Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 01-18-2008, 07:35 PM

Default Fishing Tomorrow

I am going over tonight to fish tomorrow, got a weekend pass. Anyone brave or foolish to make the trip tomorrow, I will be in the creek more than likely. Look for my old blue Wagoneer or for me if you like. I have an orange harness on my chest pack, its pretty easy to destinguish.
Otherwise stay warm,
John
Old 01-21-2008, 03:25 PM

Default Saturday 1-19-08

Hi all,
This is getting awfully predictable and I can't say anything else about it except that the run is good this year. I fished in morning on Saturday and it was slow, as expected. The temp was hovering around 32 all day, water temp was 36f. I caught one small rainbow that morning and was fairly happy about it. I planned on spending the end of the day on a big hole and spent an hour running egg patterns down through it setting the hook occasoinally with nothing there. At 4:45 my indicator went down slowly and I lifted, finally a weight on the line and big head shaking. The fish stayed deep and made several runs, though none were smoking. After 10 mins I slipped the fish in the net barely and took her to the bank for a pic and quick measurements. .
24" and 15" girth then back in the water. Second largest trout I have ever landed. I am sure this fish was 6-7 lb. I was talking to some of the locals about it and they said there have been many large fish this winter. They are hopeful that this is the first solid year of many years effort stocking steelhead first into the lake, which seemed to offer little results, then stocking them into the creeks. They think the fish are finding their way back into the creeks from which they were stocked or spawned. Who knows what next year's run will be like, this year it is on!
Best,
John
Old 01-21-2008, 07:06 PM

WOW!, I could go for some of that.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttas67 View Post
WOW!
That's an understatement. I can't post the words I uttered when I saw it.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:53 AM

Default Snowbird Steelhead

You all should! I have given my info before, if you are apprehensive about going get in contact with me. I am not a guide, would just like to see more people putting them back. I know a great taxidermist who makes mounts from the photos and measurements if that is the issue. Anyway the odds are pretty good this year, of course it is fishing...........no guarantees. No substitute for persistance!
Best,
John
Old 01-25-2008, 11:43 PM

John, I'm simply stunned at how often you get into big fish. I'm sure that you catch more of them, and especially of multiple species, than anyone I know (well, that isn't a guide).
Old 01-28-2008, 10:20 AM

Default Snaildarter

I can lay claim to nothing more than dumb luck! And it is really only this time of year; the fish run up the creek to spawn out of Santeetlah lake to spawn. This year is the best I have seen in the 6 years I have been fishing for them. The fish are there though and that is the first variable, without them nothing more would be possible. I caught for more this weekend between 15 and 20 inches.
Give it a shot before the end of February!
Best,
John
Old 02-04-2008, 03:30 PM

Default Snowbird 2-3-08

Well,
I took someone over today, and as luck would have it the fish laughed at me. We fished from about 11:00 to 4:00 and had a big goose egg to show for it. It was a pretty, warm day though, (at least until the rain) and that is the biggest reason to be out, right?..... yea, of course it is! Apologies to you though Freeman! Another day. Water temp 38 degrees, water high. The rain gauge showed three inches since last weekend. Fished the standard eggs below stones. Should have tried the streamers, too lazy maybe, to rig it up. We did see a hatch and rising fish to little brown winter stones (14-16). No luck with brown Elk Hair caddis. Wishing I had tried a slow,short strip with an unweighted soft hackle, that might have turned the trick.
Hope others got out and enjoyed the day.
Best,
John
Old 02-10-2008, 07:12 PM

Default Snowbird

I drove over and fished with John yesterday. Didn't catch numbers but did get one nice fat male rainbow. John may post a photo. If he doesn't, I'll try to figure out again how to do it.
I had a real good time. John is a very nice guy and was very hospitable, showed me around and let me fish his good spots. Thanks again John

sb
Old 02-19-2008, 01:02 PM

John - I fished the creek for the first time last weekend. I got skunked but still enjoyed every minute of it. When I got back I started poking around on the net to figure out what I was doing wrong and found your posts. Thanks so much for sharing. I will be returning on Sunday!