Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-18-2006, 02:33 PM

Default bear attacks

The folks at Yellowstone Nat Park say that in case you are attacked by a bear--take no action--do not run--fall to the ground--get in fetal position and hope for the best.The folks at SMNP say the opposite,that is,fight the bear,stay on the offensive until bear leaves.My question is this---what do you do if you are attacked by a bear(you have no bear spray) wheather it be in Yellowstone,the Smokies or in Fayette Mall.Does your reaction to a bear attack,depend on the type of bear attacking you?Have any of you felt like you were close to being attacked by a bear?What did you do?I have fished the Smokies for 34 years and have only run across bear on about 6 occasions I can think of--Neither I or the bear felt at risk.Since the little girl was killed by a bear at Cherokee and having recently seen a bizarre movie called --Grizzley Man--I once again ponder mans behavior when visiting the bear's natural domain.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:26 PM

Default Re: bear attacks

It is my understanding that what you do depends on the type Bear.
With Black Bears you try to look as big as possible and and make lots
noise, throw rocks etc. That is if you are attacked. Don't run, it triggers
the natural instinct to pursue. With the Grizzly Bear they say to play dead.
Again they say don't run try to back out.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:34 PM

If you are attacked by a black bear you will want to fight. If a grizzly attacks you you will want to crawl up into a ball and start praying . Fighting a grizzly is a losing battle, but you are almost as big as a black bear around here. Though my money will be on the black bear winning
Old 04-18-2006, 10:37 PM

Grizzly usually have just a territorial- dominance issuse. If you act submissive, then it views you as not being a threat. Blacks normally don't threaten humans, so if one does act aggressive YOU HAVE A PROBLEM.

As a friend of mine who guides on the outskirts of Yellowstone says: When they attack you, Grizzlies want to make sure you are having a BAD DAY also. Play dead and don't let them roll you over exposing your vital organs. Keep your backpack, etc on to help protect you. *Black bears just want to eat you, they will not leave until they decide your not worth the effort. *Young males will also be aggressive after leaving Momma and trying to set up territory. If I remember correctly, there has been several Black Bear Human attacks in Canada resulted from these young males.

In response to lauxier, I've read a post on the "old" Southernflyfishingforum Bulletin board of a Smokies fishermen being harassed by a bear high above Elkmont. Just would not leave him alone. Rangers came in and trapped him.

I've fished the park about the same amount of time and only had two"negative type (??) encounters. One I walked upon a Sow and two cubs walking out from West prong of Pigeon along New Found Gap road. I saw the cubs as I came around the corner, Momma stood up and snorted, I retreated. -No problem-,I saw a tourist who said they had been harassed along the road earlier.

I was fishing with my son one August,( He has lead backpacking trips for several summers for Tremont Institute and is an expert on the Backcountry in the Smokies.) He was fishing about about 100 upstream of me and watched a young male beeline down the hillside directly toward me. I saw him waving and pointing before I saw the bear sitting on the other bank. He just paced back and forth. My son came downstream, and we yelled threw some rocks near him before he left. I, always, carry my gear in a day pack and run it and lunch up a tree to keep mice, etc out so I didn't have any food on me. We are thinking that some hikers had been feeding him. Even then, I didn't feel threatened.

Later that summer or the next, the Tremont road had been closed as a bear had aggressively followed a jogger and wouldn't leave.

I'm afraid we underestimate the abilities of the "cute cuddlie" Black Bear to do us harm. A BLACK BEAR HAS THE PHYSICAL ABILITY TO KILL YOU JUST AS EASILY AS A GRIZZLY. As I've posted before- Grizzly are predominately wild, and act wild. There are very few Black Bears that are wild anymore. A Bear's behavior today could be the result of some experience with a human earlier. You are dealing with two different types of animals, they both deserve repect. Even though I am sure I would never need it, I carry Bear Spray I have left over from my trips to WYO with me. Better safe than sorry. *
Old 04-19-2006, 01:29 PM

Quote:
It is my understanding that what you do depends on the type Bear.
With Black Bears you try to look as big as possible and and make lots
noise, throw rocks etc. That is if you are attacked. Don't run, it triggers
the natural instinct to pursue. With the Grizzly Bear they say to play dead.
Again they say don't run try to back out.
well I've met Ole' Griz twice, and it's just not fun! Never ever make eye contact with the bear. Never try to run, and the fetal position may be your best bet. I always carry a couple cans of pepper spray (make sure it's oil based). With black bears you act just the oposite. Be aggressive, and make a lot of noise. Wave your arms. Myself I worry more about wild boars than the bears.
I've always wondered if pepper spray will work on a black bear; anybody know?
gary
Old 04-20-2006, 10:38 AM

They just had a show about this on discovery channel the other night. The big cans of pepper spray definitely aggrevated the bear into leaving.

Don't drop your pack and run!!! The pack on your back could save you from being torn to shreds. The myth has been the bear will be more interested in the pack when you drop and run. NEGATIVE!! If the bear gets a hold of you laying face down the pack can absorb some of the attack.

The fight or flight choice definitely depends on the bear, and most attacks come from suprising a bear. So when walking through the woods make noise most bears will move on when they hear humans.

This is one of the most important facts that I got, if you encounter a bear at night!! FIGHT!!! Does not matter which kind they are out feeding and you look good for dinner. All you can do is fight!!

Carry the big bottles of pepper spray!!