Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 04-24-2006, 09:47 AM

Default Re: Wading Boots

Weinbrenners are not widely distributed. I know of one dealer in the Knoxville are but I won't give it out due to respect to the board sponsor. I have asked Byron about this and he is looking in to it. They can be ordered on their website also if you can't find them at a store. Do a google. Hopefully Byron is going to carry them. They are simply the best and made in the good old U.S.A.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:05 AM

Hey Guys, I called Weinbrenner a month or so ago and asked for a dealer package.
I never got it. *I called again today and was assured I would get one by Friday.
They are a huge shoe company and fly fishing is a tiny part of what they do.
Also, they don't have a sales rep in our area. *All I know is from my past conversations
with them that they are nice people. *That's all I know. *I'll keep trying. *

Byron
Old 04-24-2006, 07:32 PM

I realize that I am a bit late on this thread, but wanted to mention Korkers Outfitters. They have convertible soles so if the soles wear out all you have to do is buy a new set and change them out. They also are very comfortable and well made IMHO. I bought them for the ability to change from a wading type sole to a hiking type sole. I figured it would be great for being able to hike into some of those blue liners without wearing out or messing up the felt.

One last point about Korkers is that they tend to run a size smaller than most boots or shoes. In other words if you wear a size nine street shoe, you'd need a sixe ten in the Korkers. I suggest that you purchase them in a shop where you will be able to try them on. I am not sure of LRO sells them

Mike
"Fly-fishing has many attributes, but none more pleasing than it's ability to liberate the young boy that still hides within me and to let that boy live again without embarrassment or regret, sorrow or anguish." Harry Middleton
Old 04-24-2006, 11:07 PM

Thanks again for all the replies! I have a question about the Korkers pmike. How long does it take for the soles to wear out on those convertibles? Are replacement soles relatively cheap (as compared to new boots)? I saw these boots when I was doing some online research and they looked really great for all the reasons you mentioned.

David Knapp
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 04-25-2006, 12:35 PM

Howdy PA,

Mine are relatively new, only used them for one trip so far and they really don't show any wear yet. The soles appear to be very durable and cost is $20.00 or $30.00 dollars.

One factor on the plus side concerning wear is that the felt wil last much longer if you use the rubber hiking soles for hiking in to streams. In other words rather than hiking several mile on felt, you can use their hiking soles ans swap them out for felt at streamside. No I also realize some folks will wear a different pair of shoes or boots for hiking then switch to their wading boots at streamside, but thm you have an extra pair of shoes or boots to hide or carry around.

Yet another thought is that you can use the felt soles with lugs for extremely slick areas and exchange the studded felt for plain felt for driftboat fishing so the lugs won't mess up the boat.
Mike

"Fly-fishing has many attributes, but none more pleasing than it's ability to liberate the young boy that still hides within me and to let that boy live again without embarrassment or regret, sorrow or anguish." Harry Middleton
Old 04-25-2006, 04:42 PM

Have to second the Korkers - I just got a pair last month and they are a working out nicely...very comfortable and great ankle support. I've been using Chota's STL for the last few years and while they are amazingly comfortable, the ankle support could stand some reinforcement, but the real issue is that I had them tore up the first six months I had them. Daniel helped me out with a replacement pair - but the new pair didn't last much longer after that so I decided to wear them into the ground to when I couldn't stand it any more (gotta get my moneys worth) and finally broke down and grabbed the Korkers. The selling point for me these is that the soles are easy to replace. The metal D-ring loops for the laces adds durablility, and with getting the different sole options - I have different shoes with out the cost.
We'll see how long these lasts!

Old 05-09-2006, 02:11 PM

I have had korkers for three years now. I haven't worn out the sole yet. I did have a pair of felt ones fall apart on the White River, but I called the factory and they sent me a new pair free. I love mine. You can't ask for better boots. I bought these for $60 at a fly fishing festival. The new ones are $79 and $139 now. I don't think you will go wrong with them.

Jim
Old 06-16-2006, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Hey Guys, I called Weinbrenner a month or so ago and asked for a dealer package.
I never got it. *I called again today and was assured I would get one by Friday.
They are a huge shoe company and fly fishing is a tiny part of what they do.
Also, they don't have a sales rep in our area. *All I know is from my past conversations
with them that they are nice people. *That's all I know. *I'll keep trying. *

Byron
well Bryon, I'm waitting to see if your gonna sell them. If you do I'll be wanting a pair of size nines next time I'm down your way! I can get them in Montana, but at least want to be able to try them on just to see if the size is right. In the meantime I'm still wearing that pair of Danners (finally got them broken in), and they are about as comfortable as any I've worn (but heavy). I might add that the taller boot really helps my ankles.
gary
Old 06-20-2006, 08:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to MTN_TRT

I have to say I am a little disturbed that only ONE of yall recommended Simms... . But thats alright - different boots for different people. I like Simms... the only problem ive had outta my simms boots is that i broke a lace last year. PA, you mentioned that you're in college and price is a factor but the freestone are about as good a price that ive found on a boot of that quality. hey- thats just my 2cents. these guys know companies i have never even heard of...trust them

MTN_TRT

"LIFE IS GOOD"

www.cameracoffeeadventurego.blogspot.com
Old 06-21-2006, 08:25 AM

MTN_TRT

I too wear only Simms boots. The reason I prefer them is their weight but also the higher shank on the ankles. Anybody who has had to scale the rocks to get down to the right fishing pool can understand that. You are correct, for the money, the Simms are great boots but you should also think ahead and buy a couple of exta pairs of laces.