Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-06-2006, 05:12 PM

Default Close Call on the Middle Prong

I was fishing the Middle Prong of the Little River this mornin, water was WAY to high. I was standing on a boulder,trying to hit a deep run, that was slopping down towards the water and lost my footing, slid right in and took me under, luckily the undercurrent didnt pull me completely to the bottom. *I definately recieved a scare. Just thought i would tell yall about my day. I also lost my wallet in this ordeal, so if one happens to show up, let me know. haha
Old 05-06-2006, 06:51 PM

Default Re: Close Call on the Middle Prong

UTK, *Welcome to the board and site. *I'm glad you are OK. *20 some odd years ago I had to swim in my waders in the Caney Fork and almost drowned. *One of our customers came in the store a few years ago with a similar story. *His foot was caught in the rocks and the current beat his body against the rocks. *He was OK but he looked like he had been beat up with bruises all over his face and arms. *These rivers here in the park or anywhere are worse than they look during high water events. *Also, last year Paula and I were with a guide in a boat in Manistee, Michigan. *A man in waders was drowning. *We got to him in time and as he held on to our boat we dragged him to shore. *He stood up in the shallow water and thanked us so we went on our business of fishing. *A minute or so later he had fallen in again. *We went back and pulled him to shore. *This poor fellow didn't have on a wading belt. *Our guide scolded him for not having one. *We ran into him later and he pointed out that he then had a wading belt. *That's one thing you should always have on. *Thanks for sharing your experience. *You may save someone's life.

Byron
Old 05-06-2006, 08:56 PM

UTK,
Glad you are ok, I know for a fact that the sreams up there can be very ruff on your body. I made the mistake of not putting on a pair of felt bottom shoes. For what I though would be just 5 or 10 minutes of fishing before a storm set in has turned out to be 3 hernitated disk in my lumbar and a pinched femoral nerve that can not be fixed. So an once of prevention is worth it weight in gold.
Danny
Old 05-06-2006, 10:41 PM

Thanks guys. It was my last trip for the school year too before I head back home. I plan on makin a trip back up before next fall with my brother from colorado. I definatly didn't want to end a good year of flyfishing up here like that.
Old 05-07-2006, 11:21 AM

Interesting story Byron, the same thing happened to me on the Caney Fork about 10 years ago as well. We were only about 100 yards from our crossing spot when we noticed the water rising. There was only one gravel bar that was passable, so we went for it rather than spending the night on the other side. We ended up swimming most of the distance, and I lost my net, sunglasses, and about 300 flies (entire large box) in the process.

Everyone take note that for some reason, the Caney Fork sends more fishers for a swim than any other tailwater in the mid south. Dont go too far from your crossing spot and watch the water like a hawk.

az
Old 05-10-2006, 08:35 AM

One good thing, everyone is here to share the stories. The Caney Fork tried to get me years ago(young & full of you know what).
I can't begin to tell of the many rescues i've done over the years from the drifter, some to sure they could make it, some scared to death & one guy that nearly killed his 2 young children while his wife sat 15 yards away & couldn't do a thing but call him everything in the book. Naturally, after we had drug all them to safety, she was all over him & the children & told him she really didn't mean to say to leave him there(that's putting it nicely).
There's 2 things that get my total respect, water & electricity, all the other's, i've got some really good(dumb) stories to tell

Grumpy
Old 05-10-2006, 01:46 PM

The Caney is unique in the way that it offers ( in addition to boating, swimming, fishing) 4X4 off-roading <not that this activity is welcomed or even allowed>. *And for that reason, the Caney has taken more than just wallets and sunglasses, but vehicles also. *
Old 05-11-2006, 08:18 AM

Quote:
The Caney is unique in the way that it offers ( in addition to boating, swimming, fishing) 4X4 off-roading <not that this activity is welcomed or even allowed>. *And for that reason, the Caney has taken more than just wallets and sunglasses, but vehicles also. *
hehehe, i've got some great stories on that one as well

Grumpy
Old 05-11-2006, 05:59 PM

I remember when the guy parked his truck and boat trailer below the high water line on Caney. *That was back in the 80's. *I watched as the water washed his rig away and I was there the next morning after the water receded and saw his truck in the middle of the river. *Come to think of it, the guy looked a lot like you Grumpy.

Byron
Old 05-11-2006, 11:37 PM

Default Re: Close Call on the caney

I know a guy who works at a hatchery and he said they had a stocking truck get washed away at betty's island a few years ago. They opened the dam unscheduled.