Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 12-03-2007, 09:54 AM

Default Distance and time

Travis,
That is right about 2 hrs 15 mins. It is 78 miles from our house in Karns..
Pellisippi to 129 (across the dragon) and right on 143 (Massey Branch rd)
Then right at the T onto Snowbird road. You hit the stream and the Dr. Nettie C. Parrot Bridge. Any deeper hole from that point on is a possible holding lie for the steelhead. The only place I would avoid is the water above where a hatchery comes into the creek (about 100 yards worth) and where the water is diverted from the creek. It can be fairly dewatered there when low. Follow the creek for a few more miles and make a left on Snowbird road again. If you miss that left you will be heading toward the Skyway and Joyce Kilmer.
Best,
John
Old 12-03-2007, 10:02 AM

Default One more note about the Skyway

If you hit the skyway before 9:00 am or so, you miss most of the bikers. Then again in the evening after 5:00pm, there are plenty of idiots out there, I drive a big old wagoneer for just that reason.
Hotels in Robbinsville; SanRan, Phillips and Microtel. There are other places around Santeetlah lake and the Snowbird Mtn lodge about 10 minutes from the creek is really nice, fine food, plush rustic surroundings etc if that suits you. There are others, just type in Western NC, Robbinsville lodging and see what you find. I can't get back until after Christmas (unless maybe for a day trip). I hope someone (or two) get there and give it a shot.
Tight lines.
John
Old 12-10-2007, 11:32 PM

Default Snowbird Dec 8th, 07

Well, after the last outing and the fish from my last post it is time for a big slice of humble pie. This weekend I drove over for the day......... and managed a big goose egg for my efforts. The weather seemed perfect, 61 degrees, cloudy and drizzly most of the day (I fished from about noon to four), saw a few fish, hooked and lost one, had one pretty good fish swim up pretty as you please and eat my big orange indicator, took it slowly, turned with it and of course let go! That is what is so fun about this sport though, no fear of ever mastering it (at least not me!). The one variable that did not look good was that the water was low and clear again, I may have needed to drop back to 5x tippet, never did try that, stuck with the 4x.
We need some rain, that will bring more fish into the creek, it was 44 degrees when I checked at about 2:30.

Best,
John
Old 12-11-2007, 01:04 PM

Default There is always next time

John,
It happens to all of us at some point. But it happens to some, like me, more than others. It isn't so bad not catching one when you know you are fishing a location that at any moment you can tie into one that will take you to your backing. That is part of the gamble we take making the significant drive to fish a place of that quality. I am planning on heading over that way on the 21st if the weather cooperates. By the way, what is the license requirement and what time period is a NC license good for? Does it begin on Jan 1 and run through Dec 31 or are they on an unusual schedule like TN? I have been looking online and can't tell if I need a hatchery supported trout permit or not.

Travis
Old 12-11-2007, 05:29 PM

Smile License requirements

Hi Travis,
Yes you will need a trout stamp. One year for license and trout stamp will cost you $ 40.00. License runs for one year from date of purchase. You can buy a three day license for about $15.00 and the trout stamp is $ 10.00 for the year. You think like I do about the fish! If I can manage to go that weekend I will if you like. Otherwise shoot me an email and I will tell you what I know............ not alot ! You can get a license at Robinson's Store back on Snowbird road, they open at 6:00 am.
Best,
Old 12-11-2007, 05:30 PM

Default jswitow@hotmail.com

OOOOooopps!
Old 01-10-2008, 04:15 PM

Default The Run

Hi All,
Hope the New Year is treating you well. The run this year is the best I have seen. If you have the chance to go, you should give it a try. Work is really hectic lately I will post pics this weekend. If you go take glow bugs in size 10 (roughly), y2ks are working well also. Fish a stone for weight, and the glowbug ~ 10" off the bend. Look for any darker run, larger slower water is preferable. 4x tippet on the dropper.
Tight lines,
John
Old 01-15-2008, 07:28 PM

Default Fishing New Years weekend and the following weekend

Well all I did not get over last weekend but the weekend the fishing was great. As I think I said in my previous post I was not too hopeful for there was as much as 12' of ice coming out from the banks (in slower sections) The water temp and 3:00 pm was 36 degrees. But the fish were in an eating mood! High temp for the day was 51 deg. We found fish in slower deeper runs and almost all came to the Y2K or plain glow bug I will post a few pics, more when I download from the digital to photobucket. The run is great this season! ,[IMG] This is the morning of New Year's Eve. The Temp was pretty cold and the water temp about 38 degr. We did not catch fish that morning. The little guy with dad is Cole Baggett. Ed is starting him off right! shortly thereafter though Cole was heard to utter Mama, he was ready to go see her! http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m149/jswitow/KathyandBlakeontheNan11-18-07plu-8.jpg[/IMG]. Thef second is a fish caught over T-Giving 21" hen, another pig. I will post more later, maybe this evening. Now is the time unless it is just bitterly cold.
Best,
John
Old 01-16-2008, 01:28 AM

Default More of this years run.

Not a whole lot else to say about the tactics that I have not said, the rain has been good you can see the ice in some of these pictures. The fish have been holding in the deeper slower runs or actually in the pools, deeper slower.
The fish are evidently pretty thick this year.....numbers and girth! , , ,, . These are some of the better fish, from two trips over for the day. Several of the fish were caught after 5pm, Steelhead are notorious for feeding at sunrise and sunset, even if they haven't fed all day long. Persistence pays.
I am trying to remember the order of posting of pictures. I know the last picture is a chrome hen, absolutely bright silver on the sides with an abrupt line of green for the back. This fish was headed to the lake, I netted downstream in a shallow run. The fish was well into my buddie's backing and evidently intent on going back to the lake! The heavy fish was caught in a very large pool and dogged around, shaking her head. Regrettably that was the first one (winter run fish) I have killed, she took the egg patter deep and bled too much. My buddy Ed took that back to Atlanta. The good thing was that she had finished spawning, she had 7 bb sized eggs left in her. This fish was caught about 10 minutes after Ed broke off the monster, in the same pool. I plan to go this weekend, have a pass from the boss! I may be too cold to fish though.
Tight lines!
John
Old 01-16-2008, 01:38 AM

Default Accessability

One more note! ChemEAngler said something about there being alot of private property along the Creek. At this point there is very little posted land. There is about 12 miles of water between the lake and the backcountry, known as the junction. Most of this 12 miles is accessable. I would bet all but about 100 yards of it is accessable, don't be discouraged by that worry.
Tight lines,
John