Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2006, 09:11 PM
Kingstonian Kingstonian is offline
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Kingston, TN
Posts: 66
Default "In the film" means... *What?

I've read the term "in the film" and am not really sure what it means or how to accomplish it. *Can someone help me out? *What does it mean, how and when does it apply?

Thanks for the help!

Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 09:42 PM
Rockyraccoon's Avatar
Rockyraccoon Rockyraccoon is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Knoxville
Posts: 275
Default Re: "In the film" means...  What?

In the film refers to the surface of the water. The surface of the water will have a natural tension to it. The surface is what helps float your dry fly when you fish. Add to this a thin layer of dust, pollen, and debris that settles on the surface and you have the film.

Fishing in the film means that your fishing patterns just under the surface or partially under the surface. Maybe even a few inches below the surface. This is an import zone for the fish.

Emerging bugs must swim from the bottom, emerge somewhere along the way and break through the surface tension (film) and then dry their wings. Breaking through the film can be a tough job, meaning emerging bugs may spend several minutes trying to break on through to the other side.

Now, the surface tension will be different in different types of water. Typical, broken water has less surface tension so bugs can hatch easier in rough water. Slow moving and slick water has a much higher surface tension....so you'll see the most succsessfull duns flying away from the runs and broken water.

Hope this helps.
Goo Goo Ga Choob!
Rocky Top Anglers
East Tennessee Fly Fishing Forums
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 08:49 AM
russ's Avatar
russ russ is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 283
Default Re: "In the film" means... *What?

Surface film is surface tension. Try placing a sewing needle on the surface of a glass of water. if you are really careful, you can keep the needle from sinking due to surface tension. Surface tension along with capilary action is how tall trees get water all the way to the top from the roots, sometimes 100's of feet .
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:20 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.