Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 08-22-2007, 03:23 PM

Hey John,
I am not sure what happened , but we moved up here in May a year ago and I have only been out fishing 3 times once in Fontana ,once at panther creek and once below a dam off 129 I am not sure of the name of it.Before we moved up here I used to fly up to Tenn. or W.Va. at least twice a year .You would think that after taking a year off from work that I would be fishing at least twice a week, but nooo that has not happened. I am going to turn that around after it cools down and we get water in the streams.
My E-mail address is charlie_plunkett@hotmail.com
Charlie Plunkett
Old 08-22-2007, 04:16 PM

Default Fishing 3 times

Charlie,
I'll tell you what happened, your're just way too responsible! Panther is the creek I was speaking of over toward you.
Lets get together when the weather cools and we have surely had some rain!
Best,
John
Old 08-24-2007, 03:42 PM

Default Finally got around to posting some pics

The fishing for the Lake Run fish was not great for me last year, hoping it was just a down year, as the previous 4 years were better. But here are some snaps.

I will try this then post a few more if this works. If I did this more often I would remember!
Best,
John
Old 08-24-2007, 03:49 PM

Default Notations and a few more fish!

OK! The first is my son with his best to date. Caught in early June, the fish was a little shy.
Second was just a pretty lake run fish, just shy of 15" (about average).
Third was a 19" hen that was my first fish on that rod, jumped 4 times and really was a handfull! Took the woolybugger dredged right in the head of a riffle.
Fourth was a 17" male caught on a stonefly nymph (heavy size 4' below an indicator.

The last two were actually winter 2006 fish, as I said 2007 was a slower for big fish.
Tight lines,
John
Old 08-24-2007, 04:04 PM

Default A couple more

These fish were caught on a very cold day. They were hanging out behind the fish I finally found to be suckers. There were some little black stones coming off and these fish were slashing at them. They took a black soft-hackle.
And finally a couple more fish taken from the same large pool on different cold days. I would bet both took the hare's ear with the big bead tied on a salmon egg hook. The onel I lost several fish on!
You will note that these are healthy fat fish, save for the largest rainbow, I think the brown was cleaning it's clock! The stream is not lke smokies streams, lots of moss and bugs, healthy fish, probably the result of the number of people who live along the creek! Too bad there are no regs to keep the better fish, but some of them manage to ellude the meat hunters!
Tight lines and yearning for cooler, wetter weather,
John
Old 08-29-2007, 01:51 PM

I'm planning on spending some time around Robbinsville either the 3rd week of October, or maybe the 1st three days of November. Is this a good time to be fishing Snowbird Creek?
Old 08-29-2007, 02:38 PM

Default 3rd Week of Oct -Early Nov

Duggie,
That should be a good time. The draught situation will hopefully have improved by then. You might find some browns running up the creek to spawn as well. That is typically a beautiful season in the mountains. I am seeing alot of catipillars in the trees over the creek lately, hopefully they will be woolly worms by fall, maybe bring a few girdle bugs and bitch creek nymphs with you.
Best,
John
Old 09-07-2007, 10:12 PM

Default Labor Day

Once again I didn't have my thermometer so no idea about temps. It felt warm below the confluence of big and little Snowbirds, there is much open water within a mile of there. Big Snowbird was cool and ....... loooowww.
The good thing is that the fish sighting was good, I saw a few nice fish and plan to tackle them in higher water. The water was cool to wet wade, overnite temps at 2,300 feet were ~61 deg all three days. The rain gauge showed 1-1/4" inches in the 2 weeks since we had been over, so it is dryer (much!) than normal. I caught a few fish on nymphs and drys, my best came to a small hopper, about a 10" brown. Fish in the tailouts spooked before I even made it to the top of the riffle to cast, they are really spooky right now.. I had first hand knowledge of just how much browns like to hide. I saw a decent brown head into a crack between two rocks and not come out. I wouldn't come out for a streamer and I was sure it had not left. I waded over to within 6 feet, at this point the fish was facing me. I took my rod and poked it to make sure I was seeing what I thought and it would not leave that spot. It held there until I went for it with the net! Anyway I would fish on Big Snowbird if I went and would probably use small nymphs and soft hackles, maybe a Hopper, copper, dropper rig. I wouldn't make the trip now though, wait for rain or at least cooler weather. The high for the weekend in the digital thermometer was 84 deg in the shade.
Tight lines,
John
Old 09-26-2007, 06:23 PM

Default Report for the weekend of the 22,23rd sept 07

Slooooowwww. I fished below the confluence of Little and Big Snowbird this weekend and caught a few, the best about 11" bow. I think the larger fish either moved up to Big SB or down to the lake, as the water must have been over 70 degrees those last two weeks of hot weather. The creek is the lowest I have seen it. I heard second hand about a 94 year old man who lives on a small creek over in Robbinsville. He has seen it dry twice in his life, once when he was about 6 and this summer. It is low, the strange thing is that the rain gauge showed 3.5" in the last two weeks. The high country must not have seen it though. Not good heading into the typically dry season.
Pray for rain!
Best,
John
Old 10-24-2007, 02:07 PM

Default October 20-23rd

Well happy to say it was raining when we left and had rained about 1.25" in the last 24 hours by the rain gauge! The gauge showed 1.25" when we got there as well, but it had been a while since we'd been over. The creek was still pretty low but lots of oxygen with the colder temps. Saturday night the temp hit 39! Sunday as the sun warmed things a bit the fish were active! I think I caught 7 fish in about 2.5 hours. Didn't catch any monsters but nice solid fish, all in the 11-14" range, and all on big dries. I was the funniest thing, they were really inspecting the fly from several angles then they would take is slowly. Several times before I figured this out, I set the hook as the fish turned and got nothing. I had to really wait and be sure they had take the fly before lifting. The next day the water was full of leaves and I caught one fish in a couple of hours. A few more looked but would not eat. I saw some fish in one deep pool, holding right on the edge of some rocky structure on the edge of the current. I thought they were browns and a couple were big, lake run fish I thought. They saw me though and dissappeared into the dark depths of the pool. I had hoped to fish Tuesday morning, but car trouble kept me from it!
By the time we left yesterday the creek was flowing almost at normal pool, haven't seen that since the spring! I hope we all continue to get some above average rainfall for a while to gain some ground on this draught.

Happy Brown Hunting, it is time for the spawing runs and some aggressive fish. I will post pics as soon as the roll of film is shot.
Best,
John