Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 04-17-2006, 04:04 PM

Default Clinch River

Coming down to the Park next week and would like to spend a day on the Clinch on the way down. Last Spring the water was up and the turbines were running full so it was not an option. Was wondering how the river level has been and if wading has been an option this spring.

Also am I right in my understanding that access at the 61 bridge is pretty much non-existent at this time and that there is no wading access at PO? What about Massengail Bridge for wading? Otherwise are we pretty much looking at Millers, Songbird and the boat launch in between?

Thanks
Old 04-17-2006, 04:35 PM

Default Re: Clinch River

Peach orchard is best by boat, or drift down to the first set of shoals and wade there...sometimes you can catch some risers on the edge of the boat ramp from shore, but its best to hit Millers or around the wier dam.

I was out there this past week and heard the word was that fishing was tough... its definately slower that day than should have been with spring on and sulphurs around the corner...I did manage some average fish, but had to work for em. Strange enough, though I pumped a few stomach and they had quite a few sulphur nymphs, I wasn't catching fish off that nymph pattern, but the ol standby of balckfly larvae I had dropped off below...

A side note, one cannot help but notice the new growth of algae or what ever that stuff that has taken over the whole stream bed around Millers...a light tan growth that is thick and covers everything with a wool like texture. Last time I saw this water it was green and dark, now its an odd shade of brown. Hope this is not a cause and effect of the fishing....I turned over seveal rocks and did not see the quanity of scuds and blackfly larvae as used to be everpresent there... anyone with some insight

Waterborn
Old 04-18-2006, 10:15 PM

I too would like some insight on this algae type substance. I was there this past Easter Sunday and the stream bed was choked with it. It did not seem to hinder production, unless you count the time I was having to take picking this stuff off my flies every few casts :-? I personally don't recall seeing this stuff before.[timestamp=1145412885]

onthefly

Last edited by onthefly; 02-11-2008 at 03:11 PM..
Old 04-19-2006, 06:41 PM

I was on the Clinch a couple of times in the last couple of weeks, but I am a rookie, so you can't base much on my lack of success. But I can say that Massingill bridge is wadable, and I caught a few small fish in that area in the afternoon. Millers island access, of course, is also easily wadable.

They have been running one generator for an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening for several weeks. The lower end, near Hwy 61, was really muddy after the storms a week ago, but it was all runoff. I can't speak to the fishing in that area, although I haven't seen fishermen as I drove past.

Good luck and be careful.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:52 PM

Thanks for all the info. I will be in the Clinton area on Sun/Mon on my way to Townsend. Wish me luck.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:17 PM

Quote:
A side note, one cannot help but notice the new growth of algae or what ever that stuff that has taken over the whole stream bed around Millers...a light tan growth that is thick and covers everything with a wool like texture. *Last time I saw this water it was green and dark, now its an odd shade of brown. *Hope this is not a cause and effect of the fishing....I turned over seveal rocks and did not see the quanity of scuds and blackfly larvae as used to be everpresent there... anyone with some insight

Waterborn
I was up there today, and it looks like the tan stuff is just dead moss that is decaying. *Whereever there was a big clump of the tan, there was new moss growing. *It may be more spread out from breaking lose and lodging on rocks. *This is just a guess from my observation... I didn't do any DNA testing or anything. *
Old 04-28-2006, 10:53 PM

Actually, I did find out that it is and invasive algae known as Didymosphnia Geminata that is becoming a problem in New Zealand and EPA is tracking any potential "outbreaks" .
I'm no expert, but it was confirmed from emails to EPA and other local water authorities - right now they are saying there's not much to do about it, and that it is not posing any serious risk - which the main issue is this stuff smothering out bug life...
There is also some in the South Holson and Watauga...there is no physical threat to people other than possible minor irritation to swimmers getting some into eyes...
I guess the best thing to do is just be mindful of this "rock snot" as its known and take care to clean of wading boots with a mild bleach solution and let everything dry well before hopping into a different stream....