Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-23-2006, 02:33 PM

Default TN vs NC fishing licenses

I was looking into getting my fishing license for my trip next month and I was shocked at the regulations and prices in Tennessee. After a little research it seems they are the most stringent and costly around. 13-15 year olds need a "Junior' license $9.00. Most states under 16 are exempt. An annual adult license, since hopefully more than one trip annually would be made to this wonderful destination, runs $81.00. I guess they don't get enough of my money in taxes from my visit. Here's the question. If I only fish in the park, which states you must have a valid TN or NC fishing license, why wouldn't I go for the NC annual license of $30.00 plus $10.00 trout fee? Looks like Tennessee needs to do a lot of work on their fees if they are hoping to draw non-resident fisherman to the state. Maybe I should stay and eat in NC too. :P Or just go to Arkansas.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:35 PM

Default Re: TN vs NC fishing licenses

Last edited by Randy Ratliff; 01-27-2012 at 10:59 AM..
Old 02-23-2006, 04:41 PM

Frankly, when lic. fees were increased recently, alot of out-of-staters were shocked. The doubled prices mean that I can't afford to buy a lic. for GA, NC and TN. You can fish the park with an NC lic. and IMHO NC's trout water is at least as good as anything in TN, save maybe the tailwaters. I understand the need to increase lic. fees, but sockin' it to out of state fisherman is going to make alot of people do just what you've thought about doing. I'm not sure if the decrease in out of state sales will be large enough to matter to TN, but honestly there's enough fishing water in NC( including the park on both sides) to last someone a lifetime. No offense to LRO or any TN resident or guide. This is a touchy subject for some, and I'm not trying to upset anyone....just giving my opinion on the cost of fishing in TN these days. *

ps - just as the person above me posted on this part( correct me if I'm wrong, cause I may be), but I don't think that the resident lic was doubled like the out of state lic. was - or was it?
At any rate, with GA nd NC's out of state lic. being around $40-50, TN just seems way high to me...but again, that's just my opinion and isn't meant to make anyone upset.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:39 PM

I didn't mean to stir anything up, it just seems like common sense. If you have more non-resident fisherman coming into your state to fish they are going to bring along with them their checkbooks, which in return will bring in more tax dollars. The last Federal records I could find were from 2000 which showed 35% off all fishing licenses in Arkansas were non-resident. In Florida it was 45%, and in Montana non-residents were 60% of the revenue. Tennessee had only 21%. If Tennessee wants to become a true destination for fishing they need to look a little bit further than the license office.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:57 PM

Send your local TWRA representative to this site. It shows the overall economic impact and the top 10 states. They could also do a little research on per capita spending and demographics. Get them to do a little homework. * I also found the 2003 licenses. Tennessee non-residents dropped to 18%. *:-/
Going South boys.

http://www.asafishing.org/asa/statis...act_top10.html

Old 02-23-2006, 08:40 PM

Last edited by Randy Ratliff; 01-27-2012 at 11:00 AM..
Old 02-23-2006, 08:56 PM

Can someone tell me if the National Park license is still available? Since I am a non-resident also and I currently only fish the park it seemed like the cheapest way to go. I believe a 3 day license was around $11.00 last year (2005).

Thanks, gary <*))))><
Old 02-23-2006, 09:42 PM

JF,
I agree that TWRA needs to get up to speed with there multi-day license offerings. *A good price structure for 1-10 day permits. *I'm only aware of the 3 day and it seems that it's $20.00. *I think 20-$30 would be a good price for a 10 day permit and do $10 for 3. *Also, they could be more cost effective towards people that have to buy multiple license for their family members. *And, I wish they would start going from the date of purchase rather than the current deal. *Personally, I am all for the annual license increase if TWRA is indeed getting all this money themselves. *I've fished a lot in NC, GA, and TN and it is my opinion that Tennessee has superior fishing vs. the other two states. *I aint just talking trout, either. *If any of you are just fishing the Park and not any of the other resources in the state then you are truly missing out on the value of your licenses.

As a guide, I would really like TWRA to look into the things I mentioned regarding the permits and a date of purchase annual license. *It would help my business. *I think Tennessee stands at number 9 in tourism and a lot of these people want to fish. *But, I fear a lot of people are looking at this like you are.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:38 PM

Not only has the fishing license increased, TWRA raised their non-res hunting license from $150-250 last year.
MR
Old 02-24-2006, 11:02 AM

RF,
10 day licenses would be a great addition. Most people when they come to fish, and or camp, are going to stay longer than 3 days, and this would enable them to go with a short term license, still be able to come back for 3 visits, and come out better. The other one I really don't get is the Junior license. 13-15 seems pretty young. I notice some states do start the adult licenses at 15, but 13 is way too young to start making a youngster pay. You may be discouraging many future fisherman at an age they really need to be involved. I know I'll just pay and shut up, but many won't.