Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-07-2006, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Snakes

I think a lot of people are like some friends of mine that operate on the idea that if it isn't dead it's a copperhead.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:55 PM

a copperhead has a distinctive look--the head id kind of triangular--the body is thick relative to length--a fewyears ago,i bought a overgrown farm--part of an open field was used as a dump--there were old stoves,refrigerators etc everywhere--withv help of a bulldozier we cleaned it up--thedump was home to several copperheads--we killed several--i think,they are distinctive enough to recognize--I saw a copperhead while fishing Tremont once--I was a little selfish feeling that day,so I did not stop to spend quality time with it.Is it illegal to kill a poisinous snake in the park?If you a re caught killing a snake in the park,can you be fined?
Old 06-07-2006, 05:36 PM

lauxier, FYI, not only is it illegal to kill a poisonous snake in the park, from my understanding, it's also illegal to kill a poisonous snake in the state of Tennessee. I think that applies to all native snakes in Tennessee.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:41 PM

For more information on snakes in Tennessee go to http://frogsandsnakes.homestead.com/snakes.html

They list all the native snakes of Tennessee and include good pictures of what each looks like.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:24 PM

Quote:
I think a lot of people are like some friends of mine that operate on the idea that if it isn't dead it's a copperhead.
I just assume they are all cobras until proven otherwise.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:19 AM

Kingstonian:

You said it brother. Contrary to popular opinion, there has also been a few rare instances of the eastern diamond back rattlesnake found in SE Kentucky. These were confirmed by US Forestry personnel within the Daniel Boone National Forest. I don't stand around long enough to see what kind they are or ask their name, I just avoid them like the plague.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:39 AM

The other day i was fishing in tremont and was trying to land a 38" brook trout when low an behold a bear came right up to me. *This thing was huge! *It must have stood 10' at the shoulder. * *As i turned to run away i saw a 25' rattle snake that quickly bit the bear and killled him and then proceeded to eat the bear. *After i landed and released the 40" brook trout, it swam right up to the snake and whooped it with it's tail fins. *Then the 46" brook trout turned to me and said, "I kicked that snake's butt because you are such a good fisherman and because you released me." *This made my day and i continued to fish up the stream with no further problems.

The moral of this story is to leave the snakes alone and they wont bother you!
Old 06-08-2006, 12:58 PM

Great story:

Tell me again where you hooked the 38". oops 40", oops 46" brookie?

Kodak
Old 06-08-2006, 03:37 PM

Kidak,
It is a magical place that i had to promise three tree sprites that i wouldn't tell. You can only find it if you have been there.
Old 06-08-2006, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Kingstonian:

You said it brother. *Contrary to popular opinion, there has also been a few rare instances of the eastern diamond back rattlesnake found in SE Kentucky. *These were confirmed by US Forestry personnel within the Daniel Boone National Forest. *I don't stand around long enough to see what kind they are or ask their name, I just avoid them like the plague.
that would be suprising to say the least since they are a coastal range snake extending from nc down to FL and back along the coast. i guess anything is possible but seems unlikely

snakes (and other biting critters) mis- identification is common...by "experts" as well as amatuers. for instance the south florida poison center once reported very high numbers of brown recluse spider bites ...despite the fact the brown recluse habitat does not extend into in their service area!!!!!!

the poster who said that there are many misidentifications is quite correct. many large non-venomous species can be aggressive and that makes people mistake them for venomous ones.

i have only seen a few wild rattlers in the wild that i was sure was a rattler...i once ran over one on my montain bike and killed it. the other i saw of all places on the natchez trace parkway in middle tn sprawled accross the road. i saw a few working construction during college in the mountains of nc. but that was only when we were grading/bulldozing scrubland. i think i saw one afew years back in the park but neither of us stuck around long enought to find out

my only wildlife encounters with copperheads has also been biking...and that was only after some duke power crews bulldozed a den of them and we were riding in the same area. we were quite suprised when we saw a writhing mass of upset snakes on the side of the trail