Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-27-2006, 11:28 AM

Default Re: Is it just me

For the most part I ignore the idiots like our cannonball boys. For those that stop to ask how the fishing is going I am polite and converse with them even if it is for way too long(anything over 5 minutes is too long). As for the young boy and his father I would have probably talked to them more hoping that maybe the young man would someday come to enjoy the sport.

I like the idea of a license for tubing and lawn chair sitting . For us out of staters it is $80+ now to enjoy the opportunity to try and outsmart a small brained, aquatic vertebrate, using very expense equipment, tossing out life-like imitation of bugs that someone spends painstaking time to create, hoping one fish out of thousands on that particular day on the particular stretch of water might be interested in one of the many we have at our disposal, and exerting way too much patience and brain power doing all this only to throw him back if we are lucky enough to bring him to hand(For the record I don't even like fish very much and seldom eat it. I have consider hunting but there is no catch and release with quail and pheasant so I stick to trap and skeet.). If you tried to explain what we do down here and on other small streams across the nation to someone from another planet they would probably deduce that there is no intelligent life on earth.

My best story is when my wife and I were fishing the South Toe over by Mt Mitchell back in 1998. We both looked like something out of an Orvis FF catalogue casting drys and nymphs and catching nothing. Then a local pulled up, got out of his truck with his two kids, took out a can of corn(no lie), put a kernel on a hook on the end of a cane pole(not a bamboo rod a cane pole) and gave it to his daughter, she was all of 10, who proceeded to catch one big rainbow after another(I believe she ended up with 5). After watching for awhile we engaged him in converation about his methods. He told us that the fish in the South Toe were all hatchery fish and didn't know beans about flies, but that the corn looked like the pellets they were fed at the hatchery and that is why they went for them. His continued success only reinforced his story. We by the way caught nothing with our expensive gear even though you could see nice size 'Bows" swimming in the river. After that we decided that if we ever fished there again we would buy yellow egg pattern flies(though I guess we could just buy corn).

All that said I enjoy every minute I am on the water, every minute I am at the local fly shop talking about what particular pattern is working on what particular stretch of water, every minute I spend getting in and out of my waders, putting on my vest, tying on the fly du jour etc. In fact I don't even mind a little intelligent conversation on the water from time to time. I only get to do this once a year here and once a year in Michigan so I cherish my time spent on the water. I consider it special.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:34 PM

I certainly didn't want my first post to be about this. *But, I just couldn't keep my mouth shut (fingers still). *Maybe, the tubers and lawn chair sitters outnumber fly fisherman, and we're interfering with their activities. *The park was created as a multi-purpose vacation spot. *Public land is for the use of the public and I don't want someone telling me what I can and cannot do on it, within reason. *I fish and hunt almost exclusivelly on public land. *Not that I don't have access to good private land. *I just choose to hunt and fish on the public land because it is there for my use. *When people quit using it, they will parcel it up, and sell it. *People that do not fish, don't always know what is considerate and what is not, just smile at them and move on.

Maybe I've spent too much time in a bassboat this spring,
however, that's my 2 cents worth wether you wanted to hear it or not.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:37 AM

Buzz saw,

You've obviously never had a jet skier get tangled-up in your Carolina rig . Also, your post may not have been aimed directly at mine, but my fingers went ahead and returned fire, anyway, just for the purpose of healthy debate

I say these horrible things "tongue n' cheek," of course, and understand that the park should be enjoyed by all walks of humanity...
  • I wrote that into my previous posting to emphasize humor .
  • "National Park Status" means no one will ever "parcel it up" ever, for any reason; "National Forest status" denotes less regulations.
  • Unfortunately, Over the last 230 years or so, a great number of state, local and federal officials have already outlined (in detail) what you can and cannot do on public and private land.
  • Perhaps motorists out-number bicyclist, and the bicyclist are infringing on the motorist's activities.
  • Much of the the GSMNP is categorized as a Rain Forest and was created as a Nature Preserve.
    :-?
  • At least 98.5% of the population has a basic understanding of fishing; its the word, "considerate" they have trouble with.
  • Yes, this is what I do with my Friday nights

Fish on!
Old 05-01-2006, 09:46 AM

rainshaker,

Thanks, for the reply. You were correct that my first post wasn't directed at you. You were also correct that I have never had a jet skier get tangle up in my line. However, I've had my marker bouys stolen by jet skiers, twice, on 2 different lakes. I have no idea what jet skiers would want with them. I'm glad you did the research that I was unwilling to do on my first post. What got to me was the fact that about everyone that posted was complaining about the activities that I have done and probably will continue to do.

Yes, I have:

* tubed in the park

* sat in a chair, in the river, drinking refreshments, listening to Jimmie Buffet, in the park

* jumped off a bridge into the river, in the park

I guess the first step to any addiction is admitting that you have a problem.

To be honest with you, these are the reasons I go to the park anymore. The place is just too darn crowded. If I want to get away from it all and do some solitary fishing, I go to Cherokee (not the stocked sections, unless I'm looking for dinner). I'm sure there are trout at some of the places I've fished that have never seen a fly. The only time I fish in the park is when my girlfriend wants to fly fish in the evening after work.

I guess what irked me with the start of this discussion is that there are 700+ miles of streams in the Park. If each miles has approximately 50 fishable pools. That is 35,000+ places for a person to fish. There are approximately 5 bridges in the park with water deep enough to jump into. That meens that for every 1 bridge worth jumping off, there are 7,000 places for a person to fish. Maybe we should be more considerate to the others using the Park. * NOTE, There was no research to any of the numbers used in this paragraph, they are an estimate off the top of my head, however I consider them to be conservative.

I know that bridge jumping is illegal in the park, but so is speeding, and I haven't seen anyone complain about that on this board. Maybe I will after I post this.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:27 PM

Hey fellas,

I've led him out into the open; now let him have it....a confessed Tuber/ Lawn-chair sitter

But seriously folks, I can admit my gripes are of selfish nature; it seems everyone fights over the easiest road-accesible waters; especially during the summer months. I agree with the earlier post that concluded, we just have to "laugh it off" at times.

My "laugh it off" moment came when my wife and I rented a cabin on the Little River, one summer, I tried several mornings to be the first one on the water; thinking if I just got up-early enough, I could get in at least an hour maybe even 2 hours of fishing. After my first attempt I should have stopped trying, but each morning, around 7:00 am (usually by my 7th cast), I'd spy a flourescent orange floater-craft headed in my direction with the occupant always saying something like: " Caught anything yet? Man, I saw some big ones back up there by that rock..."

That guy (and his friends) actually thought they were helping me with a valuable, first-hand fishing report; which I kindly thanked them for, then asked if he'd seen the nest of Copperheads down stream. Kidding... since that trip (long-ago) I've learned to seek out some of the other 700 miles of fishable water and to fish the vehicle-accessible portions of the Little River only when the water is cold; As someone mentioned, summer weekdays usually aren't overly crowded, either...

Fish On!

--<' \ <><><><><><>~
Old 05-02-2006, 09:05 AM

Quote:
I only get to do this once a year here and once a year in Michigan so I cherish my time spent on the water. I consider it special.
Maybe you should consider a guide next time. I know I would if I only fished a couple of times a year :-/. My take is that you don't know much about East Tennessee. A guide could take you places that you would enjoy and maybe have a little solitude to boot. Come fish in February and see how much competition you have. And another thing, there are LOTS of places to fish in East Tennessee other than the Smokies. I like the Smokies too, but when it's super crowded I avoid it or go places that are hard to get to. Plan you trips here accordingly. That is what a good guide or outfitter does.

Quote:
I'm sure there are trout at some of the places I've fished that have never seen a fly.
Are you serious? :-? As far as the swimming and lounging in a particular river goes, I say more power to 'em. But courtesy goes both ways. An uncourteous angler would be one that barged in on a group of people swimming and casting a 1/0 wiggle minnow amongst them. Wouldn't ya say?
Old 05-02-2006, 12:33 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to scflyfisher

While I have experienced tubers and swimmers in my favorite fishing places, I'm happy to deal with it in the GSMNP. I most often fish the Davidson in NC. The crowds there seem worse to me than anything I have experienced in the park. I do understand the frustrations with tubers and swimmers b/c I have certainly had them myself on occasion. However, the park to me is actually a bit of a break from what I see in NC. Ultimately, if they mess up some of my fishing for a day it's not the end of the world, I tend to get much more frustrated with food and drink that they leave behind.

Matt
Old 05-05-2006, 10:10 AM

For all of our gripes, I found these listed from a list of suggestions submitted to the US Forestry Service. A little humor goes a long way.
Forest Service Feedback
These quotations are actual comments left on Forest Service registration sheets and comment cards by hikers completing wilderness camping trips.

"Escalators would help on steep uphill sections."
"A small deer came into my camp and stole my bag of pickles. Is there a way I can get reimbursed? Please call."
"Instead of a permit system or regulations, the Forest Service needs to reduce worldwide population growth to limit the number of visitors to wilderness."
"Trails need to be wider so people can walk while holding hands."
"Ban walking sticks in wilderness. Hikers that use walking sticks are more likely to chase animals."
"All the mile markers are missing this year."
"Found a smoldering cigarette left by a horse."
"Trails need to be reconstructed. Please avoid building trails that go uphill."
"Too many bugs and leeches and spiders and spider webs. Please spray the wilderness to rid the area of these pests."
"Please pave the trails so they can be plowed of snow in the winter."
"Chairlifts need to be in some places so that we can get to wonderful views without having to hike to them."
"The coyotes made too much noise last night and kept me awake. Please eradicate these annoying animals."
"Reflectors need to be placed on trees every 50 feet so people can hike at night with flashlights."
"A McDonald's would be nice at the trailhead."
"The places where trails do not exist are not well marked."
"Too many rocks in the mountains."
"Need more signs to keep area pristine."
Old 05-05-2006, 10:19 AM

I'll challenge anyone on fishing "intrusions". A couple of years ago, I was in the middle of the Hiwassee at low water when I was stunned to confront the Hovercraft Club of Atlanta. These machines used unmuffled aircraft engines to lift them on a cushion of air. After one almost ran over me, I lost it, and began throwing rocks, thank God I dont carry a gun. I was within a mile of the Powerhouse!! At any rate, the local police, county, state and Fed. met these idiots at the take out. It is illegal to use any type of engine on a scenic river. As I have aged, I find it much easier to simply move on when confonted by these intrusions. A few years ago, if someone was in the water I planned to fish it would ruin my day, now I see it as an opportunity to explore new water. Days on the water are too important to let someone else ruin them.
Old 05-06-2006, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Maybe you should consider a guide next time. I know I would if I only fished a couple of times a year . My take is that you don't know much about East Tennessee. A guide could take you places that you would enjoy and maybe have a little solitude to boot.
Actually I have been coming to the Park for more than 30 years. The first 20 spent hiking(including a small section of the AT) and camping, and the last 10 spent fishing. I have also spent some wonderful days fishing outside the Park on the Clinch and Holston in TN and the Davidison, North Mill and South Toe in NC. I guess I come to Townsend now because it is close to the water. I can leave my motel room and be on some beautiful water in 15-20 minutes. I know that leaves me open to meeting other people along the river and that is fine, the Park belongs to everybody. It is just the really stupid stuff like kids repeatedly jumping off a bridge 20 feet from me or a mother throwing her kid in the water at my feet that I don't handle too well. I went aways above Tremont a couple of days while I was down this year and had a pretty quiet time.

As for hiring a guide, I suppose a guide could show me some waters I might not normally go to, but my objective is to get away from people and a guide kind of defeats that purpose. I work surrounded by people 5-6 days/wk for 8-10hrs/day, when I come to the Park I really do, to quote a famous actress "want to be alone" So I will continue to make my yearly pilgrimage to the Park each Spring, deal with what come up and ocassionally come on the forum to vent if that is all right.