gray, black, and tan. I was just thinking that with yellow being such a predominant Smokies color, that one could tie the EHC in yellow. I am a fan of fishing a dry/dropper rig and figured that the EHC would be a good choice in the freestone streams. Is there a better choice? We plan on being up there in early May. Thanks. Oh, if you have a good pattern for that Yellow Sally that you're willing to share, it would be appreciated.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:17 PM

Ive got the Orvis tying guide version.
I would be happy to scan and e-mail it to you.
Works very well for me.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:00 PM

Yeah, that would be great. My e-mail is tpw3@sbcglobal.net Thanks.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:20 PM

The Yellow Elk Caddis is an excellent fly pattern in the Smokies. The trout probably think it's a Yellow Sally stonefly. But it works very well. Yellow is a good color to use when fishing here. Examples:
Yellar Hammar, Yellow Palmer, Yellow Humpy, Any Yellow Stonefly Pattern, Yellow Stimulator.

Byron
Old 03-24-2006, 12:39 PM

I have good luck with a Yellow Sally version with a Red butt. You can use a yellow floss body and palmer the hackle like an EHC or tie them like a henryville caddis with a bubbed body and the hackle in frnt of the wing. I use bleached Elk for the wing, and light/medium ginger hackle. I like to tie them on 2X long dry fly hooks in 14 or 16. 1X hooks will work fine too. You might also tie em like a stimmi on Tiemco 200 hooks but I would be sure to tie in a short tail of elk hair to aid in bouyancy. Bounce, drift and then twitch these bad boys when the naturals are ovipositing eggs!

AA
2Timothy2:15