Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-11-2006, 08:00 AM

Default Motel, Hotel, Holiday Inn....

Hey guys! I'm FINALLY getting to get up there this weekend, but just for one night .
Anyway, I know there was a thread on the best cabins, and I looked into the ones that were recommended, but they have a 2 night min, and I just can't make it up there on Fri night all the way from Atl.
So, I see there are several motel/hotels in Townsend - any I should avoid? Any that you guys (anywhere) recommend? I'd love to stay at that maple leaf lodge place, but for this weekend just a regular hotel room will have to do.....

so, anyone know which local hotel in townsend I should go with?
thanks alot
owl
Old 04-11-2006, 11:12 AM

Default Re: Motel, Hotel, Holiday Inn....

Howdy Owl,

We, my family and I have stayed several times at the Valley View Best Western. The rooms are always clean and comfortable and prices are usually among the lowest. I also stayed for a couple of days at the Talley Ho Inn. The rooms there were nice and clean and price for that stay was very reeasonble as well. Both places seem to have a variety of rooms as I recall, some even with hot tubs and prices vary accordingly.

Mike
"Fly-fishing has many attributes, but none more pleasing than it's ability to liberate the young boy that still hides within me and to let that boy live again without embarrassment or regret, sorrow or anguish." Harry Middleton
Old 04-12-2006, 01:05 PM

Thanks everyone. My wife has come up with an allergy related sinus infection( TMI I know, I know ) so it looks like I'll be staying at home this weekend. BUT, I will def. use the info for a later date, hopefully within the next couple of weeks!
Old 04-12-2006, 02:56 PM

I come down four or five time a year and have stayed most recently in the Highland Inn 865-448-2211. The folks there are great, rooms are clean and the balconys are perfect for drying your gear. The Tally Ho is also a great place for the same reasons. Sorry I dont have that number handy. Rates at both places are very good also. Try to avoid Pegion Forge and Gatlinburg. Hotels tend to be much pricier and in Pegion Forge, along the strip, they are not very clean. When you stay in Townsend you will understnd right away why they call it the peaceful side of the Smokies. After a full day of fishing there is nothing better then the peace and quite you'll find in Townsend. The noise and congestion at the other end of Wear Valley is shocking after being in the Park all day. Being familar with the area for over 30 years know I'm still amazed at how the folks on the Townsend side have be able to control the development in such an enviormentaly frendly way. My constant nighmare is that one day we will have a Pegion Forge II Running down both sides of LAPwky.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:07 PM

I can add an endorsement to the Tally Ho. Were there last fall when the hurricane spoiled the usual
trip into Hazel Creek, and we fished LR and Abrams a day each. So much nicer to come into a hotel
when you are soaked to the skin, rather than try to get dry under a tarp and face cooking, campfire,
telling lies, whiskey and cigars and another day of fishing in the rain tomorrow! Patio is great for the whiskey/cigars, and having a place to dry out wet stuff is priceless. Some good restaurants in the area, but I noted no four star types, not that it is that important when in pursuit of the wiley trout.
T.H. people were great, and as I recall, gave us a discount after a full-court grovel. Enjoy, hope to get there soon. Watson
Old 04-12-2006, 07:08 PM

"Hotel, Motel, Holiday Inn" Whats the name of that song?

Docks is a good inexpensive hotel thats on the river. Its just past 321, on the left of course. They have little cabin like things, too.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:28 PM

RFowler,

What are the cabins like at Dock's. Are they really cabins or just some type of motel room?
Old 04-13-2006, 12:17 PM

Duggie, they are like little one/two room cabins. They are separate (detached) from the hotel. They have a few on the river bank. Not sure what their rates are but I paid $30 for a spotless room in their hotel back in January. The rooms are small compared to other hotels but they are perfect for sportsmen that aren't in their rooms much anyway. Not sure about the cabins but according to this link some will sleep 10 people. http://www.docksmotel.com/ Click on the swimming pool link to see what they have.

Old 04-13-2006, 09:41 PM

RFowler,

Thanks for that info, will check them out when I am down that way
Old 04-14-2006, 09:53 PM

We spent one night at Docks a couple of years ago and my son caught a couple of nice small mouths right behind the motel