Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 03-25-2006, 09:28 AM

Default Getting to know the Hiwassee

For the last couple of years I have been fishing the Tellico Plains area and made a few trips to the Hiwassee. However, I really want to concentrate on getting to know it better this year. I really want to know more about the generation schedules and how they affect my wade fishing and fishing from my pontoon boat. Is there any areas that I can go to that will allow me some solitude if I am willing to hike some? What about the John Muir trail? What times of the year are better than others for fishing. The time I went to fish there the water was high enough to keep me from venturing out very far at all. I have a healthy respect for moving water. Are there any publications that would help me learn more? What fly shop/guide would anyone recommend. I would like to float this river with a guide at least once or twice to learn more.

Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
- Henry David Thoreau
Old 03-25-2006, 11:08 AM

Default Re: Getting to know the Hiwassee

Michael Cox, aka "RockyRaccoon", is a highly experienced guide on the Hiwassee. In addition to being an expert guide, he's a lot of fun to float / fish with.

His e-mail address is tnrockyraccoon@comcast.net. You can book a trip with him by calling Cell: 865-388-9802 or the guide service on the Hiwassee 1-866-55 Trout.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:35 PM

www.hiwassee.net Don Denney's site.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:47 AM

Don Denney has a great site at: www.hiwassee.net. *It has everything you need, maps, photos, stream reports, generation schedules and how to interpret them, flies, etc.

There's also an associated newsgroup that's full of helpful, active members at: http://www.arborwood.com/awforums/sh...id=2491&taid=1

You can practically have the river to yourself if you fish the trophy section Monday through Thursday.

Good luck,

Jack