Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-12-2006, 09:28 AM

Default What the heck is a Yellow Sally?

This may spark some controversy but here goes anyway. I fish in the GSMNP several times a year and hear and read quite a bit about "Yellow Sallies" but I have never used one myself. I am interested in tying this pattern but can't find a definitive pattern. When I went on the web to find a recipe there were many variations, some not even closely resembling the others. My Umpqua Feather Merchants book of 1,500 flies does not even list one as such but they do include a pattern that closely resembles one I found on line. I ralize that patterns vary throughout the country so what I am asking is this. Can one of the fine members of this board give me an idea on what seems to work best in GSMNP streams?

Thanks for any help, gary <*))))><
Old 04-12-2006, 10:23 AM

Default Re: What the heck is a Yellow Sally?

geerona,
This link shows the bug; http://www.worleybuggerflyco.com/ins...stoneflies.htm

This link is a good pattern that I use in the Smokys a lot; http://www.oldsmoky.com/YelSally.htm

Another good pattern is to tie a yellow bodied EHC, but don't palmer the hackle down the whole body. Also, this time of year they are laying eggs so ty a bright red butt on the end of the fly to simulate the egg. Hope this helps.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:44 AM

LRO sells a great pattern that is similar to the fly posted in the second link by russ, except their pattern uses yellow poly yarn for the wing. For that matter, you can use the poly yarn for the body also. Don't overlook small yellow Stimulators also.

David Knapp
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 04-12-2006, 12:26 PM

Russ,

You have certainly cleared up one question I had after yesterday. The red butt was one of the things I could not figure out since not all patterns had it on them. This now makes sense and I thought the pattern resembled an EHC also. The second link really gives me something to go on now. I truly do appreciate the response. This board is a great way for people to help one another! I told my wife last night that I need to learn more about insects and it shows.

Best Wishes, gary <*))))><

Old 04-12-2006, 12:37 PM

David,

As you pointed out the second link Russ gave me is a real help. Funny that I looked at my yellow stimulators last night and thought the same thing. One pattern I saw yesterday looked like a poly yarn body and nothing but light hackle palmered the entire length. Some had long black tails which may be good someplace but I have no clue where. I know there are lots of guys that tie their own variation on about everything and no doubt have some success.

I am an amatuer at best so I need all the help I can get. Thanks for the response also, I need the advice.

Best Regards, gary <*))))><
Old 04-12-2006, 01:09 PM

A Yellow Sally is what a lot of people call the small yellow stonefly that hatches during the summer here in the Smokies. *You can see some large hatches in the early evenings. *They hatch for months. *I use a Yellow Stimulator #16 or a Yellow Caddis #16. *

Byron
Old 04-12-2006, 01:47 PM

geerona,
When you tie this bug, don't tie it with the hackles cut off on the front like a bunch of patterns show. That fly will not float very well in the turbulent waters of the Smokys. I agree with Byron and David that a yellow stimulater works very well also. Plus, early in the hatch i use the rud butt flies and then later on in the year i quit using them and only use stimulators, EHC or yellow sallys with no red butt. Look up the pattern for a Henry Fork Yellow Salley and see if it isn't really close to the other ones, better yet, go to LRO and pick up some instead of tying them. Then you can imitate their flies when you ty yours.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:35 PM

Byron and Russ,

Since I have EHC in yellow already tied and a few yellow stimulators it seems to make the most sense to wait until I get back down to LRO from here in Indiana. I can purchase a few for the time I am there and pick up what materials I need. It will give me good reason to tie them up to justify another trip to the Smokies. When I was searching yesterday I did notice one pattern with the hackle cut off the bottom of the fly. I need all the floatation help I can get in those streams and I like the very visible wing.

We were down fishing 2 weeks ago and I check the fishing report every day. Now I am ready to make the drive back for a few days again. Once I get Pigeon Forge in the rear view mirror it is one of the most relaxing places I have ever been. My wife spends her time in PF and I get to go to the river. I guess her loss is my gain.

gary <*))))><
Old 04-12-2006, 04:22 PM

A Parachute Adams tied with yellow dubbing also works good.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:15 PM

A Yellow Stimulator in sizes from a 10 to a 14 will do in the smokies 80% of the time between now and October. Boring yes but effective. Ask anyone that knows me, I seldom change fly during these months, except when one is tore up and then I replace it with the same pattern.